Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 124gr MG FMJ not super accurate...help.

JohnLTD

I have been shooting a lot of my reloaded 9mms lately and I keep finding that they are just not that accurate. I am shooting a fairly new, about 1k through it, G34 with stock barrel. So this weekend I tested my ammo compared to some Factory Federal 115gr FMJ and the federal was making groups about half the size of mine(recipe below). I had a good warm up session then at 15yds shot 3 five round groups of each with the best being 4/5 touching with Federal and my ammo grouped twice as large.

I have just gotten into reloading for 9mm (been doing .45, .38, 357 for years)and after a lot of time on the web, mostly here, I decided to try the following. I am loading 124gr MG FMJ, 4.2 gr of W231, with federal SPP, in mixed mostly once fired brass, COAL about 1.12in, using a Dillon 650. I don't really know on the crimp, it's just enough to remove any bell.

Any Ideas on how I can improve this?

I load 4.3gns of N320 on MG 124FMJ. I found the OAL with the best accuracy was around 1.145-1.150.

Shooting out of a CZ SP01.

Did you ream your barrel? or just stock? I haven't tried that long but I know jacketed (rounded nose) runs thinner than moly coat.

I load 4.3gns of N320 on MG 124FMJ. I found the OAL with the best accuracy was around 1.145-1.150.

Shooting out of a CZ SP01.

Did you ream your barrel? or just stock? I haven't tried that long but I know jacketed (rounded nose) runs thinner than moly coat.

I load my MG FMJ at 1.160" in my CZ's, clearance is fine. Push measures 1.178 in stock barrels. I use WSF but I do agree that 4.4 to 4.6 grs of 231/HP-38 would probably help with that powder.

Edited by Cheesewhiz

I'm using 124gr Precision Delta FMJ's right now with 4.5gr of Win 231 @ 1.140" out of a 5" 1911 with a PF of 135. You should try the longer OAL. Also, pick up some 115/147gr and try them as well.

Edited by polizei1

Thanks a bunch for the replies! I am going to try the following things in this order.

1. Increase the COAL

2. Increase the charge

3. Change bullets

If there is anything else you all think of let me know.