Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Kadet 22 conversion- initial impressions, review

lugnut

I wanted to get something similar to my CZ 75 Shadow T to shoot for additional practice. I reload and it saves me money but it's not only the cost... it's the time. When I shoot a few hundred rounds a few times a week in mid season- it's just a PITA to find time to shoot, never mind reloading!

So I picked up a conversion kit direct from the CZ Custom shop- where I got my CZ and went on my way. They shipped real fast. I ordered an extra mag too, the kit comes with two.

The fitting wasn't much of an issue at all. I only had to file the lugs on the front of the slide. I wish the directions were a little more thorough but a couple of fine folks on this forum were kind enough to give me guidance last night! I guess the idea is to file the lugs just enough so you can install the slide on the frame- it doesn't need to be tight but it shouldn't be loose.... after all- it's doesn't need to slide! LOL

Once it was fitted I had to change the mainspring. :( The sad face isn't because that is hard at all... it's just the CGW 8.5 lb spring is REAL nice and was 100% reliable with the 9mm reloads I make. Not going to work with the 22s though. I've been told that to get 100% reliability with 22s I'd need a 17lb spring. I had a 17 or 20 my friend lent me. Let me tell you.... the DA pull now is a real downer. It's well over the 10-12lb range.. much more than what my 9mm set up was.

Initially the bolt/slide didn't seem to lock back on an empty chamber. Not sure why. I cleaned the mags since they were full of grease and went to the range to test out the gun. It worked like a champ. Locked back every time it went dry too by the way. Shooting the 22 CZ made me giggle a bit. The gun is almost the same weight as the 9mm version and it's just so easy to shoot. I must have put 200+ rounds downrange and it ran perfectly. It grouped real tight at 20 yards- even though I didn't have my shooting glasses on. It was a charm to shoot.

Two things I need to figure out.

One- the DA is useless now. I don't think I'll be able to practice my production draws with this set up. However I might end up doing drill from a low ready start- like mid stage practice. Or I may use it in SA with the safety. Either way- not much you can do- and I was prepared for this. I didn't bring my gear so I wasn't able to draw from my holster... but my holster works just fine with the 22 kit.

Two- the sights. Man they just suck ass. I mean the sights physically are good. But the front sight is WAY too wide and why in God's name do they use these silly ass green dots??? I don't get it. I HATE dots. Did I mention I HATE them? I use black on black but even a front FO would be fine. I'll just use some Sight Black on them till I decide what to do. I may file down the front sight. I think it's about .125" whereas my regular CZ has a .090" so the difference is huge. Does anyone have ideas on this? Did anyone modify them on their Kadet kit?

All in all it's a great set up that I would highly recommend. I can work past and figure out the sight issue and avoid DA. I still think it will be a great training aid. I plan on shooting my 9mm after every session with the conversion... funny- the 9mm seems like a magnum load after shooting the 22 for a while.

Well, I went thru two Kadet kits before buying the full Kadet pistol and even that is not very close to the Shadow I shoot in Production.

I've had some fine-tuning done on my SP-01 Shadow (by CeeZer) to bring the DA pull to 5.25# and SA is about 3#. With that hammer spring I would get 70%-80% failure to ignite on the Kadet kits. And as I have thin aluminum grips on my Shadow which need to be loctited not to fall all, changing the hammer spring each time I wanted to shoot .22LR wasn't an option.

With the softer hammer spring on the Kadet pistol I still sometimes (about 5%) get failures to ignite with the DA pull over 7# and SA (as far as I remember) about 5#.

They do feel like totally different guns even with just 2# difference in the trigger pull, so considering the cost of the Kadet kits/guns you'd be better off just spending that money on 9mm ammo and training with that.

I had a Kadet kit and, like you, had to put a heavy main spring in my sp-01 shadow to get reliable ignition. It raised the double action pull substantially. But it also raised the single action pull to near 5 pounds. Because it didn't really simulate the pull on my shadows, I sold it. For .22 practice, I now just use either my tweaked Ruger Mark III (2.7 pound pull) or even more often my tweaked Buckmark (3.4 pound pull) The triggers are much easier to work with than the Kadet.

My Kadet kit has been great. I never changed the mainspring on my SP-01; the SA pull doesn't need to change when I switch to the kit. (reworked sear and sear-spring give a clean 3 lb break)

Too bad they don't offer a magazine that delivers more than ten rounds.

One nuisance is the minimal surface available on the slide to grasp if a feed failure does occur. Fortunately that isn't common.

Just got my Kadet Kit recently. OP is right on with his review. My complaints are:

1. Had to replace my 15 lb. mainspring, with the factory 20 lb. spring to avoid light strikes. I'm hoping that after it loosens up I can switch back to the lighter spring. Not a deal breaker, but I like the feel with the lighter spring.

2. I also don't like the light green dot sights. On my 9 mm slide I replaced the front sight with a FO sight from CZC. I plan to do the same on the Kadet. I think the 6.5 mm sight will be very close to the correct height on the Kadet: http://czcustom.com/CZ-Fiber-Optic-Front-Sight-6.5mm-0.100-with-1.0mm-FibreRod.aspx I plan to contact CZC to see if they know for sure.

3. Only 10 round mags available unless you build your own, and extra mags. are expensive ($40+). I've had a few failures of the slide to lock on the last shot, so next step I'll try to clean the mags.

Even with the complaints, I really like the Kadet. Shooting 375 rounds at about the same cost as 50 9mm rounds makes it a great deal. I don't start feeling guilty at the range now when I reach the 200 round mark.

There's a reason Double Action 22s suck!

Heavy DA pulls just to make them go bang.

my kadet is converted to SAO with a 17# mainspring. SA is at 2.25#. Perfect 22 steel gun and trainer for little ones and new shooters.

2. I also don't like the light green dot sights. On my 9 mm slide I replaced the front sight with a FO sight from CZC. I plan to do the same on the Kadet. I think the 6.5 mm sight will be very close to the correct height on the Kadet: http://czcustom.com/...ibreRod.aspx I plan to contact CZC to see if they know for sure.

6.5mm is the correct height, this is the sight I use on my kadet: https://czcustom.com/CZ-Fiber-Optic-Front-Sight-6.5mm-0.100-with-1.0mm-FibreRod.aspx now. I do like the 1.0 FO rod on it but you may want to go for a thicker one.

Hmmm. Never thought of this... but why would you convert to SA only vs just use the DA/SA gun in SA mode with safety?

Less pre travel in the trigger is one huge plus. Personally, besides using one to shoot production, I don't why anyone would want a double action CZ.

Hmmm. Never thought of this... but why would you convert to SA only vs just use the DA/SA gun in SA mode with safety?

Less pre travel in the trigger is one huge plus. Personally, besides using one to shoot production, I don't why anyone would want a double action CZ.

Production is about all I shoot. Big reason for DA for me.

• 3 weeks later...