Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New JP stainless "Lightweight" carrier

blkbrd

After inquiring with John P about these he stated they would be out in about 3 weeks. Just after RM3G.

Has anyone seen a prototype? Photo?

Did he take a tactical stainless and lighten it or what?

I wonder about the need for a light weight carrier. A M16 can shoot 650 rounds per minute on full auto. That's over 10 rounds per second and that's with a heavier M16 carrier. Most of us can't shoot a semi that fast but I'm sure a standard weigh carrier can keep up with us.

ERIC,

It's not about making the gun cycle faster, it's about reducing recoil and muzzle flip. If the carrier weighs less, it will slam into the stock tube easier as the inertial forces are less (also reducing, "felt" recoil).

An added plus is the cycle rate going up, but I don't believe that it is the driving factor for a lightened carrier.

I'm still playing the JP aluminum carrier and it is pretty DAMN sweet. However, I'm considering going back to steel, and if so, it'll be to either the skeletonized MSTN or JP's (whenever I get to see one first though).

I could be wrong, but that's my two Lincoln's.

Rich

Newbie questions:

Will the lightweight carrier work with carbine length gas-system and short receiver extension?

Will it need larger volume gastube, like pigtail or fatboy style?

Is the buffer not easier to lighten with the same result?

?????????

You will lighten the buffer tube spring in order for the system to work (among other things if you're using a JP).

As for on a carbine length rifle, the best answer I can give is I think so. Best results are found on JP's website as well as talking to either John or Tim at the shop.

Rich

Oops. I guess I am wrong. I just checked JP's website and it's purpose is to reduce the recoil.

I would be curious to try one if it really works. I already have a Miculek comp on a 20" and I though that setup had almost no felt recoil.

I`ve been having trouble with my CTR-02 running lately. It looks like its short stroking but its actually cycling faster then the mag can keep up. I was shooting with Taran when it choked and went bolt action on me at Area 5. He let me check out the rifle Paul at MSTN built for him. Man was it nice, it pointed and balanced very nice. He put me in contact with him and I talked to him for about an hour discussing what my rifle is doing ( I ordered an upper from him.. :) ). It appears that the alum bolt cycles faster than the magazine can feed the rounds up, Its just too light. After a call to JP.. I told them what the rifle is doing, I got the same answer.. put a stainless bolt in it and go with the lightened one when its available. So.. I ordered a stainless one and put it in.. shot a tune up match last weekend and it ran fine.. 100% with no malfunctions at all. Hopefully it works at DPMS.

CS#158

I ordered JP's stainless steel carrier and am expecting it to arrive anyday. :) On JP's web site, it says that the alloy carrier is for people who are obssessed with cleaning their rifles:

The LMOStm requires more attention and maintenance than our stainless full mass carrier and requires ammo that is precisely within dimensional specifications delivering port pressure within the operational window of the system.  If you are not the type that is willing to put up with the higher maintenance requirements or not meticulous about your reloading, this system is not for you.