Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic reccs for heavy limited?

Solscud007

I got a Scar 17 so I can compete in Heavy Limited. Got any recommendations for optics that will help me with the 308? Of course the simplest answer is shoot the gun and know my dope. but in reality I dont have the time or money to shoot it that often. I am lucky if I can shoot it once a month. I was thinking of re-purposing my Eotech 512 and see how it shoots at 100, 200 and 300 yds. I dont have the ability to shoot 400 or beyond. 300 yds is rare as well. My shooting club is going to Westpoint Academy's Range 5 and it goes out to 300 yds. I plan to sight in my irons and get familiar with the weapon. I will bring my eotech as well.

Are there any 1x optics that have a reticle for 308?

I just saw this. Anyone try it? Does it work well?

http://swfa.com/EOTech-552-Military-Holosight-P7874.aspx

Edited by Solscud007

I'm a dedicated Eotech fan, but the .308 reticle is no good for 3-gun. It's calibrated for the M240 and the range dots are 600, 800, and 1200M. A 1X BDC for 3-gun distances just isn't really workable, the dots would be too close together.

I got a Scar 17 so I can compete in Heavy Limited. Got any recommendations for optics that will help me with the 308? Of course the simplest answer is shoot the gun and know my dope. but in reality I dont have the time or money to shoot it that often. I am lucky if I can shoot it once a month. I was thinking of re-purposing my Eotech 512 and see how it shoots at 100, 200 and 300 yds. I dont have the ability to shoot 400 or beyond. 300 yds is rare as well. My shooting club is going to Westpoint Academy's Range 5 and it goes out to 300 yds. I plan to sight in my irons and get familiar with the weapon. I will bring my eotech as well.

Are there any 1x optics that have a reticle for 308?

I just saw this. Anyone try it? Does it work well?

http://swfa.com/EOTech-552-Military-Holosight-P7874.aspx

You could use any 5.56 optic just do the match and change your initial zero to make the drop marks line up where you want. Simple.

Pat

What Stlhead said!!!!! It depends on the match you want to shoot. I think FNH calls it Heavy IRONS, I know that Rocky Mountain and the He Man Nationals is either Irons or Optic. 1X doesn't go into the Irons division. Other's I'm not sure, but, would check the rules before I showed up and got a surprise.

HM (HeMan aka Heavy Metal) has the widest variety of rule sets in the game. Most matches run under the Heavy Metal name as HeMan implies a specific rule set.

HeMan: 308 rifle with irons only, Pump 12ga, 45acp pistol with 10rd mags max

Heman Scope: 308 rifle with any scope, Pump 12ga, 45acp pistol with 10rd mags max

USPSA Heavy Limited: 308 rifle with irons or 1x glass only, major PF=320, Pump 12ga, 45acp pistol with 10rd mags, major PF=165

USPSA Heavy Tac: 308 rifle with any scope, major PF=320, auto 12ga, L10 major PF=165 only

Those are the two most common rule sets. Many matches employ some variations or compromise between these two rule sets.

Assuming the OP was refering to a division allowing magnified optics, the trajectory for a 223 and a 308 are so close that there are many with BDCs which are interchangable. My Meopta ZD works well for both. I was fortunate to find loads which were of common velocities, excellent accuracy and matched my BDC with both calibers. On the Burris site, they list the subtensions and load match up for common ammo in both 223 and 308 for thier XTR-14 scope.

Assuming the OP was truly refering to Heavy Limited, if the match is using USPSA rules, any 1x glass is acceptable. I have a Prismatic DCD currently mounted on my 308 for use in the USPSA Area 2 match next April near Denver. Aimpoints, Eotechs, Prismatics are all legal. However, this is one of the variable points in the employed rule sets. Some matches with Heavy Limited division, allow 1x glass, while others are irons only.

I don't wish to induce scope creep, but personally I wish the industry would standardize on one set of rules. With the HM irons divisions constantly hanging by a thread it would be nice to be able to go to a match with one set of equipment and be able to shoot either division. I have my scope zeroed for my 308. It would be easy to show up and pop it off to shoot the irons division, or leave it on and shoot the scoped division. With various subsets of rules, that can be very difficult. If I show up for Area 2 ready to shoot Limited division with my prismatic mounted and a pump shotgun only to see the division get cancelled, I might be at a disadvantage in terms of equipment (although not as much as some might think). So for Area 2 I will most likely bring my Pris and my scope, as well as my pump and my auto, as well as my single stack and my STI.

• 2 weeks later...

http://tarheel3gun.com/match-rules/

Scroll down to their Tactical Class-Nonmagnified Optics (TN)

5.Tactical Class-Nonmagnified Optics (TN)

1.Competitor will shoot the same handgun, shotgun, and rifle as TO but with an optic that is not magnified (1X) (eotech or aimpoint for example) and does not have a ballistic drop compensation reticle. Iron sights may be cowitnessed

Granted this isn't for Heavy Metal but its just another reason to not to assume a general ruleset but just read the specific match's rules your attending. That way you are sure your equipment/setup is good to go for the match.