Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Optic Options

dcloudy777

Swarovski Z6i BRT and I also have an off set Aimpoint Micro. I only use the Aimpoint on really close targets that I have to take on the move or on stages where you have a rapid transition from long to close or vice versa without movement in between. Then I set the scope to the magnificaiton I need and use the red dot for close in stuff.

NoveskeRogueHunter.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'm still in my first season of this game, but I use a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x and a 45 degree offset Burris FastFire III. The 2.5-10x is a little but much, perhaps. However, the price wasn't bad. It's overkill for my state matches, so I usually go between 2.5 and 5x.

What rifle target distances are you expecting?

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not really looking for suggestions, (I've never been smart enough to take advice anyway :devil: ) I'm just looking for an cross-section of what other open shooters are running. I'm probably going to do things a little different... I'm mounting an offset Eotech for use on most targets, and just using the scope for when I really need the magnification. I have a super nice Bushnell 3-12 Mildot... too much magnification really, but I don't have to turn it all the way up. The Nikon M223 2-8 looks good too, and cheap.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not really looking for suggestions, (I've never been smart enough to take advice anyway :devil: ) I'm just looking for an cross-section of what other open shooters are running. I'm probably going to do things a little different... I'm mounting an offset Eotech for use on most targets, and just using the scope for when I really need the magnification. I have a super nice Bushnell 3-12 Mildot... too much magnification really, but I don't have to turn it all the way up. The Nikon M223 2-8 looks good too, and cheap.

You can do what you like but I would strongly recommend against an EOTECH as your off set red dot. Its freaking heavy and huge for this purpose. Get your self a Burket off set mount or a Larue off set mount and get a micro red dot like the Aimpoint H1. Unless you just like really heavy guns.

Pat

Appreciate it Pat, but the new XP Eotechs only weigh about 5 ounces more than an Aimpoint Micro with an offset mount. From my previous life as a person who actually trained with guns (what a sucker I was), I've got approximately 2.3 gazillion rounds through Eotechs. I literally see the reticle in my sleep sometimes. :ph34r:

Besides, I'm not exactly light myself, and my guns share the same weight philosophy. I shot WWII at TXMG this year, and was probably the only one who couldn't get used to how light the Garand was... :devil:

Appreciate it Pat, but the new XP Eotechs only weigh about 5 ounces more than an Aimpoint Micro with an offset mount. From my previous life as a person who actually trained with guns (what a sucker I was), I've got approximately 2.3 gazillion rounds through Eotechs. I literally see the reticle in my sleep sometimes. :ph34r:

Besides, I'm not exactly light myself, and my guns share the same weight philosophy. I shot WWII at TXMG this year, and was probably the only one who couldn't get used to how light the Garand was... :devil:

The Aimpoint Micro weighs less than 4 ounches with the mount its probably 6 ounches. The Eotech XPS weighs 8 ounces without a mount so thats double. But if its what you prefer go with it. There are even smaller red dots like the Delta Point you could use.

Pat

I use the Swaro Z6i 1-6 BRT. My side dot is a CMore STS but I rarely use it. I prefer to use my main optic on 1 power unless I need to so several near far transitions and then the side dot is very handy because I can set the Swaro to the power I want and shoot the short stuff with the CMore.

Doug

Open is an arms race with the shooter always wanting better gear. That's why it's the dark side. Maybe with the right gear you can overthrow the Emporer and rule the universe as Father and Son. OH sorry.

I guess just explore why you want to go open. If you want to win or get lots faster, then listen to the winners and go for the high end gear that is lighter and nicer. If it's just for fun, then remember that you will be in a class where the winners all have the best gear and not worry about it.

I used the Eotech XPS for a while (45')...did not even notice the extra weight it is kinda big...shot the Burkett mount with a Fastfire 1....that was also a good setup. Currently using a Alum/click Cmore (6moa)on the 45' handguard. The magnified optic is a TA-11F...they all worked fine...well Eotech failed but as far as one setup being better shooting....they all got the job done.