Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" sight tracker vs 6" non sight tracker

HotLoad

OK try to keep my story short. Just got my 1st limited gun and am thinking about putting in an order for a backup gun. The gun I have now is a 5" sight tracker. I was thinking of going 6" for my backup gun either sight tracker or non. Who knows I might like the 6" more. Would love to hear from some people that have shot both 6" fat free style S_I guns vs cut up 6" sight trackers. Thanks in advance - Jeff

I don't know about sight trackers, but my 5" tri topped slide cracked and a friend sold me a 6" tri topped gun that had been lightened and was a couple of ounced lighter that my 5". The difference to me was amazing. I much r preferred the 6" and my transitions were faster and my shooting more accurate. the whole gun just "felt" better. check with some of the people at you range and see if you can try a 6", you may like it.

Do you run the same bullet set up with a 6" gun as you would in a 5" gun?..? That would make my decision easer !!!!

From what I understand the 6" guns like a little lighter bullet but I see no reason why you can't run the same load. You will get a little more velocity out of the longer barrel.

Jeff

Do you run the same bullet set up with a 6" gun as you would in a 5" gun?..? That would make my decision easer !!!!

From what I understand the 6" guns like a little lighter bullet but I see no reason why you can't run the same load. You will get a little more velocity out of the longer barrel.

Jeff

I run 180gr in my 5" and 6". I tried the 165gr in the 6" and didn't really notice a difference. $.02

Sight tracker on a 6" gun is a lot of weight. Talked to Brandon a while back and he recommended bushing barrel for a 6" gun. But of course, depends on what you like. I just ordered a 5.4" limited gun with bushing barrel.

Sight tracker on a 6" gun is a lot of weight. Talked to Brandon a while back and he recommended bushing barrel for a 6" gun. But of course, depends on what you like. I just ordered a 5.4" limited gun with bushing barrel.

Yah I talked with my gunsmith recently about that and he also recommended that I don't do a 6" sight tracker cause of the balance being to heavy in the front end. I did put a deposit on a top secret 2013 legal limited build.

Jeff

I have not shot a 6" Sight Tracker, but my primary limited gun is a 6" SV, internally lightened slide and bushing barrel. It shoot very soft/flat. However, I love the front sight movement on sight trackers and I'm having a 5.4, short dustcover, Sight Tracker built as we speak. Brandon tested one quite a bit before it shipped and he said the front sight never the the notch.

I could care less for sight trackers.

What I do want to see is someone create a gun that has iron sights that are mounted just like an optic, so that the sights don't cycle with the slide at all.

If I knew how to machine things I would do this in a heart beat. A light weight aluminum mount that ran the length of the slide, with a bomar on the rear and a front sight attached somehow up front.

What I do want to see is someone create a gun that has iron sights that are mounted just like an optic, so that the sights don't cycle with the slide at all.

If I knew how to machine things I would do this in a heart beat. A light weight aluminum mount that ran the length of the slide, with a bomar on the rear and a front sight attached somehow up front.

I like that idea and it will be legal in 2013. Firing up the mill...

Keep my posted, I'd like to try it out

I get first dibs on the spy shots! :roflol:

• 1 year later...

Did anything ever come of this, that sounds like a REALLY COOL idea!

Never really got off the ground. It would be similar to the Volquartzen design for their .22's and would add a lot of weight. I thought I could elongate a C-more type mount and put front and rear sights on it, BAD idea, just made a load of scrap. Back to the drawing board.

Never really got off the ground. It would be similar to the Volquartzen design for their .22's and would add a lot of weight. I thought I could elongate a C-more type mount and put front and rear sights on it, BAD idea, just made a load of scrap. Back to the drawing board.

Why not a suppressor-height sight tracker front and a frame-mounted rear?

Why not a suppressor-height sight tracker front and a frame-mounted rear?

Hhhmmmnnn...maybe.

I had the same though exactly.

Update: Or what if you mounted the rear sight to an arm attached to the rear portion of the rib of the sight tracker barrel. The slide would just have to have enough clearance for the rear sight to pivot down slightly when the barrel unlocks... That would be the ultimate in mechanical accuracy!

Edited by EngineerEli