Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quad mag pouch for SS going away?

sharps4070ss

First I've heard about it, and hopefully I'd know. There is confusion about the way the mag pouch rule change was written. It says each must be retained individually in their own pouch. This fulfills that. Each mag has it's own pouch, they are just mounted together. The rule was intended to prohibit the spring loaded mag racks that have a bunch of mags in the same pouch and pushed foward by a spring.

They are probably talking about the ruling from the Dec 2011 BOD meeting.

Motion: Production and Single Stack Appendix will have the following

added: Each magazine must be contained individually within the magazine

pouch. Magazines may not be retained through magnetic means. Effective

January 1, 2013

Moved: A4 Seconded A5 Passed

However, I believe the mag pouch in your picture will be legal since all mags will have their own mag pouch. This rule change is more about the spring loaded mag pouch that contains all 4 or 5 mags, and the spring pushes the next mag into the front position when each mag is removed. ( did i describe that well enough? )

Depends on which brand you use and how they are attached to the belt as well. Maximum lateral distance from inside of belt to mag can not exceed 2". See App D5 and E2. The interior mag is certainly okay. The outboard mag is the key.

I made one competitor remount a Quad mag pouch a few months ago for this reason. He was measuring from inside of outer belt, not inner belt.

How about the Safariland 775 Slimline Open Top double and triple magazine pouches? ( http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=775 )

They certainly meet the distance requirement, but the “retained individually in their own pouch” part might be fuzzy since the individual mags are separated on the inside by a bolt with a neoprene rubber bushing for retention, and on the outside a formed indentation for each mag. The pouch doesn’t totally enclose around each mag individually.

Agreed, the intent is clear and what you say makes sense.

After I read the "retained individually in their own pouch" statement it got me to thinking...which doesn't always end well! :goof:

Am I wrong then in thinking that the comp-tac beltfeed will be ok for SS?

I've measured from inside of inner belt to magazine and it measures slightly less than 1.75", that's well within the 2" rule.

I'll be new to single stack when my 1911 comes back from Alchemy and dove head in, buying up gear to shoot.

I use a different beltfeed for production and am a big fan of the pouch.

yes, they are all individual mag pouches, so that would be legal for SS or Production, as long as the outside pouches are within 2", which you said they were. Good to go.

This is the kind that won't be legal come 2013:

garrett-GI-SLMC-008_zps5d48d2a6.jpg