Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Assistance 8.6.1

Sarge

If somebody holds an umbrella over a shooter while he makes ready is that assistance? What if the RO is using an umbrella and he holds it over shooters as they make ready?

"No assistance of any kind can be given to a competitor during a course

of fire"

"Make Ready" starts the COF so I think the phrase "of any kind" is pretty clear. I would say keeping the rain off the shooter is assitance of some kind.

So if they do it 8.6.2 seems to come into play.

Any person providing interference or unauthorized assistance to a competitor

during a course of fire (and the competitor receiving such assistance)

may, at the discretion of a Range Officer, incur a procedural

penalty for that stage and/or be subject to Section 10.6.

If somebody holds an umbrella over a shooter while he makes ready is that assistance? What if the RO is using an umbrella and he holds it over shooters as they make ready?

I am more than a little upset that you didn't hold an umbrella when I shot with you!

No, the COF the rules are talking about is anything that has to do with your performance after the buzzer.

During the Make Ready an RO could tell you NOT to do it, because it interferes with his view of the shooter or something like that.

But until the buzzer goes off, you can hand mags, equipment or any number of things and not incur a penalty.

As long as it's safe, and doesn't interfere with the RO.

But, I always ask the RO first, as I don't like to piss off the guy who's going to be following me later in the COF.

No, the COF the rules are talking about is anything that has to do with your performance after the buzzer.

During the Make Ready an RO could tell you NOT to do it, because it interferes with his view of the shooter or something like that.

But until the buzzer goes off, you can hand mags, equipment or any number of things and not incur a penalty.

As long as it's safe, and doesn't interfere with the RO.

But, I always ask the RO first, as I don't like to piss off the guy who's going to be following me later in the COF.

8.3.1 Make Ready This command signifies the start of the Course of

Fire.

If you interfear with a shooter after MR we have a problem. I would have moved you away from the shooter before MR and that means you came back. Not good.

Edited by ktm300