Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone used the black para mags with the factory extension?

bmiller

I recently purchased a bunch of black para mags with extensions from cdnn for my p18. These mags have been nothing but trouble. Replaced spring with Wolfe springs, now it goes to slide lock with one in the mag. Any tips? I have one that I tweaked the feed lips, and it is better, but will still jam up once in a while.

Please post a picture of the mags. Cdnn was selling mags they called P18 9mm/38super and they are blued magazines. These magazines are 38super not 9mm magazines. The grooves in the body of the magzine are different between 9mm and 38super. The guts of the two are the same except for generation differences in the followers.

9mm magazines the forward groove is deeper and the wide V at top of magazine goes further towards bottom of magazine. All the 9mm magzines I have are factory chrome/nickel plated. The factory part number for 9mm magazine is PNM9. I have not seen a blued 9mm magazine.

38super magazine body both grooves are the same depth and the deep V at front of magazine is much shorter than a 9mm magazine.

Barry

I've got 3 of the CDNN mags and none of them feed 9mm past ~12 rounds.

Illustration of what Barry is taking about here:

http://38super.net/Pages/Para%20Magazines.html

Which shows that at least the ones I got are for 38 super.

I have some nickel ones that came with my 9mm upper direct from Para and they are the same and have the same issue. :angry2: . This week I have been tweeking them by taking a 9/64 drill bit in each of the front grooves and throwing them in a vice. Got one of them that will hand cycle all 21 rounds without getting hung up, another one gets hung up on round 19 but cycles the rest.

I did contact Para about this and got a response from their web page:

MAGAZINE AVAILABILITY:

In our effort to improve the quality of the products that we manufacture, we are in the process of redesigning our magazines. During this process limited types of magazines will be available. As the new magazine designs are release and produced we will be adding them to the Pro Shop. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and will have the magazines for your pistol back on the Pro Shop as soon as possible.

With a note that new magazines will be coming "soon" and to keep watching their page(paraproshop.com)

• 2 weeks later...

The mags I received where definitely 38 super mags according to the link above. I used a round punch beside the mag in a vice to tweak the mag body, and they run fine! Did not have to touch feed lips at all. The changes are very subtle to the appearance. But the gap between the front of the cartridges is gone. I appreciate the help, and bookmarked the link above. It is a great reference piece.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it. In all fairness Jim Anglin of Sailors Custom Pistols provided me info on how to tweak the mags. I didn't try it until I ran across the link that documents what needs to be done really well.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't look substantially different after they are fixed. Just put something(dowel, metal rod, etc) in the grooves that are towards the front of the mag and throw it in a vice. Work slow and progressively increase pressure until all of the rounds feed. You can start to tell the difference on a full mag as there will be a minimal gap between the 1st and 2nd round(reference my link earlier)

Doesn't need to, you're only really concerned about pinching the area where the mag transitions between straight and tapered. The point idea is to try and lengthen the transition groove(from the link above):

AllParaMags.jpg

I really did not make the groove longer, but pinched the mag body in. It really does not take much to make them work. I did one side at a time. You can tell it is working when you load the mag and the gap between the front of the rounds disappears.

I really did not make the groove longer, but pinched the mag body in. It really does not take much to make them work. I did one side at a time. You can tell it is working when you load the mag and the gap between the front of the rounds disappears.

..ahh! Ok thanks....

• 4 weeks later...

My Para Open gun was originally built as a 38 Super. I had it rebarreled for 9mm but the old 38 Super mags

wouldn't work, no matter how long I loaded the bullets.

Luckily, I also have a P18 and several 9mm mags. They run great and another thing I noticed is they work

with the 38 Super topend also.

Craig