Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't you hate it when...

John Thompson

I just finished  the new trigger job on my new Beretta Elite II.  How did it go?  Well I don't know because when I was trying to put the trigger bar spring back on it when shooting across the room.  And wouldn't you know it, I don't have any extras  AAAAAHHHHHHH @#%*!!!!!!

JT,

YES...I hate it when that happens.  

I have seen a little trick...use a giant, clear, zip-lock type bag...assemble the gun inside.  If a spring gets loose it doesn't go shooting under the water heater.

Of course...I never use the bag.

John I know how you feel. Several years ago I just had to take my old P-9 race gun apart the night before a big match. The P-9's had a flat detent under spring pressure on the thumb safety. Of course it went flying across the garage never to be found again. I spent 3 hours filing one out of a feeler gauge of the correct thickness. Oh the memories of the shooting game:)

Keith

PS Is that the part the Wolf INS conversion replaces? I hear it makes dissassembly/assembly much easier on the Beretta.

keith,

The INS part a captive spring replacement for the flimsy stock trigger spring.  I got the reduced power one that's supposed to reduce pull 20%.  It dosen't and it not smooth either.  It's getting better with a little dry firing practice wearing it in.  The factory spring is the guns weak link.  They even said that at armorers school; they also said the old design was even worse.  The Wold INS spring is a lot easier to take in and out of the gun.  I don't have to use a slave pin with it.

I was out at a match when I had a squib load, one shot into a 27-shot stage (ouch!). Let's just say I didn't place very well at that particular match. So I go to the safety area to take the gun apart and pound the stuck bullet out of the barrel. As I'm turning the barrel bushing to remove the recoil spring plug my fingers slip. PING!! My recoil spring plug goes shooting off into the high grass. Sayonara, bay-bee. Fortunately another shooter had a spare single-stack .45 he loaned me so I could finish the match, but it was a real learning experience. That's never gonna happen to me again. Let's just say that any future disassbembly in safety areas I might be doing is gonna be done REAL carefully.

I've been told that the proper way to disassemble any spring-bearing firearm is as follows:

- Lay out a clean white bedsheet on the floor

- Sit in the center of this sheet with the firearm in question

- Cover the sheet, yourself and firearm completely with another white sheet. Begin disassembly

(I end up listening for the rebound and attempting to guess the surface last-bounced-from from the sound)

(Edited by shred at 3:35 pm on Jan. 2, 2002)

Quote: from shred on 5:34 pm on Jan. 2, 2002

I've been told that the proper way to disassemble any spring-bearing firearm is as follows:

- Lay out a clean white bedsheet on the floor

- Sit in the center of this sheet with the firearm in question

- Cover the sheet, yourself and firearm completely with another white sheet.  Begin disassembly

So.... How often do you actually do this?

Do you do this in private?  

(Edited by Singlestack at 5:39 pm on Jan. 2, 2002)

• 2 months later...

I had to crack up on MidV.Shtr.'s spring thing...

the first time I took to safety off of my P9, I didn't even realize those little things were in there....I found the detent blade in the carpet later on, but the spring was nowhere....