Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 front sight removal

scout308

Finally got my X5 and I am trying to install a Dawson Fiber Optic sight. I cannot remove the original front sight!! ive tapped it lightly with a hammer in a vice took it over to my gunsmith (only builds custom varmint & benchrest rigs so pistols are a hole diff animal) who heated it up thinking its loctited in and tried the punch and hammer in a vice and didnt even move a mm. Whats the trick???

Thanks for the replies fellas

Scout--I'm a little late in seeing your question. I had to take a Dremel wheel and cut the front sight out of my All Around slide to get it out so that I could put the Dawson sight in the slide. SIG pusher wouldn't budge it. You have to be very careful or you will cut too far and put a little groove in the slide. Don't ask me how I know that. I also hope you got a wide (0.140"?) front Dawson sight to go with the wide rear sight.

Joe

You had to get a dremel to cut it out!!!! What the hell is holding them in? My gunsmith had a torch on it and brass punch didnt even move a mm! He said Loctite 620 pops at around 240*C and still no luck! GRRRRR. I have the Dawson .170T X .100W. Will .040 make that much of a difference?

Scout--I'm a little late in seeing your question. I had to take a Dremel wheel and cut the front sight out of my All Around slide to get it out so that I could put the Dawson sight in the slide. SIG pusher wouldn't budge it. You have to be very careful or you will cut too far and put a little groove in the slide. Don't ask me how I know that. I also hope you got a wide (0.140"?) front Dawson sight to go with the wide rear sight.

Joe

Just measured the original sight (still on gun) its .130 wide and the dawson i have is .100 wide. They have a .125 listed for the #6 @ .170 tall

Joe

Just measured the original sight (still on gun) its .130 wide and the dawson i have is .100 wide. They have a .125 listed for the #6 @ .170 tall

Place your 0.100 wide one on top of the slide as close to the current one as you can and see if it is wide enough for you. I don't like as much clear space around the front sight as some people so maybe it is just me, but the 0.100 was just too thin for the width of the rear sight. I have the widest one available now--must be a 0.125, can't remember-- and it is OK for a game gun but not for tight groups at 25-50 yards with my eyes and my capabilities.

Joe

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joe

I've installed a Dawson Fiber Optic front on all three of my X-5's (L1, Comp, and All Around). I put a 0.125" width on all of them and for me it's perfect for running in USPSA competition (Limited with L1 and Comp in .40s&w and Production with All Around 9mm).

I used a Sig Sight Pusher on each one and on my X-5 Comp part of the base broke off of the stock sight as I was removing it as it was on so secure. The other two the front sight popped right off.

Joe

I've installed a Dawson Fiber Optic front on all three of my X-5's (L1, Comp, and All Around). I put a 0.125" width on all of them and for me it's perfect for running in USPSA competition (Limited with L1 and Comp in .40s&w and Production with All Around 9mm).

I used a Sig Sight Pusher on each one and on my X-5 Comp part of the base broke off of the stock sight as I was removing it as it was on so secure. The other two the front sight popped right off.

Just to clarify which pusher did you use? Seems like I get info that some of the new slided dont fit in some of the pushers.

I have a Maryland Gun Works Sig Sight Pusher.

Here is a link to one that is currently available at Midway USA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/196518/maryland-gun-works-front-and-rear-sight-tool-sig

I've used it on three X-5's, two P226 USPSA models (they come with fiber optic fronts but the stock sights were too high for me), two standard P226's (one in .40 and one in 9mm), and on a P229 9mm and a P229 .40. I put a Dawson FIber Optic front on all of them.

Also changed the rear sights on two standard P226's without issue (installed Warren Tactical rear sights) with the same tool.

At some point I will probably do the same with my P220 and P227 in regards to changing front sight.

Edited by JGus