Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

last round on mag stovepipes

hal1955

My open glock 34 ejects very well but it almost always stovepipes the last round in the mag. Does anyone know why this happens?

Sounds like an extractor tension problem.

To confirm this, shoot the gun with no magazine in it at all (Load the chamber, then remove the mag). If the round ejects straight down the magwell and out the bottom, it's an extractor problem.

My open glock 34 ejects very well but it almost always stovepipes the last round in the mag. Does anyone know why this happens?

To confirm this, shoot the gun with no magazine in it at all (Load the chamber, then remove the mag). If the round ejects straight down the magwell and out the bottom, it's an extractor problem.

I tried it and the empty case ejects straight down. How do I fix the extractor tension ?

Light loads with a stock recoil spring?

Can you be more specific on the ejection? If you stand still and shoot a mag full at the static target directly in front of you, where does the spent brass go? (Hint, if you are gripping consistently, it should be in a pile.)

Light loads with a stock recoil spring?

Can you be more specific on the ejection? If you stand still and shoot a mag full at the static target directly in front of you, where does the spent brass go? (Hint, if you are gripping consistently, it should be in a pile.)

It ejects very consistently. Ismi 13# spring minus 3 coils, 8 grains of HS6, all the brass is in a nice little pile about 3 feet away except for the last round in the mag which almost always stovepipes. No big deal in a match cuz I never run the gun dry but it is annoying.

Both my competition Glocks do this with no mag in them. They run flawlessly otherwise.

8 grains of HS6,

You might as well say you were shooting a load of frozen Birdseye peas. Gonna need more info on the other variables of your load for that to have any meaning.

It ejects very consistently.
That is good.

... all the brass is in a nice little pile about 3 feet away
That is weak ejection. Is it also directly to the right, or sometimes even a bit forward?
except for the last round in the mag which almost always stovepipes.
With the weak ejection, your slide likely isn't "open" long enough for that last round to get into position. (The others have a round under them to help get them in the right place. The last round just has the follower.)
No big deal in a match cuz I never run the gun dry but it is annoying.

Yeah, that is what I thought until I went to the Nationals and they had 3 stages that ran my gun dry and I ended up with jams on the last round. Cost me 5th place. :wacko:

Ismi 13# spring minus 3 coils,

Why?

Is this an Open gun? (oh...I now see that I missed that on the opening post.)

8 grains of HS6,

You might as well say you were shooting a load of frozen Birdseye peas. Gonna need more info on the other variables of your load for that to have any meaning.

It ejects very consistently.
That is good.

... all the brass is in a nice little pile about 3 feet away
That is weak ejection. Is it also directly to the right, or sometimes even a bit forward?
except for the last round in the mag which almost always stovepipes.
With the weak ejection, your slide likely isn't "open" long enough for that last round to get into position. (The others have a round under them to help get them in the right place. The last round just has the follower.)

8 gr. of HS6 gives me about 1360 fps with 124 grain bullet loaded to 1.160 oal.I use an undersize die and nickel plated brass so there no sticking during extraction.I use a custom steel 3 port comp. The cases land about 3 feet away in a nice little pile directly to my right, the odd case does land in front of me. I cut 3 coils off the 13# ismi spring so that the slide cycles fully. It all works well except fot the last round in the mag stovepipes.

No big deal in a match cuz I never run the gun dry but it is annoying.

Yeah, that is what I thought until I went to the Nationals and they had 3 stages that ran my gun dry and I ended up with jams on the last round. Cost me 5th place. :wacko:

Ismi 13# spring minus 3 coils,

Why?

Is this an Open gun? (oh...I now see that I missed that on the opening post.)

8 grains of HS6 gives me about 1360 fps. I cut 3 coils off the ismi 13# spring to ensure that the slide does fully cycle. I use 124 grain bullets and a custom 3 port steel comp on a LWD barrel. I use an undersize die and nickel plated brass for good extraction. The brass lands about 3 feet away to my right with the occcasional case landing in front of me. It works well except for the last round in the mag which always stovepipes.

band-aid fix: put the slidelock back in? (could even grind off the pad so you don't accidently hit it).

scope and mount? Could the ejection pattern on the last round (w/o a round under it in the mag) be taking a slightly different path out of the port and bouncing off a scope mount?

is this a new problem (ie it worked but recently stopped)? Maybe a new or extra strength extractor spring is on order? Even if not a new problem, a stronger extractor spring could help the issue.

If your trigger setup will let you get away w/ it (not pull it out of battery), could try an 11lb spring to keep the port open longer.

Local open glocker really had to lower his ejection port to get reliable ejection with his scope/mount.

-rvb

band-aid fix: put the slidelock back in? (could even grind off the pad so you don't accidently hit it).

scope and mount? Could the ejection pattern on the last round (w/o a round under it in the mag) be taking a slightly different path out of the port and bouncing off a scope mount?

is this a new problem (ie it worked but recently stopped)? Maybe a new or extra strength extractor spring is on order? Even if not a new problem, a stronger extractor spring could help the issue.

If your trigger setup will let you get away w/ it (not pull it out of battery), could try an 11lb spring to keep the port open longer.

Local open glocker really had to lower his ejection port to get reliable ejection with his scope/mount.

-rvb

I'm using a burris fast fire slide rider so no scope mount problems. 11# recoil spring is scary, does not fully go to battery sometimes. Slide lock lever is in place and my thumb does not touch it. Extra strength extractor would be nice but where do I get one ?

Slide lock lever is in place and my thumb does not touch it. Extra strength extractor would be nice but where do I get one ?

Then why is it stovepiping instead of the slide locking back on the last round? There is your problem, either you are over sprung or too heavy with your comp and not getting full slide travel.

I recently put a white sound extra strength extractor spring in a production G34 that has been giving me fits and it helped slightly.

http://cpwsa.com/white_sound_defense.htm

-rvb

-rvb

I'm using a burris fast fire slide rider so no scope mount problems. 11# recoil spring is scary, does not fully go to battery sometimes. Slide lock lever is in place and my thumb does not touch it. Extra strength extractor would be nice but where do I get one ?

I'm using a burris fast fire slide rider so no scope mount problems. 11# recoil spring is scary, does not fully go to battery sometimes. Slide lock lever is in place and my thumb does not touch it. Extra strength extractor spring would be nice but where do I get one ?

Edited by hal1955

I popped out the original extractor to try a new one. The extractor in the gun was original and marked with a 2. The replacement I have is marked with a 4 ! Does anyone know what the difference is ?

Hi hal1955 I use a Burris FFIII on a slide ride like yours, Just for comparison, my major load 6.6grns. of WAC under a 124grn MG HP 167PF locks the slide back with a 15lb. Wolff spring. G17 with a Carver 4 port comp & KKM barrel.

Did some experimenting today at the range to chrono & tried firing a round with no mag in & all three times it shot the case straight down through the grip. I get consistent ejection till slidelock then it seems to go any direction off the top of the follower. I took a non-LCI bearing from my old spare parts & put that in & it added more tension on the extractor, you could try that if you have one around.

I've heard of all the erratic extraction/ejection problems so I'm trying to find my old other spare parts to try & find my early Gen 2 extractors & compare them to the new LCI ones.

Edited by Glockman1000