Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 45 going auto

sjs

i just put a new drop in kit in my old war horse 45. This consisted of a new hammer ,sear,disconnestor, and leaf spring. I fired one round-and the hammer failed to reset. I cycled the slide, the hammer stayed back and then I fired again. This time one trigger squeeze and three rounds down range. Any advice as to the problem(s)?

Some random thoughts:

sear hook too small

sear angle not right (hammer or sear or both)

pin holes in frame not square

pin holes in frame not parallel

trigger not resetting adequately (overtravel adjustment)

sear spring set too light

for a few

Guy

Lots of possibilities as to causes for this. Unless you know what you're doing, it's best to take it to someone who's knowledgable and have them figure it out. If you're intent on messing with it, I'd start by adjusting the sear spring, and that's the most likely culprit.

• 3 weeks later...

If it is a drop in kit from a reputable manufacturer, then adjust the spring tension on the disconnector first.

Other things to take into consideration:

over travel adjustment

sear feet / disconnector relationship and fitting (have you checked this?)

that is where I would start

something else should also be noted; it's good practice to test for this w/o going to the range. Do a slide lock, and drop the slide a couple of times to see if the hammer will follow. Not only is this an important part of safety check, it also prevents the gun from going into auto, with a live rounds.

something else should also be noted; it's good practice to test for this w/o going to the range. Do a slide lock, and drop the slide a couple of times to see if the hammer will follow. Not only is this an important part of safety check, it also prevents the gun from going into auto, with a live rounds.

You can do this as a rough test,but it is not accurate or reilable. Seen many guns pass this "test" and still double or go full auto. It's also not good for your new hammer and sear, as it beats up the contact surface.