Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy with a reloader on the way and a couple questions

PAcanis

Hi guys.

As the subject says, I've got a reloader on the way. I ordered a 550 through Brian and he was able to piece together a package that should work very well for me. I used to reload many moons ago with a Lyman five-stage. It did not have a very accurate powder dispenser and I remember checking every load and tweaking 80% of them. I am told things have come a long way in this area with the new powder dispensers, or at least Dillon's. And that leads me to a question about the press' placement on the reloading bench.

I am right handed. I used to keep my scale to the right of the press, as this was easiest for me to dump the powder in and adjust the loads, then pick up the powder pan and refill the case, all with my right hand. However, in looking through the thread here on people's benches it seems many of you have the press crowded right into the right corner of the bench. Not much room at all for a scale. I guess the easy question would be to ask if you are left handed, but I have watched many reloading vids on youtube and it seems checking your measure of powder just isn't neccesary anymore, as I never see anyone doing so. I just want to get the press mounted once... in the right spot. There's no sense leaving space to the right of the press if it's going to become dead space. Maybe I'm missing something on the technique of setting everything up and calibrating the powder charges.

Can someone comment on this?

And... I will be reloading (at first) for .45 acp, 9mm and 30-06. I was told I did not need a case trimmer. Before I reloaded for .44 mag and .357 and always trimmed the cases. If I don't trim the cases isn't that going to affect my overall length? Will I still be able to crimp the case in that groove on the bullet (for those bullets that have them)? I don't understand why trimming the cases is no longer necessary.

???

Sorry for what seems like dumb questions. I tend to overthink things.

You really should not have to trim your pistol brass. Straight wall cases are not known to stretch much when fired. Also, the majority of pistol bullets do not have a cannelure groove. Check your case length and i think you will find they do not need trimmed.

Randy

It did not have a very accurate powder dispenser and I remember checking every load. I am told things have come a long way in this area with the new powder dispensers.

And... I will be reloading .45 acp, 9mm and 30-06. I was told I did not need a case trimmer.

PAcanis, if you're using a 550, you don't need to check loads or use your

scale to dispense powder - that's done (well) by the reloader. Loading

3.6 grains is probably no more accurate with a scale than with the powder

dispenser on your reloader (IMHO).

For 30-06, you probably still have to trim and might be good idea to

use a scale to measure your powder loads (if you're not in mass production).

No need to do either with the 9mm or .45. I've reloaded .41 magnum for 50

years and have never trimmed a case.

:cheers:

I think that most people tend to sit a little to the left of centerline so they can peer into the case to check for powder and view the seating operation easier. So, placing the scale on the left side of the press makes sense and is what I do, also.

Not sure if you meant not checking your powder at all or just not checking for each case -

But, I would strongly recommend checking your powder settings with a decent scale prior to every reloading session and occasionally during the session. Stuff happens and if something got shifted you would never know. Also, powder is measured from the dispenser by volume but the stoichiometry of the chemicals is by weight. If for some reason the bulk density of the powder changes then that is going to affect your loads...and unless you are checking weights you would never know.

Edited by Bamboo

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I will leave just a minimal amount of room on the right side then. That will give me a nice working area on the left side (my bench is 60" long).

Jack, so you're saying that I will still need to resize any case that is necked down, just not straight wall cases?

ETA: Brian told me I would not need a case trimmer. And he's who I ordered the 30-06 dies from when I ordered the press.

Is this a controversial question where 50% say you should trim cases and 50% say you don't need to? I don't mean to start a debate, but I'd like to hear both sides.

Edited by PAcanis

I also have my scale on the left. When doing drop checks the case will be left center on the press. It's easier to pull the pin and just put the brass in and out of the powder drop station and dump it on the scale to the left.

I pretty much have things on the left of the press that go INTO the press from the left such as primers, powder and bullets. On the right I have brass for dumping into the casefeeder from the right and the right side is where I work on all the loaded ammo that comes off the press such as case gauge and check oals, clean if needed and dump in the bins, and box up my match ammo.

Hi,

I've found the powder measure on my 550 to be very consistent. Once I get it set, I'll check the powder level with the scale every few hundred rounds. I've never found more than a 1/10th of a grain variation. It works equally well for the powders I use in both my pistol and rifle cartridges. As for my presses location, it's on the left hand side of my bench about six or eight inches from the edge. I load the cases with my right hand and place the bullets on the case with my left hand. I leave the center of my bench clear to facilitate loading primer tubes and gunsmithing chores. My single stage press and bullet sizer occupy the right hand side of my bench. One note, my bench in on casters and can be spun around to allow me to work efficiently at whatever station I'm using at the time.

Jack, so you're saying that I will still need to resize any case that is necked down, just not straight wall cases?

Brian told me I would not need a case trimmer. And he's who I ordered the 30-06 dies from when I ordered the press.

PA, try it, but I was never able to load 30-06 without trimming the cases. But, Brian knows a lot more than I do :bow:

Thanks again for the feedback. Maybe I'll mount it on the right and see how it goes. I can always move it if I don't like it and get a piece of masonite for the top of my bench to cover any extra holes. That might not be a bad idea anyway, as I have one of those Harbor Fright glued together work benches with extra holes in the top for the vice operation.

I like what I'm hearing redbird. That's the kind of accuracy I was hoping for in the powder dispenser.

I did a Google search and it seems like most everyone trims rifle cases, Jack, unless it's 45-70 or something else straight walled. I think I'm going to side with the majority and look into getting a case trimmer. I appreciate you saying you would trim 30-06 cases.

I should be getting the reloader in this week if shipping is as fast as I've read!

I've not owned a 550, but with my Hornady I was able to use some C clamps for the first week or so to fine tune the location of the press on my bench. It wasn't super-stable but good enough, so when I got the drill out it was for keeps.

I've not owned a 550, but with my Hornady I was able to use some C clamps for the first week or so to fine tune the location of the press on my bench. It wasn't super-stable but good enough, so when I got the drill out it was for keeps.

I did that as well and like everyone else, mine ended up on the right side of the bench.

Just make sure you have it nice and tight on the bench.

Dukduk-

As a rule of thumb, I always trim rifle brass and never trim pistol brass (the strait wall stuff).

When using my Dillon I use the scale just for setup and periodic QA tests. Every time I switch my tool head/change calibers I recheck. I have found that the first couple of throws are a little off, but it alway (and I mean always) goes right back to where it should be. Pretty amazing.

I wrote a series of posts on setting up the Ultimate Reloading Bench a while back and discussed the layout of your equipment ad-nauseum. Maybe they'll help you decide where you'd like your press mounted.

Part 1

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/05/2011/02/ultimate-reloading-bench-series-part-1/

Part 2

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/05/2011/02/ultimate-reloading-bench-series-part-2/

Part 3

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/02/ultimate-reloading-bench-series-%E2%80%93-part-3/

Part 4

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/05/ultimate-reloading-bench-series-part-4/

I hope all of this helps and enjoy the press!

Thanks for the links, saibot. I'll have to check those out.

Everything arrived today. I just finished mounting the press to the table, front right. Anyone that has one of those Harbor Freight benches knows that requires a bit of work to miss the vice assembly in that area, but it's mounted and tight.

I found a penny in the box most of the parts came in. I thought it was for good luck, but if it was it didn't work. The cap screws that hold the cartridge chute to the strong mount did not fit the three remaininf nuts. I just got off the phone with Dillon and they are sending me some new ones out. I only called to find out if they were SAE or metric and to get a thread size, but hey, if they want to send them they can. Talk about great customer service. I'm sure I'll scrounge something up in the meantime... if I get far enough that I'm actually reloading and need that chute. Man there's a lot of parts. I suppose I should open the manual that came with it, lol.