Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 station one woes..

What would make an empty brass go in the shellplate on station one sideways? I guess the bottom of the brass is not laying flat when it goes in the shellplate so when it index to station 2, decap die hits the sidewall and snaps. Broke 2 today and im out of decap pins.

What do I need to check? It just use to jam the upstroke because the brass dispenser on station didn't fully clear. Now, it clears but brass goes in lopsided. Any tip?

I would start by removing the clear plastic feed tube and removing the 2 screws to pull the feed slide and spring out. Sounds like brass is high and misaligned with shellplate. Cycling slide by hand should show the problem.

I had a similar problem, but only with 40 S&W. Turns out, when using the EGW U-Die, the brass was "popping out" of the size die instead of smoothly coming out. It caused a small jarring action that caused the brass to jump right before it entered the Shellplate. Sometimes it would go in; occasionally, it wouldn't. Got rid of the U-Die and it works great now.

Another place where it can stick in a similar place in the cycle is when the case is coming off of the powder die. It it is sticking there, it will pop off and jar the press.

Both of these events are exacerbated by the 1050's small footprint on the bench and/or a little wobble or flex in the bench itself.

The obvious checks include;

1) Is the casefeeder plunger the correct size for your case?

2) Is the casefeeder plunger clean and the correct adapter used?

3) Is the shellplate snug enough?

4) Are you allowing the handle to race on the upstroke?

A less obvious cause is as Braxton mentions, is your bench solid? A weak bench that allows the press to move will cause you headaches.

Slow down a bit, the brass bounces and needs to settle before the upstroke.

Another fix was to chamfer the start edges of the shellplate opening (break the sharp opening).

Edited by RePete

Thank you all for the insight. You all gave me an idea where to look at. I installed the new powder funnel from Mr. B, it expands the case more than the regular Dillon powder funnel and STICKS more than usual shaking the shellplate. Ill take time on the up swing. Thank you!!

Adding to Canuck223:

Are you not fully cycling the press or possibly lifting the handle up and down a little? Both will cause the case to miss-feed and hang-up. If you do get the press to cycle the case to the next station, the sizing die will smash the case mouth.

Cycle smooth and complete--up and down.

Adding to Canuck223:

Are you not fully cycling the press or possibly lifting the handle up and down a little? Both will cause the case to miss-feed and hang-up. If you do get the press to cycle the case to the next station, the sizing die will smash the case mouth.

Cycle smooth and complete--up and down.

I do cycle the press all the way down (until it stops) and up same thing. Coming from 650 I am used to fully pushing it up all the way.

I'll update when I get more decapping pins. I'm pretty sure its the sticking powder funnel since its the newest part added in the set-up.

Since you've isolated the issue to the Powder Die, let me add something:

A trick that I use on the funnel is to keep some Imperial Size Die Wax really close at-hand. Whenever I feel it starting to stick, I'll swipe my left index finger lightly across the wax, then use that finger to apply a VERY light coat on the funnel. That'll last about 25 rounds. After 25, I'll hit it again without re-applying it to my finger.

If you don't have any Imperial around, Chap-Stick works.

Thanks!!

Well, while i was shopping for punch pins, I ordered the wax ;)

Bruce, you are right, it seems that it is more pronounced on 40S&W. I ended up switching calibers since I ran out of 9mm brass. It is a little annoying when I get 1 out of 10. I thought maybe the shellplate is not syncing right <_< but yeah, i think I need to move my press on the side or edge. It is more stable. Or maybe add a thicker board between the press and the bench. The 650 right next to it wont even budge. Frustrating when its all decked out with Mr. B, RF100 then I get jams.. its like shooting an untuned open gun. lol.

BTW, thanks for all the help!

• 3 months later...