Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Powder Revolvers

andrewst359

Have a little experience. To actually shoot one much you want a steel frame remington '58 copy the colts will eventually stretch the frame.(had a friend who used a brass frame colt copy and when last i talked to him years ago he had had it reworked at least twice) The remington has a topstrap whereas the colt does not.

I have a replica 1847 Colt Walker Dragoon... Fun to shoot, but a bear to clean. Black powder, even Pyrodex, is very corrosive, and if you don't clean immediately after firing (within a couple of hours) it will rust badly. And no, you aren't gonna shoot them as much as a modern type revolver, as it takes much longer to load them....and then there's the time between shots, waiting for the smoke to clear... :roflol:

I have several. Used to shoot them in SASS. LOT'S of fun, if you don't mind fooling with black powder (smoke, smell, cleaning, smell :D ).

I agree with the above posters; you want a steel framed gun if you plan on shooting it a bunch. Stainless is even better if you don't mind it not looking period. Most of mine came from Cabela's. I would consider them the Taurus's of the black powder revolver world. Shootable, and serviceable, but there are some manufacturer's that are a little better quality. That said, mine have literally had thousand's of rounds shot throught them in competition. Have wiped the smirk's off of many a smoke-less single action shooter! Once they could see me that is! :roflol:

There were a couple of things that seems to show up on my revolver's; hand wear, and nipple wear. While both are wearable items, in a corrosive enviroment, they do seem to have wear. Both are easily obtained for replacement though. If miss-fires start showing up, check the heighth of the nipples in comparision to each other. You may need to shim up one or two to get them up high enough for reliable ignition. Shims can easily be made from an aluminum coke can, with a sharpened 32acp case and a 22rf case (as I recall)used as punches.

You'll also need a way to keep chain firing from happening. Several options; Wonder Wads (higher cost), Cream-of-Wheat over the powder, but under the ball, (cheaper, and you have breakfast with you at the range!), lube over the ball (cheap, but makes a huge mess but keeps fouling soft and the cylinder turning freely).

I saw a recent article in a shooting magazine about whether a cap-and-ball revolver should be considered for a carry gun. While the article was interesting, and I have pondered it a time or two, it makes no sense to me, to risk my life when MUCH better options exist (most other options actually). That said, if that was all I had in a crissis, I would giv'm hell with five rounds and dissappear in the smoke screen! :D

Does anyone have experience with these? Are they a fad or could one shoot as much as a semi-auto if wanted? Which brands/models should a newb buy?

If you know or can find someone near you to give you the five cent tour of percussion revolvers, give that a try before you decide to spend a lot of cash. Ruger isn't making the Old Army model at this point.

The good news is that market pressure from a segment of the cowboy action shooting community has spurred the makers of modern reproductions to improve the fit and finish of their pistols.

Did you have a particular use in mind? Black powder is often a crowd-pleaser.

Nope. I like to target shoot. I have a 40, 45, 308 that I reload for. Also own a White Super 91 II muzzleloader. Im wanting something different to add to my collection.

No problem with that. At this point, look around and see what model appeals to you. I have Remington and Colt repros (both Piettas) that have been up on the wall for years.

The Remington was decently sighted and works well.

Not so, the Colt 1860 when I got it. The timing wasn't right. I had to refit the pawl and eventually found I also had to shim the mainspring on the pistol or ignition was erratic. The sights (such as they are) put bullets well high and left.

I finally took the Colt and had a buddy install a dovetail front sight. Now mine is nearly regulated and shoots reliably.

Mike Beliveau (duelist1954) has several U-tube clips about percussion guns, some of it about smithing. They may give you an idea what to watch out for.

Andrew,

Check out the CAS City forum and The Open Range. Both have some good sub forums/child boards dealing with Black Powder specific firearms in competition and fun. They are a blast to shoot, but I had to give them up for CAS when I started running matches because I couldn't be the timer operator and still get loaded with a small squad. Both Buffalo and Steel mirror my experiences with the pistols from the Darkside :devil: