Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Small Rifle Primers in 9mm minor?

ranger

Some do, I think the general rule is 10% lower on your load when using rifle primers, however, if you have a good deal of them, you should work up a load with them. Start about 10-15% lower than your current load and work up.

I use small rifle primers in everything I load except my revolvers. None of my guns show any breach face erosion. The only reason I don't use them in the revolvers is because the actions are to light to set off anything but deep seated Federal primers.

Basically, you just have to be sure they are seated properly, if they will fire on the second strike it just means they were not seated deeply enough in the first place. If the primer is bad it won't fire regardless of how many times it is struck. They have harder primer cups than some others and some guns have a lighter FP strike than others.

Best way is to see how they work in your gun, prime some empty cases and try it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had sterling results with Wolf primers. 3 or 4 of the last 1K failed to fire even after a double strike. Luckily it was just practice ammo. If I were you, I would not trust them in my competition ammo.

What he said. I've been seeing a 15-20% failure rate on the Wolf SR. I've pulled that lot of ammo and use it strictly for practice.

Rifle primers are made of sterner stuff than pistol primers. Rifle powders are denser and in a longer column and require more flame to light up. Also, obviously, rifles generate much higher pressures and to contain that the primers are stiffer. Plus, rifle striker pins generally hit harder than pistol strikers do. If, for instance, you used pistol primers in a rifle you might get a striker penetration which would allow hot gases to escape into the breech. In pistols the opposite is true... you need a very firm striker hit to light up the rifle primer. Conversly, if you have somewhat loose primer pockets in a pistol case and you use a rifle primer with standard loadings, it may not expand into the pocket upon firing and you could get some blowback gases into the breechface of your pistol. Generally, small rifle primers are used in pistol applicaions where 1) there is enough pressure to insure a seal, like in 9mm major loads or higher pressure 38 Super and hot .40 loadings and... 2) You have sufficient striker mass and velocity to set off the harder rifle primer.

Using rifle primers in standard pistol loadings can be done if you adjust your load to allow for the hotter flame (Slower powders would be good too!), your primer pockets are tight to begin with, and you have a good striker hit. Otherwise you can have problems.