Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Something very weird is happening

I've had my 650 for about 4 days! I developed a load, went to the range, was thrilled with the load and the way it shot, promptly went home and loaded 100 rounds. The first 100 took me 9 minutes to load. I was in reloading heaven! Went to the range the next day and shot all 100 rounds.

Came home and loaded another 100 rounds......this loading on a 650 is pretty cool right! Then proceeded to load another 500 rounds just because I enjoy the 650 so much. Oh what the hell, load the entire 1000 I have and call it good.

Sorry for the story, here is my problem!

"I NOW WANT ANOTHER DILLON PRESS TO LOAD MY 223 ON" And I'm eyeballing a 1050. Do they mix some type of dust in the shipping box's or something. You open the box, get a whif and already start thinking of ordering a second press.

I have to say this is the best purchase I have made in my reloading history.

I can see a 1050 loading all my 223 right?? :) Why mess with the tool head change

Bad part of the whole thing..........................I'm out of brass and bullets to load! Good thing the Wife and I are going to the range today in a few hours.......

The good thing.....my Wife has no filters when she shoots...."GIVE ME MORE BOOLITS" So, she will have zero issue with me getting another press :)

The 1050 is the best dillon press in my opinion so you will not go wrong buying it. It is what I load on and the only press in dillons line that both stages and primes on the down stroke.

However; you have the 650 caliber changes are cheaper and easier compared to the 1050 and in .223 all you need is someone to process your 223 brass and you will be good for a long time without dropping the 1700 dollars on a 1050. Going rate to process 223 brass is 30$ per thousand plus shipping.

Just a thought

Retread

The 650 is a great press but the 1050 is an AMAZING press. If I had to give up one of mine, it wouldn't be the 1050. That being said, IMO, the 1050 has a steeper learning curve than the 650. Not so much in operation, but primarily in setup and maintenance. That's not to say the 1050 is bad to maintain, it's just a different and more complex animal. For .223, the swager is a great addition. The only problem I've run into with my 1050 is that I end up wanting to load my other calibers on it too.

I know what your saying...I had my 550 for only a month when I ordered my 650. Now I also am looking at the 1050 :D I wonder if the wife will notice another "Big Blue Machine" bolted to the bench.....

carbonman has got the idea :)

It's only money!

Exactly, "It's only money" and think of how much money can be saved by buying the 1050 at the get go instead of embarking on a multi-step upgrade program.

And now I wonder - how all these savings would or wouldn't work had I bought big blue instead of little red to start with? Hmmmm!

Edited by aviatrix

If it is in the budget, a Super1050 for loading 223 is ideal.

The biggest thing about 223 is the brass prep. The 1050 eliminate the primer pocket part which is no small part if you are getting once fired brass with a crimped primer.

On the other hand, if you buy 100% processed brass, another 650 sans the case feeder would be just fine.

What caliber do you load for pistol ?

I love my 1050 and finally after about 8 months have it dialed, in terms of knowing exactly how it works, feeling the operation of the machine and knowing how to handle errors when they come up. I load .45 and .308 on it, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a .223 setup. I see a lot of members have multiple presses for multiple calibers, or dedicated to small and large primer systems. While I haven't changed from large to small primer system yet, I don't think its so difficult or time consuming enough to justify dropping ~$2k to avoid. Hell, half the fun of this press for me has been the tinkering and learning.

I love my 1050 and finally after about 8 months have it dialed, in terms of knowing exactly how it works, feeling the operation of the machine and knowing how to handle errors when they come up. I load .45 and .308 on it, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a .223 setup. I see a lot of members have multiple presses for multiple calibers, or dedicated to small and large primer systems. While I haven't changed from large to small primer system yet, I don't think its so difficult or time consuming enough to justify dropping ~$2k to avoid. Hell, half the fun of this press for me has been the tinkering and learning.

Amen. I love maintaining my 1050. I have found that if I am shooting enough to really need 2 I am not having fun at it and shooting competitively is about having fun for me.

<snip> While I haven't changed from large to small primer system yet, I don't think its so difficult or time consuming enough to justify dropping ~$2k to avoid. Hell, half the fun of this press for me has been the tinkering and learning.

I agree. I have had my 1050 for a few months now (replaced a 650) and load both 9mm & .45apc. I have seperate toolheads and bullet droppers set-up so change over is not all that difficult but I do take my time to clean and lube the press when I do it. I like to have about 5k loaded on hand before I change over.

har har har!

i had a 650. sold it and bout a 1050. got it in 45 and bought a 223 conversion etc etc.

switching it over from 45 to 223 was not too bad. now that i have done it once it will be much easier....BUT

last night i picked up one in 45. so now i got one for 223 set up and one for 45! oh my!

post-40201-0-02418200-1349190674_thumb.j

har har har!

i had a 650. sold it and bout a 1050. got it in 45 and bought a 223 conversion etc etc.

switching it over from 45 to 223 was not too bad. now that i have done it once it will be much easier....BUT

last night i picked up one in 45. so now i got one for 223 set up and one for 45! oh my!

Congrats on the RL snag! I have always heard that the RLs have a shorter smoother stroke, but I have never seen side by side pics before. The toolhead on the RL is much lower. It's a more dramatic difference than I thought.