Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or 38 STI mags? The same?

Tattoo

Hey all,

I am going to have an Open gun made in the near future and I am not sure if Its going to be .38 sc or 9mm Major, but I want to get mags now......

Are the 9mm and 38 Dawson 140mm mags different? I know you need a spacer in the 9mm, but other

than that they are interchangeable? What about adding a Dawson extended basepads and grams spring/follower? Are they the same for both 38 and 9mm?? Thanks?

T

Edited by Tattoo

They dont always need a spacer. There are several extensive threads on it but to keep it brief, try it first and keep your oal long, 1.165 or greater and most say it will work without a spacer. If you get jams, try spacer but like mentioned above, the follower is different for use with or without a spacer. The stainless Hardy spacer seems to be the most popular. Also, Hardy recommends not to glue it in place, just fit it right so it can be removed for cleanings.

I put hardy's in my STI tubes and can load out to 1.17 with no problem. I also siliconed them in. They come loose about mid season and I just clean them up and repeat. I abhor the rattling of loose spacers in my mags.

The tubes are the same. The 9mm mags are a 38super mag with a spacer in it. What is different is the grams follower is not the same for the 9mm with a spacer and the 38/38sc without one. If your looking for mags now for fear of a ban, buy the tubes and then wait till you decide on the caliber to get the guts

Also, not sure if know but if you have an STI polymer grip and if you can get the old style SVI mags, no spacers are needed...period. It's just a little difficult to get but if you watch the classifieds, they do come up for sale. The new style SVI mags require some slight mods to get them to fit but I've heard good luck with getting them to work with STI grips.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I thought I had this figured out.....

But for Dawson Basepads...... If I go 9 Major do you use a +1 or +1 SNL?

I heard that the 9mm round can get stuck on the tube lip? What is with the

Dawson 9mm basepad??? Never knew it existed.......

T

Thanks guys. Are the Grams 40 followers and 38 followers the same? I already have 40 mags for Limited. If so I may buy 9mm guts. But either way I will get the 9/38 tubes.

T

No...

They're the same according to their website. Followers for 38, 40 and 45 are the same. 9 is slightly shorter.

Thanks guys. Are the Grams 40 followers and 38 followers the same? I already have 40 mags for Limited. If so I may buy 9mm guts. But either way I will get the 9/38 tubes.

T

No...

They're the same according to their website. Followers for 38, 40 and 45 are the same. 9 is slightly shorter.

Thanks! Thats what I thought. I noticed it on Shootersconnection too. Just drop 40 drop guts and basepads in 9mm

mags plus the spacers.