Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which dot size

Mike41

Which dot size is best for Steel challenge, Ruger challenge type events, 3 MOA, or 8 MOA?

Can the smaller size be aquired quick enough?

Is the larger size too big and covers up the target at the longer distances? (Not sure how long the targets are at Ruger events and what is the longest shot in steel challenge?)

Thanks,

Mike

For steel the bigger dot is better since all you have to do is to hit the steel. I was using a 12moa for my steel gun and thought that was a good size dot for steel challenge type courses. In USPSA there are tight shots and I like the smaller 6moa dot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Using a C-More, I bought a new module and switched out a 6 for an 8. With these two modules, the dot is the same size. Another older module that is a 6 looks like it should be a 4. Luck of the draw?

Bill

Are you sure about the sizes? Did you check the color of the dot on the bottom of the module (if it's a more recent module)?

Using a C-More, I bought a new module and switched out a 6 for an 8. With these two modules, the dot is the same size. Another older module that is a 6 looks like it should be a 4. Luck of the draw?

Bill

I have seen this happen. Had a 6 that looked like a 4 and a 6 that looked like one if my 8's. Not sure if its just a brightness issue, which I know for a fact can vary from module to module, or an actual size difference but it sure seems like size. Wondered if they had mis marked them?

Bill

Are you sure about the sizes? Did you check the color of the dot on the bottom of the module (if it's a more recent module)?

The older 6 came new with a C-more and the box indicated it was a 6. It does not have the color code.

The newer modules were marked as a 6 and an 8. I moved them between different C-more bases to see if that affected anything. It didn't.

I have noticed this too. My latest "6" appears smaller than my other "6's". I would guess it is probably a 4. I don't know how they keep them straight. If you look at the hole made for the light to come through in the module, it's hard to see any different between a 4 and a 12.

I had a few 8s and when I switched over to most of them being 6s, I could really tell the difference. The reason I switched is because I saw a friend's 6s and liked them better (for IPSC).

Cmore could have got them confused but seems unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does no one use the smaller 3 MOA mini RDS from Burris, etc:? I am new to pistol shooting, but the smaller dots suggest greater accuracy to me. WHat am I missing?

For steel challenge the goal is to hit the plate fast. Dead center or on the edge, they both count. So pin point accuracy is not needed.

For most, me included, the larger the dot the faster it can be acquired.

As your comments accurately infer, the larger the dot, the less precise the aiming point. So its a balancing act. Get the largest dot you can so you can find it fast but small enough that you can get your hits fast.

For most competitors, that something in the 6 to 8 MOA range. A while back due to the bright Texas sun, I was having problems finding the dot. I went to a 12 MOA and that worked really well until I needed to shoot some distant targets. I could still hit them but the large dot covering too much of the target caused me to slow down in aiming.

Bill

Why does no one use the smaller 3 MOA mini RDS from Burris, etc:? I am new to pistol shooting, but the smaller dots suggest greater accuracy to me. WHat am I missing?

For steel challenge the goal is to hit the plate fast. Dead center or on the edge, they both count. So pin point accuracy is not needed.

For most, me included, the larger the dot the faster it can be acquired.

As your comments accurately infer, the larger the dot, the less precise the aiming point. So its a balancing act. Get the largest dot you can so you can find it fast but small enough that you can get your hits fast.

For most competitors, that something in the 6 to 8 MOA range. A while back due to the bright Texas sun, I was having problems finding the dot. I went to a 12 MOA and that worked really well until I needed to shoot some distant targets. I could still hit them but the large dot covering too much of the target caused me to slow down in aiming.

Bill

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for tolerating what I am sure is common knowledge for you all.