Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting SSC with a Buckmark

NicVerAZ

I have a Buckmark that I dated from 1982, bought from a pawn shop 2 years ago. Worked on internals, added the 1911 grip adapter and a cheap Bushnell Trophy red dot on top.

Basically vision a very old Buckmark with 1911 grips and a cheap red dot on top :)

Would that be enough for me to start in Steel Challenge?

Eventually this would be a platform to learn to shoot with a red dot and hopefully move up towards the Open USPSA category via the Steel Challenge route.

Is this feasible?

I am on a budget for the moment, so right now I cannot purchase a C-More.

Thanks for all advice!

That set up will do just fine. I started with a cheap Tasco, went to a JPoint, then a C-More. I went back to the Tasco, matter of fact, a Tasco sits on my Ruger, Buckmark and my open pistol. Only problem, Tasco stopped making the sight I like, so I've managed to collect a few spares.

Oh yeah, you are well equipped to start SC. The main thing is how many mags do you have? It's would be ideal to have at least 5-6 mags so when you go to the line, you have enough loaded and ready for each string. Make sure your pistol is reliable with the ammo you plan to use and you are ready. Go have fun!

Oh, I am aware of that forum :) It's where I connected with the guy who machines the 1911 adapters.

By the way, I used to know the website of a gunsmith who advertised his expertise for the Buckmark. Anyone has it in his favorites?

I unfortunately only have 3 magazines, including an old one. I guess I can buy 3 more.

What C-More do you otherwise recommend?

I wouldn't worry about the Cmore yet until you get a few more matches under your belt and see what works for you. Cheap red dots work but the main complaints are they wash out in bright light and they break often. However, I know lots of guys at my matches that use cheap ones and have no issues. Once you do compete in a few matches and if you decide on a Cmore, the slide ride with the low mount or even a 90 degree mount would be nice. An 8 or 12 moa dot is usually preferred for SC.

Run with what you got and try others guns to see the optics. You can watch the classfieds for a used Cmore, they come up often. If you are handy with a few tools you can modify a Cmore Serendipity into a Slideride. The 8 or 12 moa dot is the most comon size dot for SC.

Make sure the gun runs and have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a suggestion between the 4" barrel or the 5.5" fluted barrel as a replacement for the stock 7.5"

If you plan to shoot iron sights, there's a slight advantage given to the 5.5 due to sight radius. The weight between is very minimal. If you planned this to be an Open SC gun, either will work equally as well so it depends on what is comfortable to you and whoever is shooting it. I have both and I like the 5.5 mostly but not by much, my daughter likes the shorter barrel.

It is going to be an open sc gun so the sight radius is not important. i was wondering more about the impact of the length issue creating a longer lever arm especially when you screw the comp on the end. I am sure there is very little difference, but wanted the opinions of people who have actually shot them before. Thanks for the response

I have a Buckmark with a TacSol barrel and C-More. It is a very reliable SC gun. Mine also has Rusty's grip adapters with 1911 panels on it. If you go to a C-More get the Allchin mount it puts the C-More as low as you can get it with a conventional mount. There are some vertical mounts that get it a little lower. It will be an easy transition from your SC gun to an Open gun for USPSA. Just learn to shoot the dot and you will be ready.

I would recommend running iron sights and saving up for a C-More. It's almost always false economy to spend money on a cheap scope.

I have the sideways mount from Bearcave Machining (available from the Dillon catalog and elsewhere) on one of my Buckmarks, and I really like it. I can switch back and forth between my iron-sighted and scoped pistols during the same match and never have a problem finding the dot, because the sideways mount puts the C-More as low as possible to the boreline. It's very close to the same sight plane as the iron sights.

• 4 months later...