Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there any reason not to?

Aiden

So I'm in the process of gathering guns in preparation for 3gunning in the near future, and my question is rather simple.

I need to get a 3gun shotgun. Is there any reason I shouldn't just go straight to a fully upgraded (or at least lifter, extension, bolt handle, bolt release, beveled loading port) Benny Hill/Salient Arms/Accurate Irons/Rose Action Sports/etc M2?

I have a Benelli Super Sport, and I've handled a variety of upgraded M2s now, so I'm pretty set on picking up a Benelli M2. I also believe that buying anything that isn't exactly what you want, is just taking money away from buying exactly what you want.

Price is somewhat of an issue, I very much prefer a good deal on a used M2 even if I can afford a brand new one, but I'd be willing to spend more as long as it's a good deal for me.

Anyway, there are factory 21" Comfortech M2s in stock for 1100-1200 right now, and I'm wondering if I should jump on one of them and upgrade later, wait for a good deal on an upgraded one, or shell out for a new upgraded one. Ideally I'd want to jump on an upgraded one for a good price, but so is everyone else and their mother, so there's no guarantee I'd get one within a reasonable amount of time (or at all).

What would you guys do?

And even though I'm not 3gunning yet, I very much like the idea of a 3gun shotgun, it appeals to what I want from a shotgun that isn't dedicated clays. Shorter barrel, high capacity, reliable, tough, smooth and fast to reload, no Benelli thumb trap...

What I'd do... and bear in mind that I'm a engineer by trade and a gunsmith by hobby... I'd buy the new stock gun, use it, install the parts you need, make the modifications you need... shoot it some more, make a few more tweaks etc etc.

You get the idea.

If you're not mechanical and the thought of doing any work yourself throws you into a hyperventilating tizzy... shell out for a ready to rock gun.

Waiting for a used one to turn up... may take a day, may take a year... and you don't necessarily know if your getting something nice, or something that has been "road hard and put away wet".

Cheers,

C

I'd rate myself as somewhat mechanically inclined, but lacking in tools. I've built a couple ARs (using a gun shop's work bench) and done some basic stuff on my handguns, but no machining. I can loctite screws, punch out pins, and install a magazine tube and Crums lifter pretty easily, but that's probably the extent of what I can do.

I do have a cousin who is an engineer however...and he has been buying a *lot* of goodies lately...

So one vote for the stock M2 and upgrade.

Seems you know what you want??.... Do you have a club were you can try other platforms?...I shoot at Rio Salado and most everyone will let you shoot/try their favorites.. I had my Akdal made into a Firebird Akdal... It's just not ready (my opinion) for competition til some bigger mags/ drums are out. In the mean time, I bought a Mossberg JM 22", a little home gunsmithing and it's ready to go... It's a runner, which I know is important in competition. Unless your mind is made up... these are a very good buy for the $$$$$....IF you can find one???.... Anyhow have fun...What ever you do... They all need a little "tweaking" or at least WE think they do??...DAMMIT!!! I wished that UPS truck would stop bringing all that #7 1/2 shot to the house, I'm getting tired of lugging it around, OH well, .. I'll live..Dang truck...

Edited by mike NM

I believe I do know what I want in the end, I'm just trying to pick the "best" way to get to it and having a hell of a time.

I've actually had a standing order for a JM Pro for about 4 months now, my dealer has not been able to get his hands on one. I'd be pretty happy with one I think, but that was before I owned my Super Sport, and I've since fallen in love with all things Benelli.

If there was a 22" JM Pro in stock nearby, I probably wouldn't be having this issue, I'd have gone with that and been done with it. But in the time since I decided on the JM, my spending power has increased somewhat, and without a wife to regulate how much I spend on my toys...well... :D

But increased spending power or not, I'm still actively seeking the best deals I can, which is the only reason I haven't gone ahead and bought a factory new M2 and a Nordic tube by now.

I also purchased a stock M2 (and previously an M1) and then did the upgrades myself (except the welded lighter and opening the loading area). Looking back now, it wasn't that bad but if you want to start enjoying it now instead upgrade as you get time and dealing with the aggravation that comes with it, go with a modified model. You do save some time with issues that come up along the way and you can start enjoying the game now instead of dealing with problems/obstacles until you get there. My vote is to get it right and what YOU want from the beginning.

I picked up the JM Pro but only because I was on a budget (waiting on a JP then saving for an SV). It runs great and I am more than happy with it, but if money wasn't an issue, I'd buy one of the custom ones you are looking at.

On a side note, are there any real advantages, aside from cool factor, to a lightened bolt? Sure it's a little lighter, but is it enough to make a difference?

Also, has anyone had a 10/22 folding sight installed and decided they didn't like it? I handled an M2 with one installed, it was nifty, but I can hit a target at 50 yards easily enough with a bead so I'm wondering if it's as useful as it could be.

If you stay with a Benelli M2 or even a Remington VersaMax I would just send it out and have everything done on it you want. Why develop a learning curve on a stock gun and then when you upgrade have to change it? Doesn't make sense. I bought a Salient(I'm sure you can throw in Benny Hill/Triangle, Rose, C-Rums, Redneck Tactical, Accurate Iron, Wheaton, etc....) and haven't had a problem since. I feel bad watching some of my friends after they have issues with their home-grown builds or after they shoot mine and go back to theirs :devil: I may be wrong but I believe the lightened bolt on an M2 helps it cycle faster, allowing the trigger to reset quicker so you are less likely to outrun it if you have a fast trigger finger. I personally wouldn't go with the 10/22 rear sight. Have Trapr from RedNeck Tactical put in one of his XS rear sights. It doesn't interfere with using your vent rib for clays or quick stuff but allows a consistent 100yd slug sight pic. Also, much less likely to catch, snag, break or forget to fold it up when needed.

....and I wouldn't limit myself to a 21", in retrospect a 24" would still be fine or even preferred, you'll want to run a 10 round mag tube anyways. When I say 10 rounds I mean of 00 Buck or Slugs which can run longer then birdshot.

Does anyone have a link to a pic of the M2 with an XS sight dovetailed in? Do they sit flush with the rib?

I would really only plan on using the rear sight on a 100yard slug shot, and I don't even know if they can manage that locally (but I haven't looked into it yet). I got a price quote on dovetailing and installing it, and I figured "why not" rather than deciding later I wanted it and shipping, waiting, etc.

And yea, 21" versus 24" is the last question I need to solve at the moment. I had pretty much set my eye on the 21", but in my looking for a good deal, I was considering grabbing a 24" if it presented itself. Luckily the 24" might not be in stock, then I wouldn't have to make a decision :D

Thanks for the link.

Certainly looks more solid than the 10/22 sight, but I was never really a fan of the XS system for handguns.

On a side note, only the 21" M2s are in stock now, so looks like the decision is made for me. :eatdrink:

I'll sleep on it a couple days, then place the order. Thanks for the input everyone! Still got a couple days to decide on that lightened bolt too...

Made my decision, placed an order for a 21" M2 with an almost full package done on it by Rose Action Sports. Decided against the 10/22 sight for now. Pics to follow when it arrives!

I used my M2 last year, with just the front sight, and was pretty confident with it out to 100 yards.

Imagine my surprise when I got down to the Ozarks match and they had slugs out at 130! To my surprise, I actually hit them! :cheers:

You will be happy with Steve's work. I just bought an M2 off of him a couple of weeks ago with the lighten bolt and the fold down rear sight. The more I shoot it the more I like it. Steve does great work and he is a good guy to deal with.

I did get to handle an M2 he worked on recently, which contributed to my decision to go with RAS. Cannot wait for mine to arrive!

All that's left now is to pick up an AR15.