Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 shot .357

Ted Murphy

Hello,

I was considering getting an 8 shot .357 magnum revolver to play with. This would be for a local steel league, and range use. I might use it in a USPSA match or two for fun, and perhaps ICORE if my schedule ever jibes with a match. No comp, probably no optic, minor loads only.

I was looking at the 627. 8 shot, 4" barrel.

I also was looking at the 327 TR8. 8 shot, 5" barrel.

The S&W web page is vague but I have heard the TR8 is cut for moon clips. Is that true?

Is the 627 cut for clips too?

The main reason I found the TR8 attractive is the lighter weight. I would think that after shooting Glocks for a few years, the 41 ounce 627 would be slow to drive. The 327 is 6 ounces lighter, which I thought would make it more responsive for a minor gun. Anyone with any experience with this?

Lastly, will the scandium frame hold up as a heavy use range gun? I have no experience with them.

Thank you,

Ted

Hello,

I was considering getting an 8 shot .357 magnum revolver to play with. This would be for a local steel league, and range use. I might use it in a USPSA match or two for fun, and perhaps ICORE if my schedule ever jibes with a match. No comp, probably no optic, minor loads only.

I was looking at the 627. 8 shot, 4" barrel.

I also was looking at the 327 TR8. 8 shot, 5" barrel.

The S&W web page is vague but I have heard the TR8 is cut for moon clips. Is that true?

Is the 627 cut for clips too?

The main reason I found the TR8 attractive is the lighter weight. I would think that after shooting Glocks for a few years, the 41 ounce 627 would be slow to drive. The 327 is 6 ounces lighter, which I thought would make it more responsive for a minor gun. Anyone with any experience with this?

Lastly, will the scandium frame hold up as a heavy use range gun? I have no experience with them.

Thank you,

Ted

Personally I would get the stainless 627, a good trigger job, about 10 Hearthco moonclips to start and a fiber optic front and rear sight set from Protocol Design. Cry once you won't be disappointed. I would not trust the scandium frame to hold up under competition stresses for long.

I have 3 627s and all are stainless PC guns. The scandium frame will not hold up to competition and heavy use, it was nort designed for that. Find a PC 627 in stainless with the 5" barrel. The PC guns are setup for moonclips. Warren at Protocol Design can do the action work needed and change the sights while he has the gun. If you have the competition action job done on a S&W revolver you must use Federal primers seated deep if you want reliable ignition. Have Warren do the action work , bob the hammer and change the sights and you will be ready to go.

I have 3 627s and all are stainless PC guns. The scandium frame will not hold up to competition and heavy use, it was nort designed for that. Find a PC 627 in stainless with the 5" barrel. The PC guns are setup for moonclips. Warren at Protocol Design can do the action work needed and change the sights while he has the gun. If you have the competition action job done on a S&W revolver you must use Federal primers seated deep if you want reliable ignition. Have Warren do the action work , bob the hammer and change the sights and you will be ready to go.

Not sure about the pro series but if you find a great deal on one that is not cut for moon clips Warren can do that as well. You might PM him and find out what his work load is, he is always busy. If you can get Warren to do the job you will be very pleased with the results.

Edited by toothguy

Yes each S&W 8-shot 627 curently avalible is ready for moons. Both the Pro and PC models are cut for moons. I have a 4" pro 627 8-shot carry gun just itchin for some IDPA practice. Anything you wish to share?

Since they are both cut for moon clips unless you want the longer sight radius I would save $300. and get the pro.