Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rocksett Engineering Adhesive (revisited)

Reshoot

I'm one of those people that likes to be in full control, in this case able to install / remove my own compensator. This led me to research old threads on this very subject. That is when I discovered an adhesive made by Rocksett Engineering. I found some of the comments, and claims, pretty hard to believe but, if so this stuff is just what I have been looking for. I purchased a 2 ounce bottle.

Bench Test: using (2) 1/2-13 bolts w/ nuts, I installed the nuts with a liberal amount of Rocksett and gave them 24 hours to cure. I then placed one in a container of room temperature water for 24 hours. Using an inch-pound torque wrench (set at 60 inch pounds), I attempted to remove the nut from the "dry" bolt. I should have started with a much lower setting, as the nut broke loose easily. When I attempted to remove the nut, from the "wet" bolt, it spun right off with my fingers. And, unlike the "dry" bolt there was no residue on the bolt, or in the nut . . . perfectly clean.

Field Test: I installed my compensator several days prior to a match, using plenty of Rocksett Engineering adhesive on the threads, and set screw. Live fire the day before the match consited of 50 ~ 60 rounds. The match . . . 130some rounds. The compensator did not come loose. I placed the comp and end of barrel in water, after returning home, and left it for 24 hours. The set screw came right out and the comp came off with my fingers. Again, no residue . . . no clean up.

Rocksett Engineering claims their adhesive will hold in tempatures up to 1100 C (2012 F). I have not tested for that, and have no plans to. I am not posting the MSDS sheet, as it is available from their web site. I am posting the small sheet that came with the adhesive . . . hope you can read it.

I give the product two thumbs up . . . for now.

post-23750-0-21492700-1347198520_thumb.j

post-23750-0-17180500-1347202038_thumb.j

Edited by Reshoot

Small detour, but is that the Springer comp? If so did it come with the set screw? I just ordered the full professional kit from Carver yesterday so this info is at a good time. If this stuff works out in the long run it seems to be a good alternative to loctite. What did you use before?

Small detour, but is that the Springer comp? If so did it come with the set screw? I just ordered the full professional kit from Carver yesterday so this info is at a good time. If this stuff works out in the long run it seems to be a good alternative to loctite. What did you use before?

Yep, just like the pic says . . . Springer comp. And no, it does not come with a set screw. I drilled & taped that myself . . . 8-32. I have now shot two matches with this gun, so have never used anything but the Rocksett adhesive.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE - My comp came loose at a round count of 500 (at least that is when I discovered it). Not so loose that I had to stop shooting, but just enough to wiggle. I still had to soak in water to remove, by hand. So, my conclusion is Rocksett can not be used as a permanent lock on my comp.

I am going to continue to use Rocksett, for now, resetting the comp after every match. I'll post any further developments.

Thats quite curious. I have a rifle comp installed with the Rocksett the manufacturer supplied with it. It has been on for at least 5-7k rounds with no issue. I wonder what is different about this application. The shock of the pistol cycling or differential thermal expansion between the aluminum comp and the steel barrel or?

Edited by caspian guy

Is there any contact between your slide and comp?

Nope, no contact between comp and slide.

Changed my mind, and will not reset after next week's match. Will run her until it comes loose again. Perhaps I did not prep as well as I should have. We will see.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I haven't used Rocksett yet because I heard the promise of Loctite 620. Before 620 I was using Loctite 248 I believe, the basic red tube that you can get from walmart. The 620 hasn't done any better for some reason. With 248 I could get 300-400 rounds in before it would start to shift about 5 degrees after which I had to heat it to get it off. Today the 620 proved for a second time that it doesn't seem to be any more capable. I clean the threads with brake cleaner and scrub them with a wire brush before using a dry cloth the wipe them down. I feel like this should be adequate thread prep but I'm not seeing the results. I'm gonna order some Rocksett and see if it works any better unless anyone has any better thread prep advice!

Also, I'm using a 5" Scheumann Hyrbrid undrilled with an SV titanium comp, wondering if the difference in metallurgy = different expansion and contraction rates therefore = comp falling off :huh: