Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

speed holster

fenwick

just bought a EAA witness small frame in 9mm.

2 cmplete uppers.one with comp / one without.

anyone have a recomedation for the right speed

holster?

I have the DAA Racer for my small Frame Stock II and it is excellent!! Other options are the DAA Race Master, Speedsec 5 and Ghost. All have pros and cons so best to try each if you can!!!

My vote goes for the CR Speed. Great holster.

CR speed is difficult to make work properly with the large square trigger guard of the Tanfo. Quite a bit of modification needs to be made and even after that the gun isn't as stable as it is with other holsters.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use Hoppner & Schumann Speedsec 5W holster. Price is very reasonable(compared to daa or slb), how is the quality and fit?

I use the Speedsec for Limited, Open & Single Stack. Excellent holster which works really well. Quality is exc and the fit in my three is perfect!!

Where to get them?

Double Alpha in the Netherlands has them for pretty well all pistol models including Tanfogs. There used to be a few distributors in the US but for some reason that has dried up and I haven't seen any available there for some time!

One point I forgot to mention is that the Speedsec will only fit the square trigger guard models not the round trigger guard models!!

I hate to burst any bubbles but you can draw just as fast with a blade-tech paddle holster as you can with a "Race" holster. The paddle holsters are actually more forgiving when drawing from funky start positions, which are becoming more common in matches. I have tried a bunch of different "Race" holsters (CR Speed, Ghost, Speedsec, and Double Alpha) but always end up going back to the simple Blade-Tech paddle holster.

I do like bladetech, have doh type for match and stock 2. I just bought new to me limited with very aggressive slide cuts and they are very sharp.

So when I draw, slide cuts shave off plastics from the inside of the holster. I'm on the fence about speed holster vs keep using bt

Has anyone tried bt speed rig holster. http://www.blade-tech.com/Speed-Rig-D-OS-Holster-pr-1314.html ?

Edited by e-mishka

The blade tech speed rig is nothing more than a standard holster that has the front cut out. Since the front is cut out it does not retain the gun very well. That is why they have it raked back so much. I have seen people get the gun bumped out of that holster with only a slight forward bump of the gun. I say it's not worth the risk of bumping the gun out.

Out of all the race holsters I have tried the best was the CR Speed but it took a ton of grinding and fiddling to get it to work with the large trigger guard on the limited gun. Second best was the Double Alpha race master.

I hate to burst any bubbles but you can draw just as fast with a blade-tech paddle holster as you can with a "Race" holster. The paddle holsters are actually more forgiving when drawing from funky start positions, which are becoming more common in matches. I have tried a bunch of different "Race" holsters (CR Speed, Ghost, Speedsec, and Double Alpha) but always end up going back to the simple Blade-Tech paddle holster.

I agree the draw from a Blade-tech can be as fast as a race holster generally but it depends on the person drawing in the end!! I like the Blade-tech but when I tried it I was alot slower on the draw to target than I was with the Speedsec. That is what I found personally and obviously for my draw motion the Speedsec is the quicker option. As always pays to try them all or as many as you can before making a final decision.

My draw from my DOH was no different than from my DAA Racemaster (I timed them). In fact at first the DAA was slower.

Most of the guys I have seen that draw "faster" with "race holsters" actually don't draw correctly and their 1st or 2nd shots are off. They aren't drawing up and punching out, but slinging the gun out towards the target. Remember that its not a race to get the first shot down range, but to be able to get accurate shots down range.

Race holsters can allow you to draw a little more aggressively because you can start bringing the gun forward once the trigger guard has cleared the retention latch, which is usually only about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of upwards movement. This very minimal upwards movement allows you to perform a "Scoop" style draw which can be faster than an "Over the top" or "From the side" style of draw. The Blade Tech holsters require you to pull the gun up about 4 inches before you can start coming forward. They also don't work too well with a "Scoop" style draw due to the straight upwards movement needed before clearing the holster.

In the end the "Race" style holsters make it seem like they are faster because they allow you to draw the gun with a more sloppy draw stroke when grabbing the gun aggressively. But if you are using the proper draw stroke and grabbing technique the Blade Tech holster is no slower than a race holster.

The major issue I ran into with the "Race" style holsters is that they all had at least one significant disadvantage. Most of them are super fast and smooth when you are drawing from a normal stance and arm position. But if you have to draw from a seated, crouched, leaning, or other funky start position they almost always lead to jamming up on the trigger guard and you end up wrestling the gun out of the holster after the buzzer has gone off. The other major disadvantage is that every "Race" holster has a different way of locking the gun in place when you don't want to draw. Some have very secure locks, others only increase the resistance needed to get the gun out. If you are running around a stage before shooting it, its not too hard to bump your gun out of the holster with aggressive hip movements with a locking system that does not fully lock the gun into the holster. Lastly there is the adjustability situation. Some race holsters have more or less adjustability in the angle and height of the gun. If the holster does not have enough adjustability to conform to your needs then its pointless to use.

Its cool to experiment with different holsters but I wish that I saved my money on trying a bunch of different race holsters. I could have bought another limited gun with what I have spent on "Race" holsters.

• 6 months later...

One thing should be noted. The DAA Racemaster will not fit any large frame Tanfoglio. I have both small & large frame. The small frame fits so well but large frame wiggle when the gun is in the holster. The gun even stuck when I draw. Asked Saul and he said nothing he can do.

I guess when he design the insert for Tanfoglio, he only use small frame for molding.

I'd forced to purchase the CRSpeed WSS II with not much choice.

While I was attending the 2013 Florida Open I seen that they had an opportunity to try out the Universal Shooting Academy race holster. It seemed to fit the trigger guard much better than most other race holsters without needing a bunch of custom fitting. I purchased one and since I had some down time in the hotel after shooting the match I set it up and did a bunch of dry fire practice with it. This holster is MEGA adjustable which is awesome. If you can't adjust this thing to whatever gun angle you need you are doing something wrong. The retention of the pistol is really solid and secure as well. There are two roller magnets that hold the underside of the frame to the holster, I ended up taking off the one closest to the trigger guard to further free up the draw resistance. I probably did 200+ dry fire draws with this holster that day playing around with the different angles and settings. I was able to get it to jam up during the draw stroke if I pulled the grip away from my hip during the draw or did a draw from an extremely crouched stance. These same type of drawing "Jams" happen with pretty much any race holster I have tested with the EAA/Tanfo pistols but this holster didn't do it as bad as others. I did a bunch of back to back drawing testing between the Universal Shooting Academy race holster and my standard Blade Tech and could produce the same draw to first shot times with both. So once again, I am not seeing a time advantage, only a sloppy grip advantage with using the race holster.

The one major detractor I experienced while using the Universal Shooting Academy race holster is that its not very comfortable to wear. The weight of the gun digs into your leg/hip at a single point which gets uncomfortable pretty quick. During my day of dry fire with the holster I was able to create a bruise on my leg/hip were the holster rested and pushed in with all of the gun weight. I can wear the blade tech holster all day and have zero pain or discomfort from wearing it. That can't be said for this race holster. I will probably use this race holster when I shoot steel challenge, but I am going to stick with my Blade Tech for USPSA matches.

While I was attending the 2013 Florida Open I seen that they had an opportunity to try out the Universal Shooting Academy race holster. It seemed to fit the trigger guard much better than most other race holsters without needing a bunch of custom fitting. I purchased one and since I had some down time in the hotel after shooting the match I set it up and did a bunch of dry fire practice with it. This holster is MEGA adjustable which is awesome. If you can't adjust this thing to whatever gun angle you need you are doing something wrong. The retention of the pistol is really solid and secure as well. There are two roller magnets that hold the underside of the frame to the holster, I ended up taking off the one closest to the trigger guard to further free up the draw resistance. I probably did 200+ dry fire draws with this holster that day playing around with the different angles and settings. I was able to get it to jam up during the draw stroke if I pulled the grip away from my hip during the draw or did a draw from an extremely crouched stance. These same type of drawing "Jams" happen with pretty much any race holster I have tested with the EAA/Tanfo pistols but this holster didn't do it as bad as others. I did a bunch of back to back drawing testing between the Universal Shooting Academy race holster and my standard Blade Tech and could produce the same draw to first shot times with both. So once again, I am not seeing a time advantage, only a sloppy grip advantage with using the race holster.

The one major detractor I experienced while using the Universal Shooting Academy race holster is that its not very comfortable to wear. The weight of the gun digs into your leg/hip at a single point which gets uncomfortable pretty quick. During my day of dry fire with the holster I was able to create a bruise on my leg/hip were the holster rested and pushed in with all of the gun weight. I can wear the blade tech holster all day and have zero pain or discomfort from wearing it. That can't be said for this race holster. I will probably use this race holster when I shoot steel challenge, but I am going to stick with my Blade Tech for USPSA matches.

Mind to show a pic how it looks like? =]