Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kaboom with tight group

mr renwick

Heck, if you're paying attention most safety procedures and features are not needed. Ask meat cutters or carpenters.

I've seen more than a few squibs from folks who load on turrets or single stages who are claiming "I look at each case with my own eyes to verify blah blah blah". I believe them but...Oopsies happen.

Since I wanted a bullet feeder and I know I really, really wanted that RCBS Lock-Out Die, my only option was a 5 station press. Glad I got the 650, since the Lock-Out Die was my main consideration. I'm still planning on looking at the case each time, but I know there's going to be a time when I don't and then at least the Lock-Out Die will be there to hopefully save me. Of course to do that it has to work correctly and I had to set it up correctly.

However with using Titegroup or other fast powders you still run a risk of using x more grains and still could get a KB if you are already in the high end of the spectrum to begin with. Luckily I won't be in the high end ever, however I plan on going very low (under minor PF), so a squib would be my main concern if I miss a case and the Lock-Out Die fails. Would be nice if they could eventually come out with a micrometered type Lock-Out Die, like within .2 or .3 grains under and above. Haven't fully tested or read how low or high the Lock-Out Die is set to.

Why would you want to load sub minor ammo? Guns aren't designed to be run like that so theres a good chance you're going to have a lot of failures. A 650 with case and bullet feeder seems to be a lot of money to spend to load sub minor ammo. There aren't any gun games that allow that is there? Might as well buy a .22 and lots of ammo instead.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, if you're paying attention most safety procedures and features are not needed. Ask meat cutters or carpenters.

I've seen more than a few squibs from folks who load on turrets or single stages who are claiming "I look at each case with my own eyes to verify blah blah blah". I believe them but...Oopsies happen.

Since I wanted a bullet feeder and I know I really, really wanted that RCBS Lock-Out Die, my only option was a 5 station press. Glad I got the 650, since the Lock-Out Die was my main consideration. I'm still planning on looking at the case each time, but I know there's going to be a time when I don't and then at least the Lock-Out Die will be there to hopefully save me. Of course to do that it has to work correctly and I had to set it up correctly.

However with using Titegroup or other fast powders you still run a risk of using x more grains and still could get a KB if you are already in the high end of the spectrum to begin with. Luckily I won't be in the high end ever, however I plan on going very low (under minor PF), so a squib would be my main concern if I miss a case and the Lock-Out Die fails. Would be nice if they could eventually come out with a micrometered type Lock-Out Die, like within .2 or .3 grains under and above. Haven't fully tested or read how low or high the Lock-Out Die is set to.

I tried the lock out die , and 40 it didn't wasn't reliable with charges less than 3.8 of titegroup . It would let an empty case go through as well as a charged case , would be better with clays or something more filling at low charge weights. The lockout die when back, lots of un nessassary fiddling.