Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Waiting at the Dr's office...

al503

I drove my girlfriend to her colonoscopy appointment. The waiting room was packed and they had a scrolling LED sign listing the various doctors and how far behind (pun intended :roflol: ) they were. Two of the four doctors listed were running two hours late!!! I loudly stated "Looks like Dr._____ and Dr._____ are getting in a few holes before getting in a few holes!!!" I then found a snack room in the back that had several boxes of doughnuts on the table and proceeded to eat a couple in the waiting room full of people who hadn't eaten in 24 hours. Gotta make the most out of any situation :devil:

I don't play golf, I shoot. but I don't do it on patient time.

I had a whole lot more to say, but it was mostly venting and also a rebuttal and that won't fly. Suffice it to say that I hate it too, maybe not as much as my patients, who are, fortunately for me, very understanding and patient, but I hate it nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

It's tough for sure.... You can't schedule medicine as regularly as you can schedule some other things. I mean, maybe you had to spend an extra 5 minutes explaining to someone how a disease is going to affect them for the rest of their lives. That's certainly not a conversation I'll ever rush. On the other hand, it's important to have staff and procedures for letting patients know what's going on during a wait if it comes up.

But the truth is, we do see a lot of patients that come in late, don't show up at all, answer their phones mid exam (clearly their time is more important than mine) and other problems. Those of you that are on time or early, thanks! Tell your friends and we'll all be able to run pretty much on time. :cheers:

Being an hour and a half late from lunch unless you were taking care of a medical or family emergency of your own is B.S. though

Dr. Steviesterno

Nicely stated.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to add something. My wife works for a surgeon as a first assistant and she hates when her office is behind. BUT sometimes they get caught in surgery late, or there is an emergency (remember it could be you or your family) and we all have had to wait. trust me if your self important time is worth $500 an hour his is worth far more. AND he may be saving a life. I wont defend GPs and dentists etc but consider that your MD actually has extenuating circumstances occasionaly. BUT I have met some that were genuinly asshats.

Edited by Kent Grewe