Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS 3G1 vs. Colt CRP18 for .223

Eric_Vmax

I got a CR Pro off the prize table at Rockcastle last year, and it came with a Vltor clamp on gas block. Is the adjustable gas new, or are there different models of CR Pro's?

Not sure how new the adjustable gas valve is, Dave Wilcox of Colt talks about it at the NRA 2012 Gun Show (

).

My big question for the 3-Gunners out there is HOW important is an adjustable gas valve. I have heard the blue locktite talk about the gas screw, how often would someone want to change this?

I am re-thinking the DPMS 3G1 because of the price and have more $$ to spend on sights. Odds are I will not be able to out shoot this gun anyway. The Colt is sexy but an extra $600 towards sights is sext too. LOL.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very ignorant about the adjustable gas valve. Is it the new, next big thing? has the technology/design been around for awhile?

Been around. Very good at tuning the gun for the components and load. Idea is not to have the gun over gassed and this minimized recoil. Couple that with light BCG and light buffer and you can turn down the gas for a very soft shooting gun.

Colt has just introduced a GB that can be adjusted by hand. This isn't a big deal but it's cool. Once adjusted, if your using the same ammo you shouldn't need much if any adjustment. Some people have noted that when shooting in cold wx an increase in gas pressure is a possibility. This has been more true with the JP captured spring system. Don't know, I like to stay out of cold wx if in can! :eatdrink:

Tar

I am very ignorant about the adjustable gas valve. Is it the new, next big thing? has the technology/design been around for awhile?

Been around. Very good at tuning the gun for the components and load. Idea is not to have the gun over gassed and this minimized recoil. Couple that with light BCG and light buffer and you can turn down the gas for a very soft shooting gun.

Colt has just introduced a GB that can be adjusted by hand. This isn't a big deal but it's cool. Once adjusted, if your using the same ammo you shouldn't need much if any adjustment. Some people have noted that when shooting in cold wx an increase in gas pressure is a possibility. This has been more true with the JP captured spring system. Don't know, I like to stay out of cold wx if in can! :eatdrink:

Tar

Operator error of course but I have seen JP rifles with adjustable gas turn into straight pull bolt actions up here because the owner set the gas system up when it was nice out and then it did not have enough gas on the cold morning of match day.

My vote for the price is Stag only because I have not seen the new Colt. Colt makes great rifles but they are generally slow to respond to market demands. This one is interesting. Not a fan of DPMS guns but they are a big supporter of the sport.

Edited by Alaskapopo

STAG 3G wins!!!

OK, since this topic seems to be not getting much action, unless someone can sell me on the adjustable gas valve on the Colt as being the best thing since sliced bread, I am going to go with the Stag 3G, it was really not even in the running but pure research on it makes it sound like the best option. I like the full lenght picatinny rail is also appealing but I am not sure why. NOW, I just have to find one, but I have all winter to do that since I live in Minnesota!! LOL :roflol:

Thanks for all the input, the next thing on my list of questions, is load data for 3Gunning with the Stag 3G. I will start researching this forum for that data.

Cheers,

Eric

Take a hard look at the Predator Tactical PT-15 as well. My buddy sent me his to play with and all I'll say is it's incredible that you get what you get out of the box from them. It's a little pricier than what you're looking at, but not by much and I can honestly say that with their rifle, you're done and no more modifications are needed. Throw your glass of choice and you're ready to play.

I have shot the DPMS 3G1 in 3-gun matches every month for 2 years now and have not had any complaints. Very accurate, awesome comp, great trigger. A buddy just picked up the new Colt and had to ship it back to Colt. I would buy the DPMS again without any hesitation or pop for a JP.

Its down to the DPMS 3G1 and the Stag 3G for sure, the Colt is just too pretty to be throwing into the stage buckets. I have the winter to wait for a good price. Now to find a shotgun. Looking at the Mossberg 930 JM but wondering about getting the 930 Pat Finnigan and either "cover" the ports or buy a 24 inch barrel.

I have shot the DPMS 3G1 in 3-gun matches every month for 2 years now and have not had any complaints. Very accurate, awesome comp, great trigger. A buddy just picked up the new Colt and had to ship it back to Colt. I would buy the DPMS again without any hesitation or pop for a JP.

I have had to send several guns back to DPMS over the years at work. I would not let the fact someones friend had to return a rifle sway your judgment.

Pat

All 3 options are good. Just a matter of what forend you prefer and whether or not you plan to tune your gun to a load, but you can always set it up later with adj. gas block and low mass setup. Wylde chamber would be my choice, but then again you can always put another barrel on it later. Few leave an AR alone in the configuration they bought it, that's part of the fun.

I have had to send several guns back to DPMS over the years at work. I would not let the fact someones friend had to return a rifle sway your judgment.

Pat

Thanks, that is not swaying my judgement, I do not think I can outshoot either the DPMS or the Stag and either would be a good starting point. My Colt AR carbine with the A4 handle is not the best choice, who knew that flat tops would be the way to go. For me, out of the box the forend length on the Stag seems to be the defacto standard and it pushing me towards that, but then, I could buy a new one for the DPMS but that would mean a new low profile gas block, which pushes me toward the Stag again.

I REALLY want to buy the DPMS because I live in Minnesota and they are manufactured less then 90 miles from my house and I already own a DPMS AR-10 (still have not shot it yet). I will let the prices help me decide and watch them over the winter. Thanks.

Pat

Thanks, that is not swaying my judgement, I do not think I can outshoot either the DPMS or the Stag and either would be a good starting point. My Colt AR carbine with the A4 handle is not the best choice, who knew that flat tops would be the way to go. For me, out of the box the forend length on the Stag seems to be the defacto standard and it pushing me towards that, but then, I could buy a new one for the DPMS but that would mean a new low profile gas block, which pushes me toward the Stag again.

I REALLY want to buy the DPMS because I live in Minnesota and they are manufactured less then 90 miles from my house and I already own a DPMS AR-10 (still have not shot it yet). I will let the prices help me decide and watch them over the winter. Thanks.

I have pushed a lot of friends towards the Stag 3G and they are all happy. Other than a crappy comp this rifle is about perfect from the box. Another option is to build one.

I have my Colt in hand now and I am glad that I bought it. It is awesome. However, if I could have gotten the Stag quicker than 2 months wait time I would have went that route. The only thing the Stag lacks is a adjustable gas block and a decent Comp.

I have my Colt in hand now and I am glad that I bought it. It is awesome. However, if I could have gotten the Stag quicker than 2 months wait time I would have went that route. The only thing the Stag lacks is a adjustable gas block and a decent Comp.

Have you used the adjustable gas block much? Is it that big of an advantage?

Get the Colt

I like the adjustable gas block..No locktite needed because it has a very solid detent system. This baby is a tack driver! I find if I tune the gas port to where it's happy, I open it one more click and it will function in any weather!! The Comp is awesome. Shurefire and you can attach a can to it if you want to somewhere down the line. Trigger is crisp and clean. The place I bought it had the Colt and a Stag..I played with them side by side as well as compare workmanship. The upper and lower fit were like a glove ...Colt won it for me. Resale is always going to be there.

Funny, some of the folks who respond say the Stag except it has a crappy comp! I hate to be biased but the Colt has nothing crappy on it!. Would be best to have both and compare. BTW, the colt has the Wylde chamber :)

Oh yea...It's pretty too. So, you might have to get the Benelli to match it LOL

Edited by lablover

Not that it really matters much, but I just got back from the range after shooting my new JP CTR02. It's a lot of money, but it's a damn fine shooting rifle. I let our local CMP match officer shoot it and he was totally impressed. JP gets my money from now on. I still think a JP-15 is an excellent value for the dollar and not that much more than a Colt. JMHO....

Edited by Marv Z

Not that it really matters much, but I just got back from the range after shooting my new JP CTR02. It's a lot of money, but it's a damn fine shooting rifle. I let our local CMP match officer shoot it and he was totally impressed. JP gets my money from now on. I still think a JP-15 is an excellent value for the dollar and not that much more than a Colt. JMHO....

Except for JP rifles has a 4-6 month backlog.

I shot my Colt today and all I can say is holy :surprise: . It is smooth! There is zero muzzle rise and the recoil feels near zero. For a 7 lb rifle if feels much lighter due to the balance of the rifle.

With as nice as this rifle shoots I am going to go broke from ammo costs...

With JP's ready rifle program, you can have a off the shelf rifle in three to four days. If you want something custom, it will take longer. My CTR02 lower took three weeks. I have no doubts the Colt is a fine rifle, but I'll stick with JP. Now you need to start reloading more!!! http://www.jprifles.com/1.ready_rifle.php

Edited by Marv Z