Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cameras and mounts

12bar

Hello,

Newbie starting out. What cameras and types of mounts are people using?

Anyone have experience with the Ion Pro WiFi?

Looks like many are using two cameras. One POV on head or glasses and then someone else filming from behind?

Thanks for the help

POV and ThirdParty each have their benefits. I am using a Veho MUVI Atom mounted on my headphones. The POV video lets me see what I am doing and shows me certain types of issues. Third Party video helps in that it shows you gross issues, like movement, and allows you to see how you work threw a stage.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the video. The POV on the head and video from behind are great to show others what you did and saw. If you are using the video as a training tool you need the camera in front of you or to the side.

If you put a video camera on a tripod in a position where you can see yourself in action you will be able to learn a lot about what you do under stress and how you are doing with the things you are working on. Obviously you have to think a bit about positioning the camera to avoid getting damaged but it's not that hard. You do have to take into consideraton the splatter off poppers and rocks that come off the berms that will be flying around. I have used the same video camera for two years to record 3-gun and pistol match action with no damage to the camera.

The others in your squad have to be ok with something out on the course of fire but I have never had anyone even know it was there once the beeper goes off. They all tease me about shooting it and of course I tell them it is a bonus target - they get to keep it if they hit it.

Try it out when you go practice to see what you think. My shooting partner and I are all over it now after every match to see how we are doing with things we are working on. You'll be surprised how much you learn.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have mine mounted in the same position as alecmc and use the snow goggle mount secured by some cable ties. I put some pieces of foam in between the 2 pieces of the mount to stop it from moving around.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone used the higher frame rate (60fps) of the Contour Roam2 to get a slow motion assessment of your skills? If so, was it helpful?

I use the 120fps on my go pro and find it super helpful because I can push to 100% speed in practice and easily see what im screwing up. I also noticed with the POV slow motion it was interesting to see how the gun moved in recoil between myself shooting and a few other friends.

Has anyone used the higher frame rate (60fps) of the Contour Roam2 to get a slow motion assessment of your skills? If so, was it helpful?

I use the 120fps on my go pro and find it super helpful because I can push to 100% speed in practice and easily see what im screwing up. I also noticed with the POV slow motion it was interesting to see how the gun moved in recoil between myself shooting and a few other friends.

How do you attach your GoPro when you're shooting. The Contour seems like it could attach to a set of muffs, but the go pro seems a bit large.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread is kinda old but what the hell.

I use a Roam2 mounted on the bill of a hat. I used the Contour goggle mount and re-purposed with some drilling.

3J2BFI7.jpg

0aYLEaH.jpg

I angled it so that it would sit right on top of my left eye since that is where i line up the pistol when shooting.

Here is some video.

(crap shooting......C Class shooter)

Hi, the very first 2 years in IPSC I have used CamOne camera- it was expensive ( 100 Euro), large and the video was crappy

Video from this quality:

When it passed away (2 years ago) I have bought 808 #16 ver2 camera. it is 720P HD light ( 35 gramms) camera, it's battery held up for 2 hours of video recording and the card of 8G will hold 1 hour 20 min of recording.

Video of it's quality

There is a website - and there is video review of Techoman - he is British and he tests cameras

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808-16-V2-Lens-D-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-HD-720P-Pocket-Camcorder-8GB-/150870367029?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2320931b35#ht_5718wt_1161

I have mounted it on the hat with 2x2 inch velcro it holds up ok with all the competitions and training.

Lately I wanted to upgrade to 1080P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-Full-HD-Sports-Camera-1080P-30FPS-720P-60FPS-Pocket-Camcorder-/151071891306?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item232c961f6a

Video of it's quality:

Edited by asimonp79