Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guidance on 1911 recoil spring selection

Yachtmaster

My Kimber 1911 stock spring is 16 lbs. I have replaced via maintenance with Wolff 16 lbs spring. Run 230 gr rainiers at PF of mid to low 170s.

Would like to try softer, 14 lbs Wolff and firmer with a variable 17.5 lbs Wolff just to experiment.

Does anyone think the 14 lbs spring could result in any damage or excessive wear running major power factor loads?

Thanks in advance.

Lower power recoil springs will reduce the muzzle dip as the slide goes back into battery - good thing. However, reliable feeding / chambering might be compromised - bad thing.

Unless something is out of spec, a 14 lb recoil spring should not cause any damage. You my sense a faster slide motion and it may feel a bit sharper so you need to see if the net change is worth it to you or not.

Going heavy will give you more muzzle dip but the recoil may feel a bit softer and the slide may seem a bit slower as the recoil impluse is spread out over a longer time frame. Going too heavy can impact reliability in terms of fully cycling the slide for good feeding and slide lock.

Springs are cheap. Try them out and see how they feel.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

Lower power recoil springs will reduce the muzzle dip as the slide goes back into battery - good thing. However, reliable feeding / chambering might be compromised - bad thing.

Unless something is out of spec, a 14 lb recoil spring should not cause any damage. You my sense a faster slide motion and it may feel a bit sharper so you need to see if the net change is worth it to you or not.

Going heavy will give you more muzzle dip but the recoil may feel a bit softer and the slide may seem a bit slower as the recoil impluse is spread out over a longer time frame. Going too heavy can impact reliability in terms of fully cycling the slide for good feeding and slide lock.

Thanks Rob. I will give it a shot tomorrow with both.

If your gun was built correctly a 14lb spring is fine. I run 14 lb springs in 3 different SS shooting 230 gr 171 PF loads. It has caused no damage to any of them with a minimum of 10,000 rounds fired thru the one used the least.

Thanks Rob. I will give it a shot tomorrow with both.

Good luck.

At the risk of getting flaimed, I'll also mention some shooters use an AL shok buffer (I don't) to act a dead hammer and reduce the impact. They have a whole set of their own issues but that might be an option if your are concerned. I would not recommend any of the rubber shok buffers - to likely to shred and jam up if you run them to long.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

If your gun was built correctly a 14lb spring is fine. I run 14 lb springs in 3 different SS shooting 230 gr 171 PF loads. It has caused no damage to any of them with a minimum of 10,000 rounds fired thru the one used the least.

Thanks Jaxshooter, I am anxious to see what I notice between going a little heavier or a little lighter. Curious how you settled on the 14 lbs and if you changed any of the other springs to help tune to your taste?

I do not use a buff of any kind. My guns have a 17 lb mainspring whether it is an open gun, limited gun or SS. I chose the 14 lb spring based on amount of muzzle flip and the recoil impluse it produced . I felt that a heavier spring 16 lb made the gun dip when the slide closed and anything lighter did not guarantee 100 % reliability. When testing remember each gun is different based on slide fit etc. I run 12.5 lb springs in my Limited guns because they produce the results I like with those guns. One open gun runs a 9 lb variable spring and my back up runs an 8 lb variable resulting in the same feel for both guns.

Get different weight springs and try them until you find what works best for you and your gun. Use your timer while testing the springs. It will help you determine how fast the gun is recovering for follow up shots.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I agree that you have to try different springs with your gun / load combination to see what works best for you.

You won't know until you try. There is lots of good info in another section of this forum relating to spring weight.

I currently run a 14lb recoil springs in my two .45's used in the games (both Kimbers) along with a 17lb Mainspring. After way more than 15,000 rounds of Major Power factor ammo through each gun I have yet to see any evidence of abnormal wear. An important point is that the .45 is sprung from the factory with a 16lb recoil spring for use with 189-190 Power factor factory ammo. Therefore the 14lb seems to me an ideal selection for 169-171 power factor ammo. I currently use the standard 14lb wolf spring, after trying 16lb, 15lb variable, 15lb standard and 14lb. I change my spring every 5000 rounds.

Also as others will point out, Different spring manufactures may measure +/- 1-2 lbs from each other.

I was getting some battering on the head of my guide rod with a worn out factory kimber spring. Switched to ISMI 16, then once I tuned the extractor I went down to ISMI 14 lbs. I am pretty happy there. The 16 actually "feels" a bit softer to me, but my splits are faster with the 14 so that is what I am running now. I am guessing that with the 16 the muzzle dips a bit on closing.

I know you are asking about recoil springs, but the mainspring weight can also affect slide velocity a bit, I use Ed Brown 19 lb mainsprings.

You can run all the way down to 10 ish lb springs depending on how you are making pf. IE big bullet fast powder. I started out with a 15 lb variable using 230gn bullet at 180pf. Now 250gn bullet at 168pf ... 10-13 lb variable wolf.

I run 200gr Bayou's with 4.3gr of Clays (176pf) I find the 12# spring works best for me. The gun has a 17# main spring, radiused firing pin block no buffer and no signs of battering.

If I shoot factory hard ball 230 then I go back to the 14# spring.

My gun runs fine with the 12#, your gun may not. A stiff spring causes more muzzle rise at the beginning of recoil, a weak spring causes more muzzle rise when the slide reaches the end of the stroke. The dip on closing is also a factor. Shooting a timed drill repeatedly will answer the question of which works for you. The timer has the answer. (equivalent hits).