Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Capacity AR 15 Magazines

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also bring an assortment of 20/30 round pmags and a 48 round pmag with a Nordic extension. I will generally use the 30 or 48, but that depends on how many targets/shots I plan to take and the only problem I have had was failing to fully seat the mag.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had zero issues with the Surefire 60 rd mags as long as I run brass cased ammo. I know that they don't like the wolf or tula stuff. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved?

• 2 weeks later...

After RO'ing Texas Multigun and Fallen Brethren, the only malfunctions that appeared to be mag related were guys running the nordic extensions or 1 guy running some old British mags. That said most of the nordic issues seemed to be with guys using steel cased ammo. It was neat to see what basically 800 different shooters were running. My nordic blew off after setting the gun in a dump barrel a couple years ago. I've also seen them fold in half when a shooter put too much pressure on them. I just stick with CProducts/AR Stoner 40 rounds for higher round count stages. They are $17 from Midway and hold 43 rounds. 100% reliable over 2 years.

Benny and Josh definitely have the right idea...the stage at Texas Multigun that I worked was 12 rifle rounds yet guys would come up running 60 round Surefires or 48 round Nordic/Pmags.

Edited by wideerhunter

I have found that running the Hornady steel cased ammo in PMAG's witht he nordic extension has been problematic when running them to the full 48 round capacity. So I down load to 42 and have had zero problems. This is NOT a problem with the extension as I've also noticed this same problem with the 30 PMAGS, running them at full capacity.....so I download those to 28.

I actually noticed the problem unloading magazines.....with sooooo much pressure on the first couple rounds, it was hard as hell to get the first few rounds out the mag compared to running brass.

It does seem to be a problem with the steel cases, as I can run all my PMAG's to full capacity with brass cases.

Tim

PS......as for the Nordic extension coming off when dumping them in barrels (IE.....the magazine hitting the edge of the barrel).....I wrap the joint with duct tape to make it stronger. I tried electrical tape, but if you wrap it too tight it will deform and compress the mag which gets you into trouble as well. Also.....I have trained my thinking to DUMP mag before dumping rifle in barrel!!! Saves a lot of heart aches.

Edited by TRUBL

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that running the Hornady steel cased ammo in PMAG's witht he nordic extension has been problematic when running them to the full 48 round capacity. So I down load to 42 and have had zero problems. This is NOT a problem with the extension as I've also noticed this same problem with the 30 PMAGS, running them at full capacity.....so I download those to 28.

I actually noticed the problem unloading magazines.....with sooooo much pressure on the first couple rounds, it was hard as hell to get the first few rounds out the mag compared to running brass.

It does seem to be a problem with the steel cases, as I can run all my PMAG's to full capacity with brass cases.

Tim

PS......as for the Nordic extension coming off when dumping them in barrels (IE.....the magazine hitting the edge of the barrel).....I wrap the joint with duct tape to make it stronger. I tried electrical tape, but if you wrap it too tight it will deform and compress the mag which gets you into trouble as well. Also.....I have trained my thinking to DUMP mag before dumping rifle in barrel!!! Saves a lot of heart aches.

I bought some hornady steel match and am finding the same thing. It is sticky compared to brass. So far it works and I haven't had a jam but I don't like the way the rounds feel going into and out of the mags. I think I'll stick with brass.