Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Platform Decision

Chef J

Currently I shoot primarily IDPA but will be expanding into USPSA in the very near future. I have bounced around between spending time behind Glocks, XdMs and 1911s, what is becoming very clear is that I'm never going to excel with any one platform unless I settle on ONE platform. 2011 it has to be. Since I want the gun to go between IDPA ESP and USPSA Limited I know for sure I want it in .40, with a bushing and a standard/short dust cover. Here is where the tough decision comes in, should I go with a stock STI Eagle or have something custom put together? I recently shot one of Matt Cheely's that was essentially an Eagle done by him and was extremely impressed, not to mention he is about half an hour away from me so giving a local guy business just seems like the right thing to do. Waiting would be the hardest part. I'm looking for suggestions and things to look for in a 2011 as it would be my first. I can be a bit obsessive in my research but I can also look over some of the most obvious details so I'd appreciate any feedback. Just as a point to note I would plan to load both major and minor PF for the gun, but hats another sub-forum.

Thanks

I would say go with Matt since he is so close. Yeah the wait will be tough but he is a top notch smith by all accounts and the wait will probably be worth it. Also with him being so close I am sure he can assist you in getting your gun setup just how you want it since you can visit his shop instead of trying to work it out over the phone.

Plus as you said sending your money to a local guy is always a good thing.

As I can sometimes have the patience of a 12 year old, the other consideration I mentioned to Matt was getting the stock Eagle and brining it to him for finishing touches, trigger work etc.

Id be tempted to have a idpa top end and a uspsa top end made to take advantage of uspsa rules like sight tracker barrels ect

That's actually an idea that has crossed my mind. I should shoot Matt an email and see what his thought are on it, time frame, cost etc.

I would get the standard wide frame and a tungsten guide rod to bring it to near full dust cover weight when shooting USPSA major, then change the guide rod for IDPA. I would also consider tri topping or flat topping the slide to take out a little weight and still be IDPA legal. Oh, and I have had the pleasure of putting a few hundred rounds through a brand new Cheely gun. They are very nice.

Edited by tk4

I would definitely go custom. Matt is a great gunsmith, though I've only shot one of his guns, I wouldn't hesitate to have him build me one.

I agree with the two top ends, it will IMHO, be better in the long run. Since IDPA is more defensive-oriented, have you ever thought about running a custom 2011 for USPSA and getting something like an STI VIP for IDPA?

I would get the standard wide frame and a tungsten guide rod to bring it to near full dust cover weight when shooting USPSA major, then change the guide rod for IDPA. I would also consider tri topping or flat topping the slide to take out a little weight and still be IDPA legal. Oh, and I have had the pleasure of putting a few hundred rounds through a brand new Cheely gun. They are very nice.

That is pretty much the may I'm starting to think, 2 top ends. Probably start with the stock Bushing Eagle in 9mm then ask if Matt can put together a second bull barreled .40 upper tri-topped and maybe lightened a bit specifically for Limited. I'd suspect he would only need it when my place in line came close and since he's local it's no big deal to just hand deliver it to him.

hmmmmm, this is getting more and more expensive the more I think about it

I would definitely go custom. Matt is a great gunsmith, though I've only shot one of his guns, I wouldn't hesitate to have him build me one.

I agree with the two top ends, it will IMHO, be better in the long run. Since IDPA is more defensive-oriented, have you ever thought about running a custom 2011 for USPSA and getting something like an STI VIP for IDPA?

I hadn't considered the VIP, something to look at for sure.

Edited by Chef J

What, if anything are you going to do for a magwell?

You might want to look at the price differnce between the two opitions and how much ammo (and thus practice) that means.

First I have got to say that Matt Cheely is Top Notch in the customer service department, he responds faster than the fire department (no offense to fire fighters). Through a series of at lest half a dozen emails which he literally responds to in minutes, here's the plan.

I'll start with a Dawson CRP Eagle with a bushing in .40 S&W

I'll also find myself a stock STI magwell and shave it to fit in the box, or what appears to be the elusive SVI one that will fit. Easy swap for IDPA

I'll then take the gun to Matt at his convenience to fit a bull barrel and maybe do some additional finishing touches, trigger etc.

Seems like the best of both worlds and it's the least expensive option, leaving funds for more reloading supplies. Matt was completely straight forward with the additional slide idea and it seemed as if it would be cost prohibitive. I can't wait to get this one going, thanks for all the input.

Just get a 2011 already

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

It's ok, it's good peer pressure! I'm envious, I wish I could afford a new trigger, set a lone a new 2011.

Sell your moto, once you get married and she starts popping out kids you'll have little time to ride.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Currently I shoot IDPA but will be expanding into USPSA . I have bounced around between Glocks, XdMs and 1911s, what is becoming very clear is that I'm never going to excel with any one platform unless I settle on ONE platform.

Chef, you found out that it's "better to shoot one platform" to improve.

I found the same thing.

Also found that I improved more by shooting one game - I couldn't go back

and forth from IDPA to USPSA - I kept dropping the mags at the wrong

time in IDPA :surprise:

So, after a few months shooting both, I selected USPSA and dropped the

IDPA, and have never looked back.

If you shoot only USPSA, you can really save some money and get a better

gun set up just for USPSA - just a thought. You won't need drop in

anything - no compromises - no extras - no switches. One gun - one load.

Or buy a 9mm for IDPA - one you actually use in real life... And have your

Cheeley .40 2011 for FUN.

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Jack, your echoing some sentiments I heard at my IDPA practice last night. I'll see how things end up, I wouldn't be surprised if my learning curve ends up the same as yours. If it goes that way I may just use nothing more than a Glock 19 carry gun for IDPA

Or buy a 9mm for IDPA - one you actually use in real life... And have your

Cheeley .40 2011 for FUN.

This is the way I vote. Get that Cheeley gun and shoot USPSA, which you will begin to shoot exclusively anyway, trade the G19 for a G17 or better yet, since I am a CZ guy, get a CZ 75 9mm for IDPA. Then you really will have the best of both worlds.