Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg JM 930 Pro...First range report

shuter

So I got my 930 JM earlier in the week and got to the range for a quick trip yesterday. Never owned a Mossberg before. Just felt there were higher quality options out there. But I'm just getting started in 3-Gun and wanted to save some money. The reports on the JM were mostly favorable, and it seemed almost completely set up for the sport, so I figured what the heck (will be sending my follower to C-Rums for welding up and getting some Tru-Lock extended chokes, but that's about it). Picked up the gun locally for $569, which I felt was a pretty good deal (got the 8+1, 22" model). Range report not particularly exciting, but I fired 60 shells of mixed variety with no malfunctions of any kind. Ejection was brisk and consistent and the gun feels relatively "soft". I like it a lot, and I'm relieved that it ran 100%. I fired the following:

1 box of Mirage (Italian) 7 1/2, 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz.

1 box of Remington "All Purpose Sport Loads" 8, 3 1/4 dram, 1 oz.

10 leftover Remington "Nitro Mag" 6's. These had some pop!

These shell were all SEVERAL years old. Been sitting around forever. Anyway, I didn't have time to pattern. Just shot them out to 20 yards on silhouettes. That's it for now, but I'm liking this shotgun so far!

shuter

I have one too and am very happy with of as well for the price. I have only had one malfunction in the first 300 rounds that I've put through it, this was without cleaning it before use (only wiping it down a bit). Definitely a great starter gun for 3gun... Hope it lasts

Forgot to mention that I tore down, cleaned and lubed the gun well before taking it to the range.

I have one too and am very happy with of as well for the price. I have only had one malfunction in the first 300 rounds that I've put through it, this was without cleaning it before use (only wiping it down a bit). Definitely a great starter gun for 3gun... Hope it lasts

yup, just runs all shells right out of the box....+ it has some nice additions over the regular 930's... The xxl Nordic cap gives another round in the 22" with out a spring change....how could you complain???....

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the wrong thread

Got my JM pro 22 at the nations gun show. I only saw one and I bought it on the spot. Otd for 624 with VA sales tax. I cleaned it and took it to the range. Had several FTE and a couple of ghost feeds. I expected a bit of trouble durring break in. I was using Winchester universal from Wally world. I'm sure now that the first cleaning I did was poor. I'm also sure that I installed the mag tube improperly, a bit unscrewed fron the gas tube. That had to contribute to the ghost feeding. I loaded some hotter shells, 1250fps vs 1200. It liked the hotter shells better but did have one FTE with those. I put about 150 shells through it.

I cleaned it up a second time and paid lots of attention to the gas piston, gas rings and the gas tube on the barrel. There was some heavy carbon on the mag tube also from the factory that I noticed but didn't work had on, durring the second cleaning I had to work hard to remove that, i nearly pollished the OD of the tube where the gas piston rides. I made sure that the piston moved really smooth, it was fairly tight last time. I'll post up on the second trip to the range, the day after turkey day.

I plan to use several different brands of shells with above 1200fps.

When it runs right it is a blast, excuse the pun. I'm sure I'll get it reliable within the next couple of hundred rounds. It shoots fairly softly. I'm happy with my choice and that I found one. It'll be my 3 gun shotty.

Black Friday range report. Second outing with my new JM Pro 22

I went back to Wally world to load up on various shells. I posted above about shooting the Win universal 1200fps shells. I know think these are poor shells for the JM Pro.

After reading up on this forum about how to properly clean and lube a 930, (thanks Billy)' I went back and wiped down the moving parts to eliminate the excess oil on the bolt, piston and gas rings. I'm used to lots of oil being a good thing, my baretta 92f likes to run wet.

So I did an ammo and function test at the range. Starting with the highest FPS shells the test was fully load the gun and slow fire eight rounds. Reload 4 shells and rapid fire. I had had a few too many FTE's last time and was concerned I'd have to send my JM back for work.

Here's the ammo and the result, it's kind of a Winchester shell review for auto loaders.

Winchester Super Speed Xtra 2.75, 1350fps, 7.5 shot. Ran perfect

Winchester Super X high brass. 2.75, 1330fps 7.5 shot. Ran perfect, the high brass rounds feel like the hang up durring loading. I was practicing loading twins style and the second shell would hang up loading in the shell tube.

Winchester Super X steel shot. 2.75, 1325, 7 shot. Ran perfect

Winchester Super Target. 2.75, 1200fps, 7.5 shot. Ran perfect

Winchester Universal 2.75, 1200fps, 7.5 shot The round in the chamber fired and ejected normally. The second round fired and the shell ejected fully from the chamber but not the gun. This caused the third round to misdeed. I cleared the spent shell reloaded the misted shell. The following 7 shells ran perfect.

So in the first 48 shots I had one FTE and one FTF because of the FTE. Way better then last time.

I then reversed the ammo, sticking with the lower power shells, 1200fps moving backwards throught the above ammo, I finished the boxes of shells. I also ran another full box of the Win Super Speed Xtra. so after one FTE the next 102 shells ran perfect.

I'm pretty excited. This is a great result. I'm sure now that my JM Pro will work with any reasonably good ammo.

I did drop the stock by .025 of an inch with the supplied spacers. It gave me a better sight line on the rib of the gun. I was shooting highbefore, with the change I was dead center of mass at 15 yards.

I played with the included chokes as well after this. The chokes make a huge difference in spread. The modified choke has a constant spread at 15 yards fully covering the full silhouette target, the full choke puts all pellets well inside a full size man target at the center of mass. This is the choke I think would be best for shots over 10 yards, or knocking over steel targets.. The IMP Cylender choke fully covered the whole silhouette including the head. It was a very wide spread with out much density.

I'd say my JM Pro is good to go. I'm eager to start 3 gun.

Highside989,

I'm glag you're enjoying you JM on Black Friday instead of standing in line somewhere, or sitting a work like me with nothing to do but cruise the internet.

Once your JM is broken in you may want to try some of the weaker Winchester Universal 2.75, 1200fps, 7.5 shot, again. Mine seems to run fine with these now but I have about 2K through mine.

Congrats Highsider989 on your JM Pro. Your post is making me more anxious to get mine put back together. I sent my carrier out to C-Rums a little over a week ago to get welded and slotted. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it will be back Monday. Mine too has run flawlessly with WST 7.5 1200fps Low brass and Winny X as well. I added a Nordic XXL cap to give my 9+1 (11 with a ghost for outlaw matches) and it nicely reduces the spring tension just enough for faster reloads yet has worked as I said flawlessly. I also put a Briley extended LM choke and a Hi viz rear sight to complete it.

Lts and bg

I will indeed try again with the win uni 1200fps. It's a very gentle recoil with those rounds. The hi power shells make my JM feel like a real shotgun. I do prefer the reduced recoil. I think it would be easier the acquire the next target using the lighter rounds. I'll shoot it next week again. I'm sure that it needed break in and proper cleaning. so far it has only about 300-350 rounds through it.

I'm looking forward to using it outside. I don't want to change it much until I shoot a match with it. I am considering a rear sight though.

Highsider, can you link to the particular "how to clean and lube a 930" post that you referred to? Would appreciate it. Got my lifter back from C-Rums and can't wait to get back to the range with it! Also have a set of extended tubes coming. Will update when I've shot some more. Thanks for all the input, guys!

After reading up on this forum about how to properly clean and lube a 930, (thanks Billy)' I went back and wiped down the moving parts to eliminate the excess oil on the bolt, piston and gas rings. I'm used to lots of oil being a good thing, my baretta 92f likes to run wet.

Highsider, can you link to the particular "how to clean and lube a 930" post that you referred to? Would appreciate it. Got my lifter back from C-Rums and can't wait to get back to the range with it! Also have a set of extended tubes coming. Will update when I've shot some more. Thanks for all the input, guys!

Biggest thing that needs cleaned is the rings on the piston......take them off the piston and clean them spotless to the point when put back on the piston they rattle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Roger that, will do. Thanks.

Biggest thing that needs cleaned is the rings on the piston......take them off the piston and clean them spotless to the point when put back on the piston they rattle.

Roger that, will do. Thanks.

Shuter. I'm not sure where I found the thread.. I searched all of the posts on the 930's

Here is what I did. The mag tube where the piston rides had carbon on it from the factory. I had to use fine steel wool CLP and gun oil to clean it off. I made sure that area was smooth and spotless. I really ended up polishing that area. I removed the gas rings from the piston to inspect and clean them. As for lubeing the bolt and piston I oiled the parts and then wiped off excess oil only leaving a very fine coating, same for the interior of the gas chamber on the barell. I made sure the piston moved easily once assembled. The first time I cleaned the gun it was very tight. I also lightly oiled the mag tube spacer between the piston and the pusher assembly.

It ran way better after this. I'm sure it will be 100% reliable after a few hundred more rounds.

Thanks very much, guys. Very helpful stuff. Mine ran 100% out of the box, but I only fired 60 shells. Will be doing lots of practice now that I have my welded up lifter back, though! This info will help going forward.

I'll add my first impressions during my first and second club level matches. I have the 24" model and everything is stock. I purchased it new and cleaned it very well prior to the first match. It has run without a hic-up while shooting a variety of shot shells and slugs. I have kept the dram equivalent at 3 or higher. No malfunctions to report, so far very impressed.

I'll add my first impressions during my first and second club level matches. I have the 24" model and everything is stock. I purchased it new and cleaned it very well prior to the first match. It has run without a hic-up while shooting a variety of shot shells and slugs. I have kept the dram equivalent at 3 or higher. No malfunctions to report, so far very impressed.

What slugs are you using?

In my 24" JM Pro I've shot seven different kinds of slugs:

Remington Slugger 7/8 oz.

Remington Slugger 1 oz.

Remington Managed Recoil Slugger 1 oz.

Federal Maximum Rifled Slug 1 oz.

Federal Vital Shok Truball 1 oz.

Federal Vital Shok Deep Penetrator Truball 1 oz.

Federal Vital Shok Low Recoil Truball 1 oz.

It happily ate all of them and I've had no failures in 125 rounds of the above. The Federal Vital Shok Low Recoil Truball were the most accurate with the Deep Penetrator a close second.

• 2 weeks later...

The Federal Vital Shok Low Recoil Truball worked really well in my 930 too. I mean all the slugs I have tried so far worked really well but the Truball gave the best group I found that the Winchester Super X gave me my second best group but were also the cheapest at $12 for 15 slugs vs the $6 for 5 of the Truball.

• 2 weeks later...

Just fired a bunch of slugs through my JM Pro. It shot anything. It was very accurate as well. The POI was a bit higher than POA at 20 yards but one I understood what sight picture I needed it was dead on. What a great shotgun. This thing I so fun to shoot.

I knoticed no difference in recoil even with low recoil rounds.

• 2 months later...

Check Benny hills posts for cleaning.

I now have my jm pro perfect. I've been shooting trap and sheet with it. I'm ordering a 28 inch barrel. For 850 total including another batrel it's a great shotgun.

For cleaning do pay attention to the gas rings and piston. Fully disassemble and clean. It gets very dirty after about 500 rounds. I also read something on another forum about centering the spring in the barrel to ease assembly. I used an 18 mm deep socket and passed it through the retained spring where the piston rides. It moved the spring into the center of the recess and does make getting the barrel on easier. I was getting som scratches on the mag tube.

Someone in here mentioned that the mag tube was cromed, it's not, the piston is.

I'm loving my JM Pro.