Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ITRC O4 Pictures from Day 1

We just go through with the first day of the match and we shot the helicopter stage first. JP is the sponsor and they provide two rifles and ammo. There are 5 poppers on the hillside that you need to hit as many times as possible. I went up alone and got 3 hits out of 30rds. Here are some of the pics.

heli1.jpg

On the pad ready for take off

heli2.jpg

trying not to get hit by the blades

heli3.jpg

Loading up and getting the rifle from the RO

heli4.jpg

Ready for take off

heli5.jpg

Loaded and ready to go

heli6.jpg

Heading towards the targets

heli7.jpg

Coming back.

After we shot the helicoper stage we moved to the field course. Here is a picture before.

before.jpg

Here is the picture of my partner Mike Kolar and myself after the 1.5 miles stage.

after.jpg

Hey Alan, that helicopter doesn't look "fat guy friendly".

When they said helicpoter stage I was thinking a Huey with the sliding side doors ala Vietnam..

Good luck on the rest of the match!

Todd

Hey Alan...

The helicopter stage ROCKED! I eeeked out 3 hits, and was DARN glad to have 'em.

On the other hand, I couldn't hit THE GROUND shooting out of the moving Humvee. On camera, I attributed this to the undeniable fact that the pepper poppers must have been bouncing up and down. Or an eathquake. Or maybe twinkies.

I've got to say the ITRC is one heck of a match; fiercely good competition and excellently designed stages. And [here comes the blatant commercial plug!!] you can see it next February EXCLUSIVELY on SHOOTING GALLERY.

mb

I ended up with 3 Hits also. The best way to sum it up is the whole match is not "Fat Guy Friendly" I plan on lossing a few lbs when this is over. The helicopter targets are IPSC poppers between 70 and 100 yards estimated while slowly moving (two passes with the heli cavitating and the wind blowing it further from the targets).

Fat Guy Friendly, you must be kidding! Course two could charitably be called grueling, but a fat man like myself managed OK. Just repeat the phrase, "Heat stroke ain't no thang but a chicken wing!" and drive on.

Seriously, once again this is the most fun I have had at a match. It rocks, but you'll see that on Shooting Gallery. Sam is the best match partner in the world, even though his gas block was evidently attached with Scotch tape! I'll post more detailed stuff later, got to work.

Guys,

Please post comments on the other stages - I've done this match a couple times and was not able to attend this year. I'll be there next year for sure, but were the stages the same (again!). The Bambi course, the palm tree course, and the gully course?

Did Dave come up with anything else?

Thanks !!!!!

The guns were grounded at the first firing point, other than that you were required to hump all your gear for the O course. Since many of us were laden with 20-30 pounds of crap, the rules allowed your partner to support your feet as you went across the monkey bars. It will still get your heart rate a thumpin'.

Penalty for skipping an obstacle was 50 points per person per obstacle. I was so winded after the monkey bars that I skipped one of the obstacles where you climb up to a platform and slide down a pole. We finished the shoothouse with one minute to spare, so I think I made the right call there.

Sam just climbed over everything, no problem, but that guy is always trying to make me look bad.

Man, I couldn't survive humping all that way over rough terrain, much less with all of that ammo and gear, much less with freakin' obstacles!

I'd love to try, though!

Does the Med-Evac service in Wyoming has a Chinook available by any chance? :lol:

You do get one bonus point for each full minute you finish early, but generally there are more points available on the course. We knew from timing other teams that the shoothouse was taking at least 15-20 minutes, so at 15 to go we dropped everything and went to where the points were.