Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Magazine Question

Jimbo76

I compared my 140 mm mags with my 170mm and noticed the feed lips are different . They are 9mm and on the 170 mm the side that is closest to the ejection port is cut down strait. On the 140s both sides look the same. I wonder why. Was the cut made to help ejection ? If so, why not do it to the 140s ? Just curios they are factory tubes and hav not been tuned.

I am surprised at no responses with all that viewed the post. My question may have been confusing. Basically on STI Mag tubes in 9 mm the feed lips on the 170mm are different than on the 140mm. Just curious why the 170 has the ejection side feed lip cut down lower than on the 140mm. My concern is that I may have gotten some 140 tubes that are not cut right and may be missing a step.

Thanks so much for the pics. They show exactly what I am talking about. See how the 170 is different ? Mine are exactly like in the pic. I just wonder if cutting down the 140 like the 170 would make them more reliable. I am running a 9mm for stteel and ejection problems are driving me to the edge..

My mags are not tuned they came from Shooters Connection and look just like the ones in the pics. I am thinking of trimming the 140 down like the 170 in the pic. Might help with ejection. One less edge for the empty to bump into !

When I bought a bunch of tubes I also got the two different 'types' ... Though on mine the hole for the mag catch was also different.

So far both have run flawlessly... Like yoshidaex said I figured it was just a manufacturing change to make them cheaper...

I have 3 Brazos tuned 170 mags and the most recently purchased is not "cut down", the older two are. I also have three stock 170 mags and a Dawson tuned 170. Again, the newest mag has the higher extention on the right feed lip. I never noticed this until reading this post. Every one of these work great with Grams internals, with the Brazos tuned mags holding 28 rounds of regular .38 super with plenty of give for loading. The others hold 27.

So if I am reading this right. It appears at one time "tuning" a mag involve cutting the feed lip down on the ejection side as one of the steps. Interesting. I may try this since many say the mags work fine this way and good money was paid to have this done as part of the "tuning".