Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lead blowback using reloads?

codemonkey001

i'm working up a load of 200gr LRN using a pretty popular manufacturer and was wondering, is it normal to get blowback when loading lead? i get stuff blown back on my arms and towards my face when i shoot. it doesn't bother me too much, just making sure i'm doing everything right. i started loading FMJ but with higher volume shooting, I wanted to save a few bucks so i started trying lead. is the blowback normal or am I doing something wrong? i do not get this blowback loading FMJ. Thanks!

I had some of that with a S&W 627 Pro. Turned out the cylinder wasn't locking up in perfect alignment and was shaving a tiny bit of lead. That and a couple other issues caused S&W to just replace the gun under warranty. I've also seen it on a buddy's Charter Arms 38. Wound up replacing it also. Somebody here will have a better answer to the problem but you're not alone with the problem.

What kind of gun are you using? Is it actual lead? It could just be oil/powder/lube residue.

I get splotches like that when I shoot lead. Maybe the same thing?

This-We need more info- load specs and gun type

hey, guys not sure if it's actually lead that's just what i assume b/c i don't get the same when i shoot FMJ. below is my load:

200gr LRN

5.0gr W231

shot out of a Springfield 1911.

thanks

Edited by codemonkey001

• 3 weeks later...

i'm working up a load of 200gr LRN using a pretty popular manufacturer and was wondering, is it normal to get blowback when loading lead? i get stuff blown back on my arms and towards my face when i shoot. it doesn't bother me too much, just making sure i'm doing everything right. i started loading FMJ but with higher volume shooting, I wanted to save a few bucks so i started trying lead. is the blowback normal or am I doing something wrong? i do not get this blowback loading FMJ. Thanks!

My 25 yard bullseye pistol load is 3.8 gr. HS-700X behind a 185 gr. LSWC for 710-720 fps. Lot's of particles of powder on my arms but nice tight one hole ten shot groups allow me to put up with that minor annoyance.

When you say "blowback", do you mean that you can feel stuff hitting your arms and face? If so, I get the same thing with my PT1911 with lower pressure loads. With "full throttle" 230's I don't see the issue. For my USPSA loads I like 200 grainers. Unique is the worst(down right annoying), HP-38 is a little better, but Titegroup has the least amount of blowback. I assumed that the Taurus has a sloppy chamber and needs the extra pressure the seal it up. I doubt that a Springfield has a sloppy chamber. I am new to this so take this with a grain of salt.