Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Solo 1000 usually dirty?

Ssanders224

Hey guys,

Just tried some Solo 1k in .40, and have mixed feelings.

I think it shot pretty well, feels nice, and meters well in my Dillon, but geez it seems dirty.

I'm loading 180gr Xtreme plated bullets at 1.170", with 4.7gr of Solo1k. This load isn't QUITE major, but I'm working up slowly

Only problem is, after about 150 rounds, the front inch of my gun (Bedell Spitfire) is covered in black soot. The barrel hood, ejection port, and tops of the mags get sooty as well.

I'm wondering I'm still very low on pressure, so it's just not all burning off well?(

I have the opposite experience with Solo 1000; when I used to load 180's I used 4.8 grains of Solo with BBI moly bullets for practice. Load was very clean and made major. In my normal 200 rnd practice sessions the gun would have a little soot on it but would be pretty clean overall. Clean enough that I would usually wait till about 500 rounds before cleaning. Try bumping up the charge a little, maybe higher pressure will do the trick.

More powder will result in higher pressures for a more complete burn. If you get all the way to major it should get better. In my experience Solo 1000 is much cleaner in 40 major than in 40 minor, however I am using moly coated lead bullets.

Yeah, this is my load too, but significantly shorter at 1.135. I think my shorter OAL makes the higher pressure burn the powder more completely. It is a bit smokey with BBI, and Bear Creek 180s, but as you say, the recoil impulse and accuracy are there. Let us know how it goes, I am interested to hear how bumping your load works out. Stay safe, JZ

Yeah, this is my load too, but significantly shorter at 1.135. I think my shorter OAL makes the higher pressure burn the powder more completely. It is a bit smokey with BBI, and Bear Creek 180s, but as you say, the recoil impulse and accuracy are there. Let us know how it goes, I am interested to hear how bumping your load works out. Stay safe, JZ

I'll update with the results.

JimmyZ, how much powder are you loading at that length? What PF does it get you? Any pressure signs?

I can't remember what this chronos at. it is a BBI or Bear Creek 180gr. bullet with 4.7 or 4.8 gr. of SOLO 1k. The OAL is 1.135. This is out of a CZ TS. This pistol requires a short OAL. It shoots very well. If I remember well, 4.8 is my max for that OAL. I haven't chrono'd for a new lot of powder as I am still on the first 24 lbs I bought when I started with SOLO. It isn't really dirty at all when your pressures are good. It seems to me that most powders that I have worked up loads for are dirty at lower pressure levels. As I worked through the data and bumped more complete burns seemed to iron a lot of the bumps out, and soot or unburned powder disappeared or diminished significantly. JZ

I know this thread is concerning Solo and major .40, but I've also loaded Solo in mousefart 9mm minor loads with plated bullets and found it was pretty clean. recoil impulse was OK, but it is after all 125pf loads.

Using Solo for .40 major with moly bullets and 9mm minor bunnyfarts.

Edited by blaster113

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever actually smelled a bunny fart? How did you accomplish this? Details appreciated, but nothing graphic please; this is a family forum.

Kidding aside. I've noticed the same thing with minor loads in my M&P Pro .40. But, the most important thing is that they run the gun well and shoot great for 3G and IDPA and minor USPSA. Soot wipes off every time...

• 2 weeks later...

I load 4.6 of solo 1k with 180 bear creeks. And my edge is a dream to clean thakes me about 10 minutes from start to finish, I switched to this powder only for .40 because it is so clean with zero leading. I can shoot two or three matches before i feel the need to clean my gun.

Anyone ever actually smelled a bunny fart? How did you accomplish this? Details appreciated, but nothing graphic please; this is a family forum.

Kidding aside. I've noticed the same thing with minor loads in my M&P Pro .40. But, the most important thing is that they run the gun well and shoot great for 3G and IDPA and minor USPSA. Soot wipes off every time...

havent had the pleasure of smelling a bunny fart but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once... :D

after years of shooting major pf .40 and .38SC and dealing with the recoil, noise and muzzle blast, I find it funny how some people chase after the softest minor PF load, aka "Bunnyfart or Mousefart" haha. I laugh to myself everytime I shoot minor stuff out of my 9mm SIG in a match. my preferred soft fart sound load for my P226 uses a 147 grain bullet and Solo.