Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doubling, any advise?

Sleepswithdogs

Took my new AR to the range today, shot like a Abrams in the desert. Have a couple of small changes to make but all in all, I'm more than satisfied.

Had one small problem, bolt wasn't locking back, but it was easily cured with a 1/2 turn open on the gas block.

I did have one big problem, it's doubling. Not just once or twice but out of 40 rounds doubled 4 times. I took to loading 1 round at a time it was so bad. I think all I have to do is re-adjust the sear on the trigger, (it's a JP EZ installed by me) but if there is anything else I need to look at, I sure would appreciate a heads up.

I already have the red locktite supplied by them, on the threads and have some left over, also have some blue locktite. Guess I'm going to have to get out a small torch to get the red loose, Not sure which I should use red or blue when I re-adjust it, guess I'll decide after I try and get that tiny allen loose.

Any advice, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Is there an overtravel adjustment? If so, give yourself a little more overtravel.

Yes there is, and I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try first, thanks.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ok, I got it to fail a safety check, had the hammer drop when I release the trigger, so the sear engagement is just barely out. Now I'm not sure what to do, tried to move the allen set screw and couldn't cause it has the red locktite on it. Hate to take a torch to that tiny trigger, think it could easily warp. Any suggestions? Soldering iron?

Thanks,

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Could try the tip of a soldering iron applied directly to the screw.

Shooter115

Try a small butane torch. Should be able to provide the heat needed without any trouble. Keep light to moderate torque on as you give it a little heat and it should pop way before you warp anything.

Thanks guys, think I can get either of those for about $10.

If the hammer drops while releasing the trigger, the disconnecter timing is off. It's releasing the hammer to soon.

Ya, that is my fault. Guess I set it a hair thin, now I need to break the red Locktite loose from those tiny, tiny allen screws. Guess my options are soldering iron or small butane torch. If you know of any other options, I'd sure appreciate hearing about'em.

Thanks everyone,

Tar

If the hammer drops while releasing the trigger, the disconnecter timing is off. It's releasing the hammer to soon.

Ya, that is my fault. Guess I set it a hair thin, now I need to break the red Locktite loose from those tiny, tiny allen screws. Guess my options are soldering iron or small butane torch. If you know of any other options, I'd sure appreciate hearing about'em.

Thanks everyone,

Tar

Heat is heat. A propane torch with flame low and directed away engagement surfaces will do it. You can get some "Heatstop" from Brownells.

Ok, I don't do man crushes, but, just bought a BernzOmatic micro torch... WOW was that cool. Blasted that locktite out like nothing!! And all for the princely sum of $10 bucks!!

Now to re-install the trigger.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated

Tar

Amazing one can buy something like that for $10. Sure got that locktite out in a hurry, with no fuss, no muss.

Have the trigger all re-adjusted, and hope the problem is solved.

Thanks again, one and all.

Tar