Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Waiting at the Dr's office...

al503

We had an appointment for 2:00. Now it's an hour past and another patient just went back to see the Dr.

We waited even longer last week.

We'll be doing this for the next few months minimum...

I'm afraid to go in with the wife as I'm not sure I'll be able to be cordial and not give the Dr a piece of my mind.

The worst is when you finally make it into the room & have to wait (forever) again.

I had a routine annual several years ago. Got in and the Dr said she would be right back. After 45 minutes I walked out.

I hate this as well

Let me preface this by saying I don't work a lot, but when I do, I get paid nicely. Well one day I was waiting for a long time, and finally walked up to the nurses desk and told her IF did not see the immediately, I was going to start billing him for my time that I had to wait, at $500/hour

I saw him within 5 minutes.

Coulda been a coincidence tho :)

But, YES, I HATE going to the Dr. just for this reason.

Sorry but I've got to present another side. Every day patients are late to an appointment. People know we are required now to have all paperwork and insurance info filled out before the exam. They bring children and others to the office that need time to settle in. They have phone calls and business to conduct that slows up the exam. Then there are the true emergencies that need immediate care that can't be planned for. If you find that you are being kept for an unreasonable time, rescheduling may be the best answer. If you are going to be late, and know, please call and inform the office. If we don't know you'll be late we hold your time in case you show. In my office all patients are told if there is to be any delay in their apt time. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor, and feel you might not be able to be cordial, then you need to find another office that is better able to fit your time constraints. We also don't make $500 per hour and I would like to think we offer something of value(like a gunsmith). When a patient makes an appointment and doesn't show we are not allowed to charge. Please try and see both sides. It's very important that you trust your doctor. Talk with them if you have an issue. Most of us appreciate the trust that shows. Didn't mean to steal this rant.

Youngeyes

From my point of view it's a bit different. Because I have a lot of time, I only schedule my appointments first thing in the morning. So a build up/back log does not work in my case

Just to reiterate, I hate going to the Dr.

Sorry but I've got to present another side. Every day patients are late to an appointment. People know we are required now to have all paperwork and insurance info filled out before the exam. They bring children and others to the office that need time to settle in. They have phone calls and business to conduct that slows up the exam. Then there are the true emergencies that need immediate care that can't be planned for. If you find that you are being kept for an unreasonable time, rescheduling may be the best answer. If you are going to be late, and know, please call and inform the office. If we don't know you'll be late we hold your time in case you show. In my office all patients are told if there is to be any delay in their apt time. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor, and feel you might not be able to be cordial, then you need to find another office that is better able to fit your time constraints. We also don't make $500 per hour and I would like to think we offer something of value(like a gunsmith). When a patient makes an appointment and doesn't show we are not allowed to charge. Please try and see both sides. It's very important that you trust your doctor. Talk with them if you have an issue. Most of us appreciate the trust that shows. Didn't mean to steal this rant.

So, Doctor Youngeyes... .... deliberate overbooking to maximize your profits does not play a part in the long waits....? devil.gif

I'll bite. My wife made an appointment for a doctor visit, first appointment time of the day. We showed up with paperwork filled out, early, and still waited for nearly an hour and a half for the doctor to even get to the office. Reason, he was at lunch, straight from the office managers mouth. We were pissed and let him know, his office manager know and in return were blown off. I had no problem letting then know we would be finding another doctor since that was the way we were treated. For my wifes medical issue we had been using him for about 10-12 months and had never been seen on time once. That was the last straw, and not the first time we had said anything to him or the staff. I'm on time, I can understand 10-15 minutes, but an hour and a half? Really?

Sent from my rotary dial phone

My father in law is a doctor. Waiting is not a common practice with him. Get someone who can schedule and have the decentcy to inform patients when the inconsiderate doctors are late and don't apologize or care. If the person is at the front desk and scheduling incorrectly it still is the doctors fault. Patients will leave the practice and the office will just blame the patient instead of rectifying the problem.

So, Doctor Youngeyes... .... deliberate overbooking to maximize your profits does not play a part in the long waits....? devil.gif

+1. I know this to be true. One can blame the insurance companies to hide behind this practice. I think it's bull

Much of your post deals with the patient being late. That's not me. (If it was, I wouldn't have said anything.) If I take time out of my day to be on time, then I don't find it unreasonable to expect the same. Regardless:

If you find that you are being kept for an unreasonable time, rescheduling may be the best answer.

So the Dr isn't keeping their appointment and I should reschedule? Please refer to what you wrote below about looking at both sides.

If you are going to be late, and know, please call and inform the office. If we don't know you'll be late we hold your time in case you show. In my office all patients are told if there is to be any delay in their apt time.

To reiterate, I wasn't late. I wish all offices would call me if they know they're going to be late. If they would, there would be no complaints from me. I realize stuff happens. Just let me know.

When a patient makes an appointment and doesn't show we are not allowed to charge. Please try and see both sides.

Again, I wasn't late and I would invite you to look at both sides also. I took time out of my schedule, skipped lunch, had to pee but skipped the bathroom to be on time.

It's very important that you trust your doctor. Talk with them if you have an issue. Most of us appreciate the trust that shows. Didn't mean to steal this rant.

I actually did speak with the Dr specifically about this. We both expressed our position and left it at that.

I forgot about the profits from deliberate overbooking. My bad. :blush:

I'll bite. My wife made an appointment for a doctor visit, first appointment time of the day. We showed up with paperwork filled out, early, and still waited for nearly an hour and a half for the doctor to even get to the office. Reason, he was at lunch, straight from the office managers mouth. We were pissed and let him know, his office manager know and in return were blown off. I had no problem letting then know we would be finding another doctor since that was the way we were treated. For my wifes medical issue we had been using him for about 10-12 months and had never been seen on time once. That was the last straw, and not the first time we had said anything to him or the staff. I'm on time, I can understand 10-15 minutes, but an hour and a half? Really?

You're correct. Time to find a new doctor. You don't need to wait a year next time. Let the doctor know sooner. Hope your wife is OK.

I am NEVER late, I am a product of my environment.

It is a 2 shot penalty and then a DQ for a professional golfer late to the tee and then 5 minutes late respectively. That was in a former life.

Now I do television, I don't think the viewers would like it if they tuned to the channel for a golf broadcast and were told to hang on, the commentator/s are running late.

I was taught as a kid, being on time is being 15 minutes early

Edited by zhunter

I forgot about the profits from deliberate overbooking. My bad. :blush:

You're correct. Time to find a new doctor. You don't need to wait a year next time. Let the doctor know sooner. Hope your wife is OK.

Sorry to put the burden of defense of an entire profession on your shoulders, Dr Youngeyes....biggrin.gif

The appointment was scheduled from 2-3PM. We got out of there at 5 just in time for rush hour...

Two phlebotomists couldn't draw enough blood so my wife has to go back on Monday at 8AM to try again and hopefully get results back by the next appointment on Tuesday.

Thank you for asking, she's fine. We saw this doctor for maybe 10 visits over the course if the year. Scheduled on my days off and usually had early appointments to keep the waiting to a minimum. I get that emergencies crop up and things happen. We had brought this up before but that last visit with him ended any relationship we had. I'm early or on time for everything, been late exactly 1 time to work in the last 10 years that I can remember. I don't do late and when I was still active duty the people who worked for me knew it. Very rarely had issues with those that worked for me.

You guys are right. I wouldn't force another 47 million people to put up with such terrible healthcare. :sight:

A Dr. with a sense of humor, who'd have thought.....

:D

:D

I left the Doctors office after waiting ovet an hour and a half .Never went back to that doctor .And i let my Doctors know i don't have time to wait.

Don't hold back let him know what you think your time is valueble to.

I hate this too......

I give my primary care physician a break though, since I know from first hand experience that if one of his patients tells him they need to be seen that day, he'll fit them in.....

He's also not one to rush his patients -- so when you get him in the room, he takes the time you need. Somehow he still generally manages to be in the room within 15-30 minutes of the appointment time, and I've rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes past the appointed time to be pulled out of the waiting room.....

He'd be worth waiting an hour for though, every time.....

It's tough for sure.... You can't schedule medicine as regularly as you can schedule some other things. I mean, maybe you had to spend an extra 5 minutes explaining to someone how a disease is going to affect them for the rest of their lives. That's certainly not a conversation I'll ever rush. On the other hand, it's important to have staff and procedures for letting patients know what's going on during a wait if it comes up.

But the truth is, we do see a lot of patients that come in late, don't show up at all, answer their phones mid exam (clearly their time is more important than mine) and other problems. Those of you that are on time or early, thanks! Tell your friends and we'll all be able to run pretty much on time. :cheers:

Being an hour and a half late from lunch unless you were taking care of a medical or family emergency of your own is B.S. though

Dr. Steviesterno