Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MR Bulletfeeder and OAL plus brass shavings

My new MR Bulletfeeder is absolutely the shiznit! Utterly ridiculous how effortless it is to load ammo now. I have no idea what to do with my left hand.ph34r.gif (I can hear the gears turning in Grumpy's head already)roflol.gif

On a serious note I am having a heck of a time getting my oal to settle in since installing the MBF. I speculate that it may be the 121's soft lead points are getting deformed when they drop down into the die and other bullets continue to stack up on them? I am also getting a ton of very fine, almost hairlike, brass shavings from the cases after going through the new MBF powder funnel.

Any thoughts on my bullet theory? I may try to just load bullets by hand and see if my oal goes back to it's usual, fairly consistent, reading.

What about the shavings? will they lessen as the funnel gets broken in or should I take some 800 grit to it right away?

Sarge,

I can help you on the oal issue.I am still playing with mine,i just dont have the time right now.

On my powder funnel i am going to polish it up too. You dont want to take too much off on the diameter of the poweder funnel it might cause issues with the bullet dropping down in the case. You can take a magic marker on the case and bullet and see where the brass shaving is coming from.

My new MR Bulletfeeder is absolutely the shiznit! Utterly ridiculous how effortless it is to load ammo now. I have no idea what to do with my left hand.ph34r.gif (I can hear the gears turning in Grumpy's head already)roflol.gif

On a serious note I am having a heck of a time getting my oal to settle in since installing the MBF. I speculate that it may be the 121's soft lead points are getting deformed when they drop down into the die and other bullets continue to stack up on them? I am also getting a ton of very fine, almost hairlike, brass shavings from the cases after going through the new MBF powder funnel.

Any thoughts on my bullet theory? I may try to just load bullets by hand and see if my oal goes back to it's usual, fairly consistent, reading.

What about the shavings? will they lessen as the funnel gets broken in or should I take some 800 grit to it right away?

Kevin, when I had those bullets I never got a consistent OAL with out a bulletfeeder. I attributed it to the led they put back in there as not being consistent. As for the funnel with use it tends to break in but if your like most of us you don't like to wait. If you don't want to wait just put a light, very light, polish on it. I notice that when I switch calibers the machine I haven't been using takes a bit to stop sticking again on the die but after a few rounds its fine.

Just finished installing the bullet feeder last night and I noticed the brass shavings right away, I'll probably do what Corey said. Will see how it goes after a few hundred rounds, so far I'm just loving it. I also thought the Dillon machine cover will not fit anymore, glad I was wrong.

Why bother changing the powder funnel? What's wrong with the original one?

The funnel that comes with the bullet feeder is stepped which opens up the top of the case without really belling it. I had always read that was one of the drawbacks to using a bullet feeder, that you had to put a lot of bell on the case for the bullets to stay put when dropped. With the funnel from Mr Bullet Feeder there is no "bell" at all just an expanded mouth. It allows the table to rotate without flinging the bullet out.

I run 1050 powder funnels on all my Dillon presses because I didn't like the way new brass stuck to the 650 & 550 powder funnels. With the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel new brass REALLY stuck to the MBF funnel and I didn't like the brass shavings so I run the 1050 powder funnels. I didn't have to change the amount of belling I normally use, and the bullet is seated firmly enough that you have to pull it out of the case.

I run 1050 powder funnels on all my Dillon presses because I didn't like the way new brass stuck to the 650 & 550 powder funnels. With the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel new brass REALLY stuck to the MBF funnel and I didn't like the brass shavings so I run the 1050 powder funnels. I didn't have to change the amount of belling I normally use, and the bullet is seated firmly enough that you have to pull it out of the case.

I actually tried that last year. Since it does not expand the case I was getting bullets drastically off center in the cases. They fed OK but some were so far off center they looked really funky. With the MBF funnel you can adjust it down pretty far to where it barely snags on the case. I have a nice new 1050 powder activator(1050 funnel) in my parts box.

• 6 years later...
2 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Just wondering if polishing the MBF powder funnel helps with the brass shavings. Just got my feeder going on the 650 and seeing LOTS of shavings. This is from a 25 round test run

20181006_090155_resized.jpg

JESUS! Something is way wrong. I get zero brass shavings on my platform from MBF funnel. You sure it’s not set too deep and the seater isn’t scraping this off? There should be virtually no bell with MBF.