Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking brass

Detlef

Ever thought about how many times you handle each piece of brass indivdually?!?!

Lets start on the ground.

1) pick it up

2)sort

3)put it in the press (yeah, I use a 550)

4)put in in a holder to check for high primers and count

5)chamber check

6)put it in a case to go to the range

7)put in in a mag

BACK ON THE GROUND AGAIN!!!!

(Edited by Singlestack at 5:03 pm on Dec. 14, 2001)

Quote: from 2alpha on 2:09 am on Dec. 15, 2001

I hate people who don't pick up their brass worse. They leave their junk stuff on the range and you get to sort it out.

JJ

I heard that! I never used to look ay .45 headstamps when sorting until I got a bunch of Amerc brass one day.

I HATE AMERC BRASS

Who or what brand makes Amerc brass?

SS,

AMERC is also known as American Ammunition.  The rumor that I heard (from a reputable source) is that AMERC makes or used to make headstamp-less ammuniton for the Military and CIA to use on covert ops.  At least in the past, the headstamp was "A-MERC" instead of "AMERC."  I'll leave it up to your own devices as to what "A-MERC" stands for.  :)

Eric

I have not loaded .45 in a while, but I can't remember AMERC brass causing trouble.

I went through a bunch of cases and found 3 headstamped A-MERC.  Two I would bet came from Star-line, the third did not match.  All looked fine for reloading.

What was the problem with the brass you had?

Man, this is good hate!   Now, what I really, really, hate is pickin' brass outta the friggin SNOW!   It hits, melts it's way through, and leaves an almost untraceable hole.  All last winter I stayed huddled close to a black tarp so I wouldn't lose any.  When the big melt came in April, there was still close to 500 rounds in the mud.  Yuck!   This year I want to invent a brass catcher that hangs between a couple of barricades and pools it up at the bottom.    (Of course, the upside of no tarp is you can invite all your friends over to lose their brass :)

Kyle, the next time you're out here in the middle of nowhere I'd sure be pleased if you would drop by.   Shoot all the Blazer you want.  Hell,  I wouldn't mind if you left a couple thousand rounds of that steel cased Russan 9mm.  

SS, I was born south of the Mason-Dixon and lived there 22 years.  Folks around here say I still have the some of the accent.   I came to Wyoming in '81 to hole up for a while and let my trail go cold. Eventually, I met a pretty young lass and ended up a married man.  I still love the South though.  Magnolia blossoms, cotton, good manners, lotta precious memories there.

Kyle, if you're thinking road kill....Hmmmm.... I haven't had a good roast possum in about 20 years.   Served on it's back on a bed of cornbread dressing with a little crab apple in it's mouth.   We're scheming up a possible Wyoming St. championship this summer......ever been to Yellowstone?  Uh, they don't let us shoot our guns in there.  I guess it makes the Turons nervous.  But everywhere else it's pretty much OK.

DB,  I grew up about 90 miles north of Memphis in the Missouri bootheel.   It was 3 miles to Arkansas, 18 miles to Tennessee and about six inches to ground water.  I think you said you were from Mississippi, right?  Natchez maybe?   I once rode the entire Natchez Trace Parkway (Natchez to Nashville) on a bicycle.  And one of my Great-Great Uncles was a Captain in the Confederate Army. He fought in The War of Northern Aggression.  I do love the South, but it just wasn't big enough to keep me from getting on other people nerves.  :)

Wyoming State Championship eh?  Sounds like a blast.  I would also love to make it up that way someday to take a look see.  Flown over on the way to Alaska, but that's about as close as I got.   30,000 feet or so anyway.

You are indeed correct on Mississippi.  Born and raised in Natchez, just across the river from Louisiana, as you remembered.  I live in Jackson now, the capital and the closest thing to a "city" we have around here.   That's pretty impressive on the Trace ride.  Although I enjoy it at times, I often have trouble driving the trace let alone riding it.  As my grandma used to say, "You can take a person out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the person."

Quote: from bonedaddy on 12:24 am on Dec. 20, 2001

Kyle, if you're thinking road kill....Hmmmm.... I haven't had a good roast possum in about 20 years.   Served on it's back on a bed of cornbread dressing with a little crab apple in it's mouth.

Sam, Kyle, John,

Do you know the difference between zoos in the North and zoos in the South?  Zoos in the South add recipes to the signs describing the animals you're looking at.......

Nik, that's funny!!!!  (I'm going to tell that one at work tomorrow)  

You know I just realized Wyoming doesn't have a single zoo!  But we do have Tee shirts that say:   Grizzlys-9   Tourists-0    

If you are unarmed and encounter a bear there is a very good way to tell a blackie form a grizzly.  A grizz don't like to climb.  So, climb a tree.   If the bear climbs the tree and eats you it was a blackie.   If it shakes the tree until you fall out and eats you, it was a grizz.        

The Forest Service warns backpackers to carry pepper spray for defense and to wear little jingley bells on their packs to alert the bear that a human is present so they will flee.  

Another good way to tell a grizz from a blackie is by their scat.  (that's poop, for you non-hunters)  A black bear's scat pile is about the size of a humans. It usually contains hair from carrion and sometimes grass and berries.  A grizzly bear scat pile is about the size of what a horse leaves behind.   It often smells like pepper and has little jingley bells in it.

Y'all Come!  

DB, your grand mother was absolutely right.  GM's are one of God's greatest gifts.

Getting back to the original posts on this thread, (I did however, enjoy the humor) As a shooter who doesn't have a lot of money, I do appreciate getting my brass back and I know many other folks do as well. My IPSC guns were all purchased 2nd hand as I could not afford new ones and the expense of purchasing new brass while leaving once fired brass on the ground makes cringe. While my .40 brass is cheap to come by (free once fired) my new/used .38 Super could cost me more to shoot it than I am willing to bear. I know more than a few shooters who would rather let their brass lay than help pick up brass for other folks. Their logic being that if they don't expect you to pick their brass, then you shouldn't mind not getting your's either.

I hate picking up brass, but i really hate when......those of you who enyoy food (in large quantities and at frequent intervals) walk on and crush my pretty 45 cases.  Ugg.....big man steps on brass is soon to find brass up a$$

Quote: from davecutts on 10:39 pm on Jan. 1, 2002

I hate picking up brass, but i really hate when......those of you who enyoy food (in large quantities and at frequent intervals) walk on and crush my pretty 45 cases.  Ugg.....big man steps on brass is soon to find brass up a$$

I resemble that remark!