Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of getting m&p 9mm

e-mishka

Im interested in purchasing m&p 9mm model mainly for HD and IDPA. My plan is to keep it close to factory as possible.

Trigger pull is tolerable but reset is not. Will probably have someone do a carry/duty trigger job or drop in apex kit.

My biggest concern is accuracy.

From reading about issues with earlier models, how is the accuracy in newer models with "upgraded" barrel.

Im ok with 4" groups @25 but not ok with 8"+

My m&p pro 9 is about a year old so it is a "newer" model and it will easily shoot a 4" group at 25 yards. I have the competition apex kit in my gun along with the RAM and its much better than stock components. The RAM does wonders for the trigger reset.

I've since switched over to Limited shooting a 2011. That being said the M&P Pro Series continues to be one of my all time favorites. I had an issue with accuracy but sent it back to S&W and they fixed it. I know a lot of shooters that have them with no issues, but know if it doesn't work for you they will fix it. The Apex trigger is great upgrade. The Glock 34 with a Vanek or the M&P with the Apex are the bee's knees for production.

:cheers:

Edited by OperationHitFactor

I will recommend the 4.25" M&P all day long... especially if you're looking for a versatile gun suitable for carry / HD.

I transitioned from Glock to S&W in Production this year and haven't looked back. Chose the "standard" length over the Pro and have had no issues in USPSA Production.

Just keep an open mind and learn the stock trigger... that "nonexistent" reset people complain about was a non-issue for me once I started running the gun. An Apex kit will make a more-than-acceptable trigger into something exceptional. Having shot both kits, they both rock.

The 5" 9mm Pros are the ones with the accuracy issues. If you get a 4.25, it will be fine in the accuracy department, and probably a better choice for HD and IDPA anyway.

i think i've heard same issues with 4.25"

do you guys know the model number without thumb and magazine safety features? got it from s&w website :)

Which finish holds better stainless of black ?

they have a kit with bladetech holster, dbl mag pouch and 3 mags, is it worth to get it?

Edited by e-mishka

The 5" 9mm Pros are the ones with the accuracy issues. If you get a 4.25, it will be fine in the accuracy department, and probably a better choice for HD and IDPA anyway.

If you chase those reports, you won't find them to be substantial.

If you chase those reports, you won't find them to be substantial.

Hmmmm, of all three fullsize (4.25" barrel) M&Ps that I used to own, not one would shoot under 6" at 25 yards for 5 rounds. I'd call that substantial.

Hmmmm, of all three fullsize (4.25" barrel) M&Ps that I used to own, not one would shoot under 6" at 25 yards for 5 rounds. I'd call that substantial.

Did you have anyone else give them a spin? One shooters experience with regards to accuracy claims on the internets is highly unsubstantial.

As for the trigger, I'm actually a big fan of the factory Pro trigger. The pull weight is excellent, the break is crisp with appropriate overtravel, I highly prefer the smooth trigger over the safety lever inserts on Glocks/XDs, and the reset is very short.

I don't sympathize with complaints about the reset not being "audible", I don't expect to play whack a mole with the trigger. I don't prefer the higher return spring strength of the Glock trigger, and the extra time and pull associated with it.

Did you have anyone else give them a spin?

Yes. Others did give them a spin.

With over 10,000 rounds thru my primary M&P I never was sure if it was me or the gun. Had several friends who shoot better than me try them with the exact same results. Those pistols would not hold minute of sheet of paper at 25 yards. I shot a friends Glock and held under 2" at 25 yards. Immediately realizing that it was not me, but it was indeed the pistols. Bought that Glock and even more after that. They all shoot 2" or better at 25 yards. I love the ergo's of the M&P. I know some M&Ps shoot accurately, but enough don't, that I won't buy another without being able to shoot it first.

I've known three other shooters that have dropped M&Ps because of the lack of accuracy.

Substantial enough for me!

Edited by beastfrog