Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate carriers allowed in 3 gun?

I am currently shooting USPSA/IPSC pistol matches, and have my pistol belt set up the way I like it. CR Speed belt, nice holster, and several pistol mag pouches. I am trading my Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader for a Stoeger M2000 with 9 shot mag tube extension on it this weekend. And my AR is in the process of being built, should have then in a few weeks, but it being a Christmas gift from the Wife, I won't get that till Christmas. I really want to get into shooting 3 gun matches once I have all 3 guns.

I have been looking at different 3 gun set ups from belts to chest rigs to combinations of both, and I'm really not sure which I want to use. Don't want to go out and buy one set up, only to decide later that I don't like it, and then have to go out and buy another set up. I already have a MarCIRAS plate carrier, with tons of AR mag pouches & pistol mag pouches. I also have some MOLLE shot shell pouches I could put on it. I would have to move things around to make it easier to use, since I won't need so many mag pouches, and would want the shot shells easier to get to. I would also take out the soft armor and plates to make it lighter.

This probably would not be my permanent set up, as I'm sure rigs made specifically for 3 gun would be better in the long run. But it would give me the time to figure out what I do like, and then save up the cash to get things if I decide to go with something that costs more. And I also already have the vest and pouches, so as soon as I get the guns I could shoot the next local match that comes up.

Doing some research online, I can find references to chest rigs, and of course belts being allowed, but I can't find anything that says whether or not you are allowed to use a plate carrier in 3 gun.

I know there are some rules hounds on here, anyone know the answer?

Most of the folk using vests/chest rigs are LE and Military guys using the same stuff they use for work. That rig will certainly get you started, but most of your stuff probably won't be in the optimal places for shooting a 3gun match. Our targets dont shoot back, so we have more options on gear placement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with whatever you have. Dont get frustrated, and watch a lot when you're not shooting. Observe the other guys'/gals' rigs and how they work. Probably, you are going to find that the biggest shortcoming of your plate carrier will be means to carry shotgun shells. As mentioned, spare rifle mags are often not needed, so you mostly need to be able carry pistol and spare pistol mags and shotgun shells. Enjoy!

Edited by wgj3

Most of the folk using vests/chest rigs are LE and Military guys using the same stuff they use for work. That rig will certainly get you started, but most of your stuff probably won't be in the optimal places for shooting a 3gun match. Our targets dont shoot back, so we have more options on gear placement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with whatever you have. Dont get frustrated, and watch a lot when you're not shooting. Observe the other guys'/gals' rigs and how they work. Probably, you are going to find that the biggest shortcoming of your plate carrier will be means to carry shotgun shells. As mentioned, spare rifle mags are often not needed, so you mostly need to be able carry pistol and spare pistol mags and shotgun shells. Enjoy!

I am a Former Marine, and am used to using a tac vest. I do have shot shell holders for the vest, but will want to buy better ones eventually. I think the shot shell holders are the main item that I am not sure what I want to get in the long run. I have plenty of mag pouches for my pistol on my belt, and would use that with the vest. I know I need to work on reloads for the shotgun, I have snap caps coming so I can practice that, and experiment with different placements for the carriers. I also have a 9 round forearm shell carrier that I picked up for an action shotgun shoot previously.

With my shotgun being inertia driven (Stoeger M2000) I have been told that I can't add to much weight to the gun in the form of side saddles or stock saddles as it will mess up the timing, so I have to find a new way to hold the rounds. I have a 6 rnd side saddle and 5 rnd stock saddle on my Mossberg 500.

Couple of the guys I shoot local pistol matches with say they do have some extra gear, and that as I figure out what I may want, they can let me borrow some stuff to try out. They don't have enough that I could use it exclusively, but they have an extra shell caddy, etc. that I can use in conjunction with the vest and see what I like before I spend the cash on a full new setup.

Agree with all the above and would add try a few different shotgun loading techniques before you buy anything. Once you find a load method, weak/strong hand, caddy or load two... then you can get the right gear. The rifle and pistol stuff is easy.

Welcome to the fun and thank you for your service.

You already have a CR Speed belt, holster and some pistol mag holders so your halfway there. All you really need for 90% of the stages I've seen is 2 pistol mags, an extra AR mag (most seem to use a Bladetek holder in the small of the back) and some means to carry shotgun ammo. (4) 4rd caddies will get you through all but the really shotgun heavy stages. If you want to get your shotgun loading up to par quick I'll suggest looking at the load 2 technique. I run 4 of the TACCOM 4up's, they've worked great and cost the same as the lower end traditional caddies. Oh and a couple of the cheap snap up belt keepers give you a little insurance and peace of mind that everything stays together when loaded down.

Edited by Shooter115

I have been looking a lot at the load 2 and load 4 systems. I am leaning towards this one now:

http://www.carbonarms.us/TWinS-Shotgun-Loading-Systems/SSL-2-shell-assembly.html

I can cant them at high angles and mount several close to each other and have it in a load 2 configuration, or I can have them offset and canted less so each one is a double load 4 system. I can mount them on my vest or a Molle chest rig, or they have the belt mount versions.

To many choices to make a good decision right now. Really gotta try these out

Make sure of a couple of things with your CR Speed set up. #1--make sure whatever holster you are using secures the pistol. Unlike USPSA you will be running with the pistol loaded/cocked and in the holster. Has to be secure.

Also make sure you have one of those CR Speed wrap around velcro or Nordic plastic connectors for the ends of the outer belt. Do not depend on the velcro to keep the belt from coming apart when you move. Losing the belt or pistol ruins a good day. A couple of simple things that are different from USPSA.

gerritm

Make sure of a couple of things with your CR Speed set up. #1--make sure whatever holster you are using secures the pistol. Unlike USPSA you will be running with the pistol loaded/cocked and in the holster. Has to be secure.

Also make sure you have one of those CR Speed wrap around velcro or Nordic plastic connectors for the ends of the outer belt. Do not depend on the velcro to keep the belt from coming apart when you move. Losing the belt or pistol ruins a good day. A couple of simple things that are different from USPSA.

gerritm

I do have the wrap around velcro closure for the end of the belt. I also use several Safariland velcro belt keepers to hold everything in place.

Did not think about a retention holster for the pistol. I currently use an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster. What kind of holsters are most guys using for 3 gun? Something like this?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-BH410503BK-R

I used to run an Uncle Mikes, changed the screws to thumb screws to crank down tension if the COF required it, can losen for pistol starts. Many are going to Safariland ACS holsters, but Bladetechs and kydex still seem to rule.

I have that Blackhawk Serpa holster for my Sig 45 single stack that I sometimes use in USPSA. It works fine, but is a little slow to find the release. I put some grip tape on the release and it is alot easier to find and release.

I have a Bladetech DOH for my main 3G pistol and use the thumb screws to keep it secure. The nice thing about them is you can crank them down when you are moving and loosen them up when you draw at the start of the stage. Either way they both work. For a few bucks you can change the set screws on your holster to the thumb type.

gerritm

I add the rifle mag pouch to my USPSA belt setup, then run a chest rig just for the shotshell carriers, I'm fat and having them on the front of the belt is umpleasant (I can also run up to 8 six-round carriers if necessary without interfering with my belt gear).