Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa 2nd gun?

jjm572

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor’s original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the substitution provided he is satisfied:

5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant Division.

5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a competitive advantage.

5.1.7.3 The competitor’s replacement handgun and its appropriate ammunition must be chronographed per Rule 5.6, regardless of whether or not the original handgun was previously tested.

5.1.7.4 If the original handgun/ammunition was not previously tested, and if the original handgun has already been used on a stage, and can be safely fired (i.e. the malfunction is not related to an inability to safely fire the handgun), then the original handgun and its ammunition supply remain subject to testing.

I was at a match a couple of years ago, and a competitors gun failed. The RM told him that the replacement gun had to be the same make and model.

IMO, the RM was wrong, but since the RM has the final call, you are always at the mercy of his knowledge of the rules.

I was at a match a couple of years ago, and a competitors gun failed. The RM told him that the replacement gun had to be the same make and model.

IMO, the RM was wrong, but since the RM has the final call, you are always at the mercy of his knowledge of the rules.

Murphy's Law says there is always 10% who don't get the word or know what they are talking about. Personally when I screw up I always thank Murphy for enlightening me. If the call would take me out of the match, I think I would have to try an arb as there would only be more money at stake.

I think arbitration would be the final word on this too.

Not really. I've been the RM at several matches and at several months ago, I really was not sure. I conferred with two experienced CROs and still was not sure. Called an RMI and got advice, just to be sure. We think we made the right call, but it was not one guy on the island. FWIW, call went in the benefit of the shooter. If I was at a match and the RM made the wrong call, I would certainly take the issue to my AD and or the RMI staff and or DNROI. That is how I understand the process to work. We ain't on tape all the time so bad calls don't often get dissected as they should in an effort to better educate those who officiate.

If the call would take me out of the match, I think I would have to try an arb as there would only be more money at stake.

I think arbitration would be the final word on this too.

Yup, I think that the arb committee can override the RM on this. My reading of the rule book is that the RM only has final authority in the realm of equipment when classifying whether sights are open or optical (5.1.3.3), duty gear allowed in a division (5.2.8), handicap aids allowed in a division (5.2.9), and adequate eye/ear protection (5.4.2). I don't think 6.2.5 comes into play here since the shooter declared a Division at the beginning of the match -- unless the Division is unavailable or deleted at around the same time the shooter's gun breaks.

As stated you could arb but it would not go that far for me. The RM was 100% wrong and a quick reading of the rulebook would point this out. If he persisted in bad calls I would get NROI involved too cause I have no idea where that thinking is coming from.

I agree I would arb it. For open im shooting am sti the backup is A glock open hun I had assembled on the cheap for limited my old limited glock is the backup to an sti keep the extra racemaster block with the gun and appropriate ammo for any non local match. Identical backups for me arnt going to happen cash wise so I make do

As long as the new pistol does not grant a competitive advantage you are good to go.

Now if your M&P broke and you replaced it with a CZ... well... you might be out of luck. :)

Blasphemy!

*MY* M&Ps offer a competitive advantage for sure. :devil: