Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips

Jody Waring

Can anyone comment on the thick aluminum CZ grips? I have the thin grip tape ones and always go back to the original rubber ones as they fill my hand better. Would the thick grips work for me, or should I look at the VZ. Grips or maybe the Houge aluminum ones? Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

I have VZ Tactical Diamond grips on my 75B - I like the grips for their looks and texture and prefer them over the stock grips, but they don't or feel any thicker. They do provide a more stable grip, but I would like them to be thicker as well.

The thick alum grips are definitely thicker and fill your hand better. I had a set on my 75B, however I went back to the thin alum grips because the thicks prevented me from hitting the mag release as smoothly without shifting my grip on the pistol. If you are having no problems with getting to the mag release with the rubber grips, the thick should be perfect for you.

I like the rubber grips as they fit my hand really well, but I am considering the aluminum so I can put grip tape on where needed, but I just find the thin grips just aren't enough as I find my support had doesn't even contact the grip much which makes my grip on the gun unstable. I haven't tried the thick aluminum ones and am hoping that maybe they might fit the bill. I have yet to see VZ grips in person, and the Hogue aluminum ones look really nice and they appear to follow the factory grip profile which might also be with checking out. Thanks for the input guys!

I like the rubber grips as they fit my hand really well, but I am considering the aluminum so I can put grip tape on where needed, but I just find the thin grips just aren't enough as I find my support had doesn't even contact the grip much which makes my grip on the gun unstable. I haven't tried the thick aluminum ones and am hoping that maybe they might fit the bill. I have yet to see VZ grips in person, and the Hogue aluminum ones look really nice and they appear to follow the factory grip profile which might also be with checking out. Thanks for the input guys!

IMO the VZs are the best looking and feeling of the bunch. I like the Tactical Diamonds and I LOVE the Diamondbacks. Either option provides superior aggressiveness to aluminum and grip tape (and I typically prefer grip tape on my other pistols).

IMO the VZs are the best looking and feeling of the bunch. I like the Tactical Diamonds and I LOVE the Diamondbacks. Either option provides superior aggressiveness to aluminum and grip tape (and I typically prefer grip tape on my other pistols).

The VZ Diamondbacks rock on either a 1911 or a CZ....

I have big hands. I started with the thin grips, but then moved to the thick. The thick are definitely noticeably thicker, however, they just weren't thick enough for me. I switched to the plastic grips ( which have the same profile as the stock rubber grips). I then took JB Weld, spread a thin layer on them, and coated the grips with silicon carbide. By far the best solution for my big sweaty hands.

This works much better than the grip tape, IMO. I have two sets now ( bought another set of plastic grips off a guy on CZ Forum for $14 ), so I just do both, and swap them when the grit starts getting smoothed over. About 2-3 months. Swap them for the fresh set, and then just redo the worn ones before 2-3 months goes by, swap again.

FYI, this is also legal per USPSA Production rules if you are curious about that.

DSC02198.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

The only downside to those grips is the cut isn't aggressive enough -- wish VZ Diamondback would have that contour and thickness. The 3m tape I referenced will add a bit more thickness and it will conform to and stay on the grip panels. FWIW...I "dremmelled" a bit on the support-side panel, near the mag release, to give me a bit more positive press. Depending on the size/length of your fingers, this is all personal.

IMG_1493.jpg

justaute, now those grips look promising! CZinSC, I used to do something similar with paint and sandblasting media. Nice job!