Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 and .223 Setup

Do I need to add anything to the list below as part of the Dillon order?

I am working with Brian to start loading .223 on a 1050. I currently have another 1050 for 9mm and a 550B for .45 and .308.

Anyone think of anything to add to this order from Dillon to help create plinking level .223 out to 200 yards. I think I will set up the 550B for more precise .223 loading.

1 20485 Super 1050 Caliber Conv: 223 Rem

1 10096 Dillon 223/5.56 3-Die Set - Carbide

1 21393 Super 1050 Quick-Change Toolhead

1 13254 Dillon 223/5.56 Rem Stainless Case Gage

1 21074 Casefeed Plate - Small Rifle (650/1050)

1 22080 RT 1200B Case Trim Motor: Trim Die Not Inc

1 20420 Super 1050 Toolhead

1 20107 RT 1200B 223 Trim Die

1 22127 Universal Decapping Die

I'll probably add a few additional spares to the order, but the basics seem to be there.

Ken

I setup my 650 for depriming, then trimming. The 1050 I backed out the sizer die so the case mouth is "kissed" by it, and the expander ball goes in and out while also knocking corn media from the flash hole. I reckon you could get another 223 die and duplicate my process with the 1050. I prefer the case mouth be shaped up before trimming, just a personal preferance I guess.

1 21393 Super 1050 Quick-Change Toolhead

1 20420 Super 1050 Toolhead

If you get #21393 Quick-Change, it includes both the toolhead and powder measure - hence the 'quick-change'. You wouldn't also need #20420.

Good point on the extra toolhead. I still might get an extra toolhead along with the large primer goodies for loading .45 on it some day.

Decapping pins - I typically throw in additional pins whenever I place an order even though I've gotten decent at bending them back into duty. Sounds like I'll be breaking them on crimped .223.

Looks like I am about there on this.

Thanks - Ken

No matter what machine you put the processing head on you will want to dedicate it to a trimmer. The adjustments to get it just right are lengthy and not ones that will be desired on a regular basis.

I personally process all my 223 brass on the 1050 with a dedicated tool head for sizing, swaging and trimming. That way when I load it there is no need for the swager in station 2 all I need is a backed off sizing die in station one.

Cheers

Retread.

• 5 years later...

anyone got any pictures and tips on setting up a processing toolhead on the 1050 for 223. I have an RL with a RT1200 on it that I am setting up right now. The previous owner could not get it working right and I've only ever loaded pistol ammo on my 1050s so this all new voodoo to me. Currently I've set it up with a Universal decap die in station 2, swage/expander in 3 (I'd much rather have a swage hold down only, no expander), then I intend to put a sizing/decap die, backed off so I don't break the decapping pins in station 5, trimmer on 6, and then done. Does that sound reasonable? I've got a Dillon Carbide sizer, and actually some broken tips I could put on it to hold the expander ball in place. I'm not wanting to run the decap/sizer in station 2 as I'm paranoid about breaking tips, with the universal if that happens they are cheaper to replace. 

So, am I way off base with this plan? 

10 hours ago, slavex said:

anyone got any pictures and tips on setting up a processing toolhead on the 1050 for 223. I have an RL with a RT1200 on it that I am setting up right now. The previous owner could not get it working right and I've only ever loaded pistol ammo on my 1050s so this all new voodoo to me. Currently I've set it up with a Universal decap die in station 2, swage/expander in 3 (I'd much rather have a swage hold down only, no expander), then I intend to put a sizing/decap die, backed off so I don't break the decapping pins in station 5, trimmer on 6, and then done. Does that sound reasonable? I've got a Dillon Carbide sizer, and actually some broken tips I could put on it to hold the expander ball in place. I'm not wanting to run the decap/sizer in station 2 as I'm paranoid about breaking tips, with the universal if that happens they are cheaper to replace. 

So, am I way off base with this plan? 

You are gonna want to start a new thread instead of hijacking this one. In the meantime, do a search. I alone have posted answers to this several times... :) and several others have too...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

• 3 weeks later...