Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi mag catch

paul788

I'm switching from a single stack to a Para P14 for L-10. I really have to twist the gun to reach the mag release. One local who only does IDPA reccomended the S&A ambi mag release. Does anyone else use it for USPSA? What do those with small hands use for an extended release?

Thanks

Paul

Are you currently using your strong thumb to push the mag release? Some people that I know that have small hands use their weak hand thumb to push the mag release.

A problem that I have seen with people that have the big, oversized mag release buttons or extended paddles is that occassionaly, they might get engaged at the wrong time, like when getting a grip on the gun after the draw, etc. and dropping the mag on the ground. One solution to this problem is to get a heavy spring in the mag release, so that it won't release accidently.

As for extended mag releases, I would look in Brownells. Type in "mag catch" in the search field on the left. Speed Shooters International also carries some and EGW makes a mini-mag paddle that works well. JP makes an ambi mag catch (which you'll find in the Brownells list).

Yes, I use the strong hand thumb to press the release. My single stack has an extended button and I still have to shift the gun to reach the release. In three years of matches I've never dropped the mag when retrieving the gun from a table. Must mean the button is too small. Hmm.

Paul

I know that Lisa Munson, 7-time national champion, has such small hands she uses an ambi mag release on her doublestack .40 so she doesn't have to shift the gun in her hand. She's actually ground off the "normal" button and only uses her right index finger to push the release during reloads.

In case you are interested,

Jimmy Mitchell, Mitchell Custom and the Bulletworks, is about to release a full line of ambi-magazine releases.

He has models for Para, STI/SV, Single Stack, and will be adding one for Caspian's.

Jimmy can be reached through the following avenues.

The Bulletworks or e-mailed at mitch@academicplanet.com

Kenny

I didn't have much luck with the ambi mag release from S&A. My problem was I started shooting with a HK, so I'm used to using the index finger. When I switched to a Para, I had a hard time adjusting. Plus the way I hold the gun, when it recoils my weak hand palm would brush the mag release dropping the mag. So I got the ambi mag release and ground off the left side. Then my index finger started brushing against the button on the right side and since the stock spring is pretty weak, kept dropping mags. I swapped out the spring, pain in the butt to do, it still did it until I got to a spring that I couldn't consistantly push down. So gave up that plan and went back to a regular mag release with an extra heavy spring and just learn to deal with it.

I used to use my left thumb to hit the mag button on the way down to grab a new magazine. I put the lightest weight spring in the mag catch. That technique worked really well for me for a long time, and was fast.

I switched to a Jimmy Mitchell ambi mag release a couple of years ago. I love it. The angle doesn't quit work for me to hit the button with my trigger finger, so I hit the edge of the button with the edge of my middle finger. My mag changes are even faster now.

What I like about Jimmy's mag catch is that it uses the "standard" grip and you can remove it and replace it with the standard mag catch pretty easily.

SVI offers the same ambi setup that Lisa M shoots, I think, but I don't know how that differs from others on the market. For some reason, I was thinking that the grip was different. I'm sure someone will enlighten me?? ;)

Penny

Merle Edington used to use his strong hand middle finger, reaching under the trigger guard, to hit the button. Really slick if your anatomy allows it. Depending on your fingers, you can use a standard sized button, or the slightly raised and enlarged versions from Ed Brown.

Merle Edington used to use his strong hand middle finger, reaching under the trigger guard, to hit the button. Really slick if your anatomy allows it. Depending on your fingers, you can use a standard sized button, or the slightly raised and enlarged versions from Ed Brown.

I sometimes do this on my G35... not as consistent for me as shifting the grip and hitting the button with my stronghand thumb.

FYI, Mike Voigt shifts the gun in his grip when he hits the mag button... not sure if the photo of it in whatever issue of American Handgunner was an exaggeration of his technique for photo purposes, but the gun was shifted A LOT.