Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rulebook Re-write?

38SuperDub

Also one more point:

Why does one have to take an RO class for a rule to be crystal clear? If you are going to say a race holster is prohibited, wouldn't it be fair to all the new shooters and those not yet ROs to actually define or describe what indeed constitutes a race holster?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The things we debate about on this forum are often on the fringe. On the range, there really are very few issues for which the rules don't give us a clear answer. I've noticed most of the ROs on here know the answers to even the tough questions about the rules. It's the ambiguous ones on which we disagree.

Also one more point:

Why does one have to take an RO class for a rule to be crystal clear? If you are going to say a race holster is prohibited, wouldn't it be fair to all the new shooters and those not yet ROs to actually define or describe what indeed constitutes a race holster?

Most people don't need an RO class for the rules to be perfectly clear. But most of the stuff you get all worked up about is covered in the book already and could be pretty easily explained. Both from a what does the rule mean and a why is it there point of view. You have this tendency to view the rule book as wrong when it doesn't support your view of what the rule should be. Just because you do t agree with what the rule says, doesn't mean it isn't clear.

As far as race holsters in our sport. The rule was written to cover available technology at the time. And did so quite clearly. After a decade, people started usin hybrid race/production holsters. By that, a race hanger with a regular holster attached. I doubt anyone anticipated that's where the market would go. If you did ten years ago I'm sure you'll make a bundle on your new holster trend.

There will be a constant string of new equipment coming into the sport. Some anticipated and some not. There are smarter guys than me coming up with stuff to make us go faster. The rule book is not intended to be fluid enough to keep up with those changes. That's what NROI rulings are for, if needed.

I would like to see the holster in question.

Most/all "race type holster" during the draw, the gun needs to be pulled up from the holster only about a 1/4" to clear the front of the trigger gaurd (where the gun is securely held in place) before extending the gun forward. "production type holster" The gun must be pulled up the legnth of the area in front of the ejection area and must clear the holster before that gun can be extended forward towards the target. I am not an RO, but that is my vague interpretation of that particular rule.

Personally, I have ran both type holsters and i didn't see a "significant" adavantage from a race holster compared to a production type holster in my draw speeds, but that is just me.

Most/all "race type holster" during the draw, the gun needs to be pulled up from the holster only about a 1/4" to clear the front of the trigger gaurd (where the gun is securely held in place) before extending the gun forward. "production type holster" The gun must be pulled up the legnth of the area in front of the ejection area and must clear the holster before that gun can be extended forward towards the target. I am not an RO, but that is my vague interpretation of that particular rule.

Personally, I have ran both type holsters and i didn't see a "significant" adavantage from a race holster compared to a production type holster in my draw speeds, but that is just me.

There is an NROI interpretation on the website that covers it. Basically what we're looking at is a standard production holster attached to a race gun holster belt hanger. It allows for more adjustment than a BladeTech DOH but doesn't really change anything. They are perfectly legal.

There is an NROI interpretation on the website that covers it. Basically what we're looking at is a standard production holster attached to a race gun holster belt hanger. It allows for more adjustment than a BladeTech DOH but doesn't really change anything. They are perfectly legal.

To me, thats sounds like a great idea! Being able to adjust the gun for your particular body type, can only be good thing and a safe way for a holster to be mounted. I think i am going to start selling some race type belt hangers, lol

I can't get my CRO card because we have to now have a class full of RO that want to take the CRO class.

[Thread drift mode on]

Can't this still be taken through correspondence courses?

And this thread made me check my USPSA profile, and see my CRO expired at the end of them month.. It's nice having that on-line, 5 minutes, passed 100%

They have not offered the CRO correspondence course for a while now. I gave up looking at the website for more info. I guess they don't want more people being CRO's. The one in person class we tried to get in this area back in May couldn't draw enough people, so looks like I won't become an CRO any time soon either.

There is an article in this month's Front Sight where they confirm that the CRO course is no longer offered by correspondence.