Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullet Question

Shadowrider

I have 2 or 3 thousand of Donnie's 200 grain RN. After they are gone I'm going back to 230 grain.

Do the 230 Bayous have the same shoulder as the 200s? The plain lead bullets in 230 I've been getting also have a shoulder and I'm hoping the Bayous do too. I want to seat them a little bit deeper and roll crimp over it to reduce the bullet pull I'm getting in my 625 revolver. No matter how hard I taper crimp they just refuse to not pull out.

Edited by Shadowrider

I have 2 or 3 thousand of Donnie's 200 grain RN. After they are gone I'm going back to 230 grain.

Do the 230 Bayous have the same shoulder as the 200s? The plain lead bullets in 230 I've been getting also have a shoulder and I'm hoping the Bayous do too. I want to seat them a little bit deeper and roll crimp over it to reduce the bullet pull I'm getting in my 625 revolver. No matter how hard I taper crimp they just refuse to not pull out.

Shooters Connection sells a .45 200RN that does not have the sharp shoulder on it. Great bullet. I wonder if the slick finish on the Bayous is contributing to them pulling out from recoil...hope this helps. Kirb

Running a FCD ?

Some lead bullets (reportedly) will get squeezed to a smaller diameter by the FDC. Then, the brass will spring back to a bit larger diameter...leaving the bullet relatively looser in the case.

I can verify this as true, my bullets will work they're way out of the case when run trough the FCD. After the 5th shot #6 is maybe 1/16" longer. Doesn't happen without the use of FCD or at least its no where near as noticeable. This is all with Bayous.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

• 1 month later...

This is easy to prove. Load some up with the FCD and some up with a regular Taper crimp. Now pull the bullets and grab that strange thing called a caliper, measure the bullets, you will find those loaded with athe FCD are undersize now. They go wobbling down your barrel leaving a trail of caca. Enough said.

Been there done that and spent days cleaning the barrel, the fcd is now good and rusty.

I am using the Bayou 230 gr RN in my 625 using a Lee FCD and have not had that problem. I had a couple of moonclips with 2 rounds in them from Saturday's match. I just measured the OAL and they are the same as when they were loaded. Are the people that are experiencing this problem over crimping them?

Just an update. I just shot MCC with these and shot 94.31% of points shot. The recoil impulse is "snappier" but not as punishing and I think the sight gets back down a bit quicker, so I think I'm going to keep using them for awhile. And I've learned that seated real deep and roll crimped they don't pull at all in a revo. One of my shooting buddies said they looked like a simunition round. The chrono guy at MCC fired a round and called the number, fired the 2nd round and called the same number, and fired the 3rd and called it 3 fps faster. Then he wanted to know what powder I was using. Clays and BBs is good stuff!

Edited by Shadowrider

This is easy to prove. Load some up with the FCD and some up with a regular Taper crimp. Now pull the bullets and grab that strange thing called a caliper, measure the bullets, you will find those loaded with athe FCD are undersize now. They go wobbling down your barrel leaving a trail of caca. Enough said.

Been there done that and spent days cleaning the barrel, the fcd is now good and rusty.

I've been loading with BB's and LFCD for 40K rounds in both .40 and .45. I've never experienced your issue.

My experience with the FCD with lead indicates it will feed and chamber, most always go through checking fixture. I have found that accuracy is an issue. Those that do not fit the check fixture, get the FCD treatment and always pass, then used only for practice. A friend had a special factory crimp die made with the internal ring ID another one thousands larger (Lee called it the Colt 45 die diameter). It solved the problem.

With jacketed bullets, the FCD works great as it is designed for jacketed bullets.

Hope this helps

No Bayou's 230 RN have no shoulder.

I've had good luck using a roll crimp from a .45 AR Die Set with either Plated or Lead/Coated bullets. Both without crimping grooves or cannelures.

Also had the same problems with Taper Crimped Revolver Rounds pulling out. Doesn't actually seem to cause a problem with velocity or accuracy, but my OCD says it will!

I have a M29 I use with 230 LRN and they have a crimping groove and still show a minute amount of pull out, very minute but if reused it can increase. Which is the problem with bullet pull out in general, reusing the rounds in later moonclips.

Also the slicker the bullet, like Coated Bullets, will show more pull out.

• 2 weeks later...