Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel ports in a cone comp barrel

blaster113

Noticed that the guns which have barrel ports (aka so called "Popple" type holes) are all bull barreled guns. My Open gun has a 10.8 oz. lightened slide, has a skinny barrel with Brazos cone comp and is on the light side with a dot that tracks straight up and down. I was thinking about a way to decrease the dot movement. I tried springs, powder, and lighter bullets (currently using 124/125). Toying with the idea of having a slot cut in my slide and adding some barrel ports. Figure it would be a cheaper than buying a new top end or new gun. Anyone did this? tried the search function and got some info, but I was looking for a sort of consensus.

I had two "Poppel" holes in my cone-comped 9mm. I replaced the barrel to get rid of them... I hated the extra noise and my nose always had powder-covered boogers after a good days shoot :surprise:

The gun is chambered in .38SC. The dot doesn't leave the glass and goes straight up and down. Have a 90 degree mount if that matters and a "pedal thumb rest". After trying several powders I settled on N105 as it gave the best dot movement; minimal side to side squiggle and that dot tracks straight vertically. I put in a tungsten guide rod and it helped a little. Slide weight is 10.8 oz. bare. Current load is 9.8/10.0 grains of N105 with a 125 grain Zero or Hornady HAP for 170+pf. I was thinking of buying 500 121's and bump up my current load to see if that does anything. I tried a small quantity of 115's/121's when I first started working up loads but I am going to revisit this and try again, this time with bigger quantities of bullets. Regarding springing, I have a 9lb ISMI recoil spring in there. Would going down to an 8lb make a difference?

I am primarily a Limited shooter but want to shoot this thing in a major next year. I'd like to tweak the gun now then start practicing in earnest leading up to the match. I shot this gun steadily for about 6 months last year and in 2 majors (Open Nats and A2) and the dot movement was still not to my liking.

We have two very good Open Masters at our club. I listen to both of them for advice, but their guns are drastically different. One has a 2011 based 5" gun with comp only and no holes, the other has a Caspian based gun with a 4 port hybrid barrel and titanium comp. Of all the guns I tried I like the Caspian based gun the best cause the dot sort of twitches upward a little, and I'd like my dot to do something like that.

Wow, you are getting 170 with 9.8? It took me 11.1 to get 171.8 with a 121 at Nats (although I do have two small barrel ports). I would still push it up to around 173 or so. I have had and seen several Open guns flatten out nicely with PF in that range using 105, N38 and 4756. Not sure why, but it does seem like the sweet spot.

With 9.8 the pf may be a smidge under 170. Using it for local matches. At A2 in 2011 10.0 grains of N105 got me 174.7 pf on the chrono with a 125 grain Hornady HAP. The load felt OK but I figure I'd try some loads with a 9.8 grain charge. I'll kick it back up to 10.0, and start at 10.0 with 121's and work up.

They really need to sell N105 in 4lb bottles! :(

Edited by blaster113

I used to have 2 popple holes in my cone comped 9 mm gun. Super loud and it will jack up your c-more in a hurry with a 90 degree mount. No blast shield. I would try to find a load that you like better with 121's or 115's like Hiro told you. The same load went from 170 power factor to 182 with changing barrel to one with no holes also.

I’ve been using an old .38 super with 5” skinny barrel and cone 3 chamber comp (no holes).

115 grainers definitely keep the gun flatter than 124 grain bullets, and on the timer I have proven I can shoot it a tiny bit faster (bill drills, etc..)…but actually prefer the “feel” of 124 grain bullets more. Never felt the need for holes using either bullets as the dot tracks predictably with both, and that is what I find to be most important.

The 115 grain bullets may take you to where you want to be. Need to report back with what you find!

will do. I'm actually looking forward to working up loads all over again with this gun. This time I'm not going to mess around with different powders and just load everything with N105. I've got to get off my ass and get this sorted out since I'm probably going to use this in the state match in a few months haha